SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   i drank/relapsed and i'm glad I did... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/298573-i-drank-relapsed-im-glad-i-did.html)

avocado 06-21-2013 11:25 PM

i drank/relapsed and i'm glad I did...

so i had about 5 and a half months into sobriety and I showed up to san francisco and had a few drinks with a friend, then didn't drink again for a week. I went to a resort for a couple days and on the way back through wine country i had a beer with dinner since y'know, i had a few in san fran with no issues. then, I stopped in a small napa valley town and wound up being there for two days getting sloppy, followed by another 5 days in marin county area getting REALLY sloppy. I mean, passing out on benches sloppy. So stupid, and when the whirlwind finally passed I basically felt like a complete waste of life for a couple days, but now today I'm feeling good again and thinking maybe I needed this to show myself that, no, even though I might be able to drink one or two beers it will very likely lead to a massive relapse. And I'm lucky this time that just some embarrassing behavior in places where no one knows me occurred, and spending ,ore money than frankly I can afford to spend, especially on self-hatred and self-destruction, and I'm now back on a track that I was getting way too comfortable with the idea of leaving, and all I really have to show for it is some bad feelings for a few days and a rather painful financial 'injury' due to the overspending, but like all financial semi-crises I shall recover.

Anyway, posting for the first time in a while cuz I've been traveling and I thought maybe someone's in my boat and my words could help them get through the bad feelings, or perhaps they're thinking about jumping in that boat I got myself in to for a stupid week - DON'T DO IT!!!!!

Nuudawn 06-21-2013 11:33 PM

Although I can't say I've ever comfortable when people go to a place of self loathing and shame after a relapse..can't say I'm all that comfortable with the "glad I did" part either.

Ah well, if you learned something..that isn't forgotten in another 5 or 6 months I guess it's worthwhile.

All the best Avocado..keep on keeping on.

mecanix 06-22-2013 12:08 AM

Quitting took a long time for me , i'm not sure if i'd class that time as relapsing or not .. it spanned years .
My head was there, i knew i should do it, that i had a problem but emotionaly i couldn't get it .
When i quit, sept 2011 i had an emotional revelation .

Relapse just is'nt part of my recovery, i have nothing to prove, there is peace and serenity . For me the battles are over , so is the war .

Take care ,

Bestwishes, M

TopSecret 06-22-2013 12:13 AM

My last relapse led me into a 2 year run. I believe I would not be where I am spiritually and mentally if not for that experience. My recovery is stronger than ever. It put things really into perspective for me. I now understand the program I need to work. During that time our disease took the life of my best friend. God has different plans for me.

least 06-22-2013 12:57 AM

Glad you're back on the right track now.:)

MidnightBlue 06-22-2013 01:01 AM

Thank you for sharing this, Avocado!

It's a great reminder to everyone who has some considerable sober time under the belt that the road to drinking hell start with "just one".

Best wishes to you)

Dee74 06-22-2013 02:06 AM

good to see you back avocado :)

I really hope you can make this into a turning point :)

D

fantail 06-22-2013 02:52 AM

Avocado, glad you're back :)