SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Gasping for a drink (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/292659-gasping-drink.html)

Hevyn 04-27-2013 11:53 AM

You certainly are worthy of the praise, Dark. This is hard work, but so worth it to come out on the other side feeling like part of the human race again. :)

dogg - I agree about the reading - it's a great distraction. Congratulations on your 8 days.

least 04-27-2013 12:51 PM

I'm glad you didn't drink.:) No good would have come from it and you'd just feel worse the next day. Good job on staying sober. :hug:

Spinach 04-27-2013 01:36 PM

Fantastic you saved money, peace of mind, and another day. Emotions settle down , if you can remember just how disturbing this time is you really have a stronger chance to not go through this again.
Before you know it you'll start not wanting to actively being glad you don't need or want anymore and it's not that far away.
John.

isinganyway 04-27-2013 01:54 PM

You are experiencing anxiety. Your body is having an overreaction to a normal situation - your limbic system is freaking out and you're having the primal fight or flight response to a non-dangerous situation. Anxiety is uncomfortable but it will always pass. Check out this link for a great anxiety-reducing breathing exercise: Cardiac Coherence / Biofeedback Tool: Inhale (5 sec) - Exhale (5 sec) MP3+Video - YouTube

isinganyway 04-27-2013 01:57 PM

Not that that's ALL that's going on, of course - but anxiety always makes me feel like I'm dying, even if it's over a breakup or something non-life threatening. Hang in there! You're doing great :)

Darkplace2013 04-27-2013 04:18 PM

Thanks so much guys. Today was a good day for me. I didn't feel like drinking so this will be my second Saturday night in a row not binge drinking. Imagine in ten years I've never missed two Saturday nights out in a row. It feels great not drinking or not being hungover. My moods are changing constantly though. Highs to lows it's hard to know what way I'll be tomorrow. I'm just going to try and take every hour as they come.

I wouldn't be writing this post only for the help and advice I've received from everyone on SR. Ye should be so proud of yourselves thanks I really appreciate it.

isinganyway 04-27-2013 06:29 PM

My therapist told me that I'd be "vomiting" my emotions for a long time after getting sober. I'd imagine it's more difficult for men, as you are expected to be stoic and silent even if you need to cry :(. Let it out, it's incredibly freeing and you will feel so much better if you let yourself feel. Alcohol is a way to numb pain but it also numbs joy... that's why your emotions are so intense when you get sober. hang in there!!

isinganyway 04-27-2013 06:30 PM

Also: not being hungover is THE BUSINESS. i love it :)

Hevyn 04-27-2013 06:33 PM

Oh, that dreaded feeling of waking up and thinking - "What happened last night - what did I do or say?" Cotton mouth, spinning head - never again.

Darkplace2013 04-27-2013 06:46 PM

Isinganyway I've never cried as much as I have the last week. Emotions are crazy. But sometimes a cry is good.
Hevyn I'm in bed I'm nearly too excited to sleep knowing that I'll wake up not saying that.

Thanks for the posts.

Hevyn 04-27-2013 06:47 PM

:) I love it.....

gunther84 04-27-2013 07:11 PM

Good for you darkplace. Im writing this from a hotel room, because my wife threw me out due to my drinking. She gave me a bunch of chances, but finally I pushed her to this point. That being said, I do feel your pain, very much so. Because she and I are still married, I still have to communicate with her and I get choked up most of the time. Ive had the urge to drink, mostly last night and tonight because its the weekend, but I know that will not help me get the life I want and deserve for myself. Keep doing the right thing friend. Some days the only right thing we do may be not pick up a drink, but that alone makes it a great day. Peace.