SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Need to quit (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/293837-need-quit.html)

Djulz 05-06-2013 01:45 PM

Need to quit

Hi all. So im new. Not sure what to say or if i belong here. Basically for the last 10 years on and off i have drank a bottle of wine most nights. I never feel like i want to drink through the day, but i cant shift gear without it at night. I now worry i have damaged my health. In a nutshell, i dont want to do it anymore, pretty much it......want to be happier, healthier and in control

gmanriley 05-06-2013 01:48 PM

Then don't do it anymore..
Go to an AA meeting, use this website for guidance and substitute something else instead of wine... you can do it.

Djulz 05-06-2013 02:00 PM

Not sure i could go to AA, and i think i can manage... i am ready to stop, will see how i do with the forum. Thanku for the post :)

Living 05-06-2013 03:33 PM

Keep reading the posts on SR and you will see how nice it is being sober. Good Luck!

Djulz 05-06-2013 03:44 PM

Thakyou

That post on its own inspires me. To know there is excitement ahead so thanku x

Darkplace2013 05-06-2013 03:47 PM

I've found reading even articles on the net helps. Best of luck

DFU 05-06-2013 04:33 PM

In my opinion, the scariest part is making the decision to quit and the hardest was the first day. AA works for many including me, but there are certainly other options! Best of luck to you!

Dee74 05-06-2013 04:39 PM

Welcome Djulz :)

I don't think it's the volume or frequency that defines a problem so much as how drinking ultimately makes you feel.

if you're concerned then it's right to quit - and you've found the right place to help you do that :)

D

Hevyn 05-06-2013 04:44 PM

Hi Djulz! Welcome to SR - a wonderful place for support, hope, and encouragement.

There certainly is life after alcohol - and yes, excitement & happiness too. :) We don't need it the way we've convinced ourselves we do. I'm glad you want to make this big change in your life - I hope being here will help.

Djulz 05-07-2013 01:01 AM

Thank you everyone. I'm quite determined. No longer enjoying it as in starting to feel a noose around my neck, sick of waking up tired and hungover and not remembering everything from night before. Hardest will be the weekend but I know I'll feel great waking up fresh x

Leona 05-07-2013 01:26 AM

Hi Djulz, I was also worried about the weekends because for me weekends meant wine. I thought it was my reward for getting through a busy week. I can't tell you how great it is to wake up on Saturday and Sunday morning hangover free. That is my reward and it just feels so much better than the alternative. Keep close to SR, it is such a support.

MythOfSisyphus 05-07-2013 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Djulz (Post 3954176)
Thank you everyone. I'm quite determined. No longer enjoying it as in starting to feel a noose around my neck, sick of waking up tired and hungover and not remembering everything from night before. Hardest will be the weekend but I know I'll feel great waking up fresh x

Welcome to SR! You put it well. Early on we all think that booze is a reward but eventually it becomes a noose, a chain, a cross we're forced to bear. Normal people stop when the fun wears off and it starts to become work. That's why we're not normal. It takes strength and wisdom, and maybe some humility, to accept that we're not calling the shots anymore.

Good luck to you! You can stop drinking. There are lots of resources available. One size may not fit all. The important thing is find what works for you and do whatever you must to stay sober.

Djulz 05-07-2013 02:30 AM

No more battles, should I or shouldn't I have wine tonight. Feeling let down by myself and miserable in the morning. I already feel relieved
Thanku for the support, I'm sure it will be a huge help to me