SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   i just registered, big step! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/299643-i-just-registered-big-step.html)

apophylite 07-06-2013 12:43 AM

Thank you harvestqueen and endstage, today is day four and I have woken up feeling truly fabulous. Got through a bbq last night with no cravings and actually enjoyed the food:) my house is immaculate, my ironing basket empty and I went to bed and cuddled my husband and chatted instead of passing out after two bottles of wine. Today is my first Saturday at work with no hangover in a very long time. I know there may be difficult days but right now life feels good:)

EndStage 07-06-2013 12:55 AM

I am not saying this to be harsh or mean and I hope you do not take it that way. A couple things I am about to say, I wish someone would have told me in my early EARLY stages of sobriety. Do not be over confident in your sobriety because over-confidence at any time can knock you back down all the way back to the bottom.
Sobriety is not a cure-all for the elimination of every problem in life.
Hang in there Apophylite. I never would have imagined that I would ever be 3 + months sober. Take it one day at a time. Sometimes it will have to be one moment or even one miniute at a time.

Nighthawk8820 07-06-2013 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by apophylite (Post 4047546)
Hi all
I have been reading posts on the site for a few weeks now, and still told myself my drinking was ok. I am 40 years old with a husband, a 20 year old, and a 6, and 4 year old. I am the head therapist in spa in a four star hotel. I am actually, and the penny has finally dropped a functioning alcoholic.
I come from a family of big drinkers, one of whom has just been in hospital after an overdose taken at 7pm because she was so drunk.
i have kidded myself up to now i can control it, but i dont think i can. I need to change but i am scared of doing it.

The fear you feel facing the unknown is so normal, and we have all experienced it. With sobriety, you just sort of have to let go and dive in head first. I thought I would surely fail, not ever have fun again, be lonely and bored, and why bother? That is not how it turned out, and I am so thankful to be where I am today........2 years sober and living how I never imagined when I was trapped in the cycle of addiction. It can be scary, but most things in life that matter or are worth anything, usually are. The fact you are here, have been reading posts, is a sign you are fed up with how you live now and want the change. That is the best place to arrive at, because now you can go after what you want. Dont be afraid buddy, it will get better. Do the work, make a plan, stick to it, get help if you need it, and go as slow as you want. It really is a much better way to live (sobriety). I wish you the best life has to offer.