SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Did I mess up?? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/295712-did-i-mess-up.html)

Duffster 05-24-2013 05:16 PM

Did I mess up??

It's been a rough week and my anxiety has been out of control. I met some friends for breakfast this morning and a friend gave me a xanax. I took it and felt great afterward. I just googled it and found it's a benzo which I've seen people talk about here. Did I mess up my sobriety? She gave me a handful, should I flush them? It worked so well I was seriously considering asking my doc for a prescription.

oak 05-24-2013 05:22 PM

If you want to take medication, I would strongly advise talking to your doctor and getting a prescription. (and find out what the withdrawal effects will be when you stop taking the medication)

Personally, if I was taking someone else's meds (especially benzos), I would not consider myself sober.

Dee74 05-24-2013 05:24 PM

Like I said in the other thread, it's never a good idea to take someone else's prescription.
If you're having problems, see your Dr. - it's the best way to go Duff.

I wouldn't take any more if it was me.

D

Duffster 05-24-2013 05:27 PM

Back to day one then. I need to get this anxiety straightened out and do have the name of a great GP. What was I thinking???

zany90 05-24-2013 05:52 PM

dont look at it like back to square one. just look at it as a continuing recovery process. since i quit drinking my anxiety has been very high to the point of shaking hands and racing heart, sweating etc, but one thing i steer clear of is benzodiazepines. i abused those too and the minute i take one of those im taking a strip then its usually a downward spiral towards the bottle again. be careful of benzos they are great at the time being wrapped in a warm comfy blanket but high risk for someone with an addiction problem

ACT10Npack 05-25-2013 12:43 AM

Don't know your background on your addiction but is never a good ideal to take a drug that was nor prescriptive by your doctor and you know if the drug you just took was really the drug you took.

Talana 05-25-2013 12:47 AM

With a friend like that who needs enemies.
Does she know that you're trying to get sober?

Midlifecrisis 05-25-2013 12:57 AM

I would be very careful with Xanax or any benzo. So addictive and so hard to come off. I would flush them (well, I personally would never have been able to flush them but you really should!)

Duffster 05-25-2013 04:52 AM

Thank you all! They are gone.

Torso 05-25-2013 04:57 AM

It sounds like from your first post you haven't had much experience with benzo's... and so if they haven't ever been a problem, then I don't see why you should have to start over.

Yes you shouldn't of taken a prescription drug not prescribed, but you didn't really know what it was. Now you know, don't do it again, but don't throw away your previous sobriety time for a mistake that was not intentional 'using'.

Just my thoughts.