Notices

Did I mess up??

Old 05-24-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did I mess up??

It's been a rough week and my anxiety has been out of control. I met some friends for breakfast this morning and a friend gave me a xanax. I took it and felt great afterward. I just googled it and found it's a benzo which I've seen people talk about here. Did I mess up my sobriety? She gave me a handful, should I flush them? It worked so well I was seriously considering asking my doc for a prescription.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
oak

If you want to take medication, I would strongly advise talking to your doctor and getting a prescription. (and find out what the withdrawal effects will be when you stop taking the medication)

Personally, if I was taking someone else's meds (especially benzos), I would not consider myself sober.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like I said in the other thread, it's never a good idea to take someone else's prescription.
If you're having problems, see your Dr. - it's the best way to go Duff.

I wouldn't take any more if it was me.

D
Old 05-24-2013, 05:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Back to day one then. I need to get this anxiety straightened out and do have the name of a great GP. What was I thinking???
Old 05-24-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

dont look at it like back to square one. just look at it as a continuing recovery process. since i quit drinking my anxiety has been very high to the point of shaking hands and racing heart, sweating etc, but one thing i steer clear of is benzodiazepines. i abused those too and the minute i take one of those im taking a strip then its usually a downward spiral towards the bottle again. be careful of benzos they are great at the time being wrapped in a warm comfy blanket but high risk for someone with an addiction problem
Old 05-25-2013, 12:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Don't know your background on your addiction but is never a good ideal to take a drug that was nor prescriptive by your doctor and you know if the drug you just took was really the drug you took.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

With a friend like that who needs enemies.
Does she know that you're trying to get sober?
Old 05-25-2013, 12:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would be very careful with Xanax or any benzo. So addictive and so hard to come off. I would flush them (well, I personally would never have been able to flush them but you really should!)
Old 05-25-2013, 04:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all! They are gone.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It sounds like from your first post you haven't had much experience with benzo's... and so if they haven't ever been a problem, then I don't see why you should have to start over.

Yes you shouldn't of taken a prescription drug not prescribed, but you didn't really know what it was. Now you know, don't do it again, but don't throw away your previous sobriety time for a mistake that was not intentional 'using'.

Just my thoughts.