Notices

Need to quit

Old 05-06-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need to quit

Hi all. So im new. Not sure what to say or if i belong here. Basically for the last 10 years on and off i have drank a bottle of wine most nights. I never feel like i want to drink through the day, but i cant shift gear without it at night. I now worry i have damaged my health. In a nutshell, i dont want to do it anymore, pretty much it......want to be happier, healthier and in control
Old 05-06-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Then don't do it anymore..
Go to an AA meeting, use this website for guidance and substitute something else instead of wine... you can do it.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not sure i could go to AA, and i think i can manage... i am ready to stop, will see how i do with the forum. Thanku for the post
Old 05-06-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Keep reading the posts on SR and you will see how nice it is being sober. Good Luck!
Old 05-06-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thakyou

That post on its own inspires me. To know there is excitement ahead so thanku x
Old 05-06-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've found reading even articles on the net helps. Best of luck
Old 05-06-2013, 04:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
DFU

In my opinion, the scariest part is making the decision to quit and the hardest was the first day. AA works for many including me, but there are certainly other options! Best of luck to you!
Old 05-06-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Djulz

I don't think it's the volume or frequency that defines a problem so much as how drinking ultimately makes you feel.

if you're concerned then it's right to quit - and you've found the right place to help you do that

D
Old 05-06-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Djulz! Welcome to SR - a wonderful place for support, hope, and encouragement.

There certainly is life after alcohol - and yes, excitement & happiness too. We don't need it the way we've convinced ourselves we do. I'm glad you want to make this big change in your life - I hope being here will help.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. I'm quite determined. No longer enjoying it as in starting to feel a noose around my neck, sick of waking up tired and hungover and not remembering everything from night before. Hardest will be the weekend but I know I'll feel great waking up fresh x
Old 05-07-2013, 01:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Djulz, I was also worried about the weekends because for me weekends meant wine. I thought it was my reward for getting through a busy week. I can't tell you how great it is to wake up on Saturday and Sunday morning hangover free. That is my reward and it just feels so much better than the alternative. Keep close to SR, it is such a support.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Djulz View Post
Thank you everyone. I'm quite determined. No longer enjoying it as in starting to feel a noose around my neck, sick of waking up tired and hungover and not remembering everything from night before. Hardest will be the weekend but I know I'll feel great waking up fresh x
Welcome to SR! You put it well. Early on we all think that booze is a reward but eventually it becomes a noose, a chain, a cross we're forced to bear. Normal people stop when the fun wears off and it starts to become work. That's why we're not normal. It takes strength and wisdom, and maybe some humility, to accept that we're not calling the shots anymore.

Good luck to you! You can stop drinking. There are lots of resources available. One size may not fit all. The important thing is find what works for you and do whatever you must to stay sober.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

No more battles, should I or shouldn't I have wine tonight. Feeling let down by myself and miserable in the morning. I already feel relieved
Thanku for the support, I'm sure it will be a huge help to me