Notices

It stops today!

Old 05-21-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

It stops today!

Hi folks. Time to end my drinking. I cannot control it. I had stopped for two weeks about a month ago, but made the mistake of walking into the liqupr store. Then it started all over.

Tired of being sick & tired. I've been keeping it hidden from my family and co-workers. The money I've spent on booze is staggering. I am lying to myself and my family.

I need help.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Orion there is lots if help here.... Welcome! Do you have a plan or family support?
Old 05-21-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No plan. My family thought I had quit last summer. I had a for maybe a month but started again. I've become pretty slick at hiding it, much to my shame.

I've quit a few times since, dumping out bottles vowing never to drink again. But I always get reeled back in. Most of my weekends are spent half-in-the-bag and I still was functionable.

Its a long story. But I would suppose it is for everyone.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I dranks almost nightly wine it wasn't always that way snuck up on me. I have only been sober 43 days but I must say it feels great. I haven't done AA or any organized recovery method mostly using this site.

The fact that my husband knows keeps me from slipping accountability is a huge key in success. Maybe opening up to a close love one would free you and make forgetting your goals a little harder!

Wish you all the best
Old 05-21-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

O90,
You have taken the first step, you are at the beginning of a tough journey. The destination is fantastic but it will be a rough road at first. The end is worth the means though. Best wishes to you. I hung out/lurked here several times a day here at first and still check in pretty much daily. Never would have made it without the support and reinforcement I've found here on SR. It is a big help to know that you are not ever going to be alone on this trip.
Ask and you will find someone who will listen and give you support/encouragement who has been right where you are anywhere along the way.

Oh and WELCOME!!!!
Old 05-21-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Orion. You'll find the support and encouragement you're looking for here. You won't regret making this life changing decision. I think you should be proud for admitting what it's doing to you. Some never see it, and spend many years trying to manage their drinking - with disastrous results (like me).

Keep reading and posting here. You'll see you aren't alone and we all understand. Glad to have you with us.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcome. As mentioned, in late April I stopped for two weeks. After the two weeks I thought I would be able to control it so I kept some scotch to sip on for that special occassion.

I was wrong. I hammered most of the bottle in one Friday night and was at the state store first thing Saturday morning for the biggest, cheapest jug of canadian whisky I could find. Nursed that bottle for the remainder of the weekend.

Like I said, we all could tell stories. Except now I feel like I can tell them to someone who understands.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! I also planned to quit on my own so many times, and like you even dumped some out. Of course I just replaced it later the same day. It wasn't until my husband told me what I already knew...he thought I had a drinking problem.

With that, I really did quit, because now I do have accountability. It really does help.

Best wishes, and hope you stay with us!
Old 05-21-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to a very supportive place. SR is always here so there's someone online at all times. Very helpful to me if I'm awake in the middle of the night.

You won't regret going sober. I only regret I didn't do it sooner.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Orion

no matter what method you eventually end up using, I think you need to be prepared to make a lot of changes and find whatever support you need to make this stick.

There's a lot of support here

D
Old 05-21-2013, 07:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

It sounds like you're ready to stop drinking and we are here to offer support.

As Dee said, it takes more than just stopping drinking though. It takes a lot of changing as well.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks again for the help. I want to make this coming holiday weekend my first sober one in nearly 12 years!
Old 05-22-2013, 02:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Orion

My advice is not to look towards the weekend. Try one day at a time. A simple 24 hours. I know for me I was setting myself up for failure every time I tried to look to far ahead and for me tomorrow is to far ahead.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Day 2.... going okay. Taking one day at a time.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great job!
Old 05-22-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
Welcome Orion

My advice is not to look towards the weekend. Try one day at a time. A simple 24 hours. I know for me I was setting myself up for failure every time I tried to look to far ahead and for me tomorrow is to far ahead.
I am really trying this. I have a lot of outside garden work to do this weekend and I am hoping to stay focused on that. Keep busy and stay active.