SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Craving and NOT in a good mood (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/295503-craving-not-good-mood.html)

Angiekins3 05-22-2013 03:19 PM

Craving and NOT in a good mood

Hi everyone
Today is day 17 for me sober but man am I in a pissy mood tonight and all I wanna do is drink!!!! I have my first call into my sponsor tonight and I am not so sure WHAT has my feathers all ruffled. I am being a down right bitch!!! Any advice Im trying to take one minute at a time but tonight is especially hard
Thanks everyone
Angie

GroundhogDay 05-22-2013 03:28 PM

Go to bed really early. Tomorrow is a new day.

Bubovski 05-22-2013 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Angiekins3 (Post 3978841)
Hi everyone
Today is day 17 for me sober but man am I in a pissy mood tonight and all I wanna do is drink!!!! I have my first call into my sponsor tonight and I am not so sure WHAT has my feathers all ruffled. I am being a down right bitch!!! Any advice Im trying to take one minute at a time but tonight is especially hard
Thanks everyone
Angie

Thanks Angie.
When I feel that way I use the acronym FIASU.......feel it and shut up, it helps a bit.:You_Rock_

LindaIam 05-22-2013 04:14 PM

Hi Angie, I know what ya mean! I have no sponsor and I am doing this alone. I have been sober 10 days. I have never been a heavy drinker. I've drank off and on for the past 20 years. I've never thought of myself as an alcoholic, but have often thot, I could become one if I wasn't careful. At what point do you actually "become" an alcoholic? I am so ill and so emotional right now, I don't know what to do!! For the past 6 months I have drank almost everyday until 10 days ago. I don't think I've ever felt this way b4 after stopping drinking or if I did I didn't associate it with alcohol. Or if I felt this bad, I'd just go and get something to drink! I'm at the point now that I just feel like telling everybody that I have a drinking problem and that I've used it to cope all these years............not that anyone would care, they would just judge me! I don't know why it's sooo hard this time. I have went months w/o drinking plenty of times. I guess life is just getting harder and I have numbed it with alcohol for too long.

Angiekins3 05-22-2013 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by LindaIam (Post 3978902)
Hi Angie, I know what ya mean! I have no sponsor and I am doing this alone. I have been sober 10 days. I have never been a heavy drinker. I've drank off and on for the past 20 years. I've never thought of myself as an alcoholic, but have often thot, I could become one if I wasn't careful. At what point do you actually "become" an alcoholic? I am so ill and so emotional right now, I don't know what to do!! For the past 6 months I have drank almost everyday until 10 days ago. I don't think I've ever felt this way b4 after stopping drinking or if I did I didn't associate it with alcohol. Or if I felt this bad, I'd just go and get something to drink! I'm at the point now that I just feel like telling everybody that I have a drinking problem and that I've used it to cope all these years............not that anyone would care, they would just judge me! I don't know why it's sooo hard this time. I have went months w/o drinking plenty of times. I guess life is just getting harder and I have numbed it with alcohol for too long.

I totally can relate! I have found that talking to others (that you can relate to and that work a program) definitely helps. Try to find a sponsor. I have found it pretty hard to (I do have a temp one right now) but keep looking. That I think is HUGE!!! Mine is having me call in every night even if its just to check in and she can hear my voice. You can tell a lot from the way someone sounds...
I totally understand...
Angie

Angiekins3 05-22-2013 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Murchovski (Post 3978860)
Thanks Angie.
When I feel that way I use the acronym FIASU.......feel it and shut up, it helps a bit.:You_Rock_

hmmm your right lol
Angie

DG0409 05-22-2013 04:35 PM

I found that 95% of the time during those early days that when I felt bad it was actually due to low blood sugar. A healthy snack and two glasses of water was a surprisingly magical cure.

In fact, I still find I get moody when I go too long without eating. I felt AWFUL a few moments ago, but a sandwich and a bottle of water has me back to new now. :)

There were a few days in there that I had a terrible mood for a few days straight and nothing I did seemed to help... but I waited it out and my mood has leveled out a lot.

DisplacedGRITS 05-22-2013 05:13 PM

How about getting to a meeting in addition to calling your sponsor? Get to the meeting early and stay late to talk to some fellow alcoholics. If there's a newbie there, talk to them and welcome them. Get out of your head without alcohol. We have many options. Meetings, talking to other alcoholics, reading the Big Book, posting and reading here just to name a few. This sounds silly, but do you need a snack or some water? We tend to forget that those things can effect our mood. You don't need booze, you need to shift your focus.