SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   It stops today! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/295425-stops-today.html)

steve-in-kville 05-21-2013 06:01 PM

It stops today!

Hi folks. Time to end my drinking. I cannot control it. I had stopped for two weeks about a month ago, but made the mistake of walking into the liqupr store. Then it started all over.

Tired of being sick & tired. I've been keeping it hidden from my family and co-workers. The money I've spent on booze is staggering. I am lying to myself and my family.

I need help.

ImperfectlyMe 05-21-2013 06:15 PM

Orion there is lots if help here.... Welcome! Do you have a plan or family support?

steve-in-kville 05-21-2013 06:20 PM

No plan. My family thought I had quit last summer. I had a for maybe a month but started again. I've become pretty slick at hiding it, much to my shame.

I've quit a few times since, dumping out bottles vowing never to drink again. But I always get reeled back in. Most of my weekends are spent half-in-the-bag and I still was functionable.

Its a long story. But I would suppose it is for everyone.

ImperfectlyMe 05-21-2013 06:24 PM

I dranks almost nightly wine it wasn't always that way snuck up on me. I have only been sober 43 days but I must say it feels great. I haven't done AA or any organized recovery method mostly using this site.

The fact that my husband knows keeps me from slipping accountability is a huge key in success. Maybe opening up to a close love one would free you and make forgetting your goals a little harder!

Wish you all the best

Ozarkcowboy 05-21-2013 06:31 PM

O90,
You have taken the first step, you are at the beginning of a tough journey. The destination is fantastic but it will be a rough road at first. The end is worth the means though. Best wishes to you. I hung out/lurked here several times a day here at first and still check in pretty much daily. Never would have made it without the support and reinforcement I've found here on SR. It is a big help to know that you are not ever going to be alone on this trip.
Ask and you will find someone who will listen and give you support/encouragement who has been right where you are anywhere along the way.

Oh and WELCOME!!!!

Hevyn 05-21-2013 06:32 PM

Welcome Orion. You'll find the support and encouragement you're looking for here. You won't regret making this life changing decision. I think you should be proud for admitting what it's doing to you. Some never see it, and spend many years trying to manage their drinking - with disastrous results (like me).

Keep reading and posting here. You'll see you aren't alone and we all understand. Glad to have you with us.

steve-in-kville 05-21-2013 06:37 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome. As mentioned, in late April I stopped for two weeks. After the two weeks I thought I would be able to control it so I kept some scotch to sip on for that special occassion.

I was wrong. I hammered most of the bottle in one Friday night and was at the state store first thing Saturday morning for the biggest, cheapest jug of canadian whisky I could find. Nursed that bottle for the remainder of the weekend.

Like I said, we all could tell stories. Except now I feel like I can tell them to someone who understands.

Dollyangel17 05-21-2013 06:38 PM

Welcome! I also planned to quit on my own so many times, and like you even dumped some out. Of course I just replaced it later the same day. It wasn't until my husband told me what I already knew...he thought I had a drinking problem.

With that, I really did quit, because now I do have accountability. It really does help.

Best wishes, and hope you stay with us!

least 05-21-2013 07:06 PM

:welcome to a very supportive place.:) SR is always here so there's someone online at all times. Very helpful to me if I'm awake in the middle of the night.

You won't regret going sober. I only regret I didn't do it sooner.

Dee74 05-21-2013 07:10 PM

Welcome Orion :)

no matter what method you eventually end up using, I think you need to be prepared to make a lot of changes and find whatever support you need to make this stick.

There's a lot of support here :)

D

Anna 05-21-2013 07:15 PM

Welcome!

It sounds like you're ready to stop drinking and we are here to offer support.

As Dee said, it takes more than just stopping drinking though. It takes a lot of changing as well.

steve-in-kville 05-22-2013 02:06 AM

Thanks again for the help. I want to make this coming holiday weekend my first sober one in nearly 12 years!

GracieLou 05-22-2013 02:14 AM

My advice is not to look towards the weekend. Try one day at a time. A simple 24 hours. I know for me I was setting myself up for failure every time I tried to look to far ahead and for me tomorrow is to far ahead.

steve-in-kville 05-22-2013 02:57 PM

Day 2.... going okay. Taking one day at a time.

ImperfectlyMe 05-22-2013 03:00 PM

Great job!

steve-in-kville 05-22-2013 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by GracieLou (Post 3977946)

My advice is not to look towards the weekend. Try one day at a time. A simple 24 hours. I know for me I was setting myself up for failure every time I tried to look to far ahead and for me tomorrow is to far ahead.

I am really trying this. I have a lot of outside garden work to do this weekend and I am hoping to stay focused on that. Keep busy and stay active.