SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Found a meeting, nervous. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/282509-found-meeting-nervous.html)

veryready 01-29-2013 08:39 PM

Sorry about your meeting, but the important thing is you have one more day under your belt. Keep up the good work.

courage2 01-29-2013 08:50 PM

Congrats on showing up for Day 2, and for a conversation w/another alcoholic.

I remember when I was on about Day 6 I tried to get to a meeting & the meeting book had the wrong intersection -- I kind of knew where it probably was, and also knew of another meeting in the neighborhood that I could have gotten to a little bit late, but I was so freaked out I practically ran home.

What's your plan for tomorrow?

PS love your new avatar :c031:

Maples 01-30-2013 03:47 AM

Ugh, slept horribly last night. Finally dozed off when the alarm goes off. Have to go to the office today but still feel shaky and jumpy. Worried.

Maples 01-30-2013 04:16 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone, will be thinking of the support I have gotten here today. Needed it.

ru12 01-30-2013 06:05 AM

Hang in there! It gets so much better.

sugarbear1 01-30-2013 06:08 AM

Call your local intergroup and see if a meetings still exists

Alcoholics Anonymous : Local Resources that provide A.A. Meeting Information

coraltint 01-30-2013 06:11 AM

It used to (and sometimes still does) really grind my gears when I go to a meeting & it doesn't happen. Usually when I try to go to one while out of town & get lost. My sponsor has convinced me that just being willing to try to go to a meeting, whether I find it or not, is proof of my willingness to do something in the direction of recovery.

That willingness is something I, and you, should feel good about!!

member72 01-30-2013 09:06 AM

The nights can be long and lonley. Lots of alone time to reflect and or dwell. Sleep will get much better but it will take some time. Getting back to a normal routine seemd to help also a brisk evening walk after supper can help calm the nerves. Keep up the great work. Stay strong and please keep posting, let us all know how it goes.

Zube 01-30-2013 09:52 AM

Hey Maples-

Just saw your post...AWESOME! I love AA, and I felt exactly like you described when I first went. Now going to AA is the highlight of my day. Most of my friends are AA'ers, and we have a great life inside and outside meetings. Going to a huge sober Super Bowl this Sunday at a fellow AAers home. Keep up the great work!!! The physical symptoms will get better, and the best place on the planet for anybody early in recovery is AA.

One day, one hour, one minute at a time.
Don't drink today.

Awesome!!!

Zube:c011:

Sasha4 01-30-2013 10:11 AM

Maples what a turn around for you!
Its amazing!

You have gone from not daring to go in to an AA meeting, to going in, attending, getting a chip, getting numbers, speaking with another member and planning your next meeting.

You must agree that is phenomenal!

I understand the jumpy, feeling and lack of sleep will make it worse.
Just stick with it, and the sleep will get better.
Could you do yourself a warm milky drink and read?
That might help.

You know I dashed home from work to log on here and find out how you are doing! I am excited for you.

Take plenty of care.xxxX

Maples 01-30-2013 05:58 PM

Hi everyone. I had to go in today, called in Monday (check page 1 of this thread), worked remote Tuesday. Got breakfast on the way, OJ, fruit salad cup, breakfast sandwich. A big darn breakfast, although i am 6' 225lbs. Had to, hadn't eaten much in 48 hrs and my appetite was back.

Got there at 8:10, which is quite early for my office. Ate, finished the OJ, got to work catching up. By 11 I felt sooo much better. I worked an 11 hour day. Got home 45 mins ago. Took a shower, PJs pants on, log on the forums.

I feel almost normal if it weren't for the combined 3 hours of sleep I got in the last 2 nights. I look almost normal, tired around the eyes, no surprise.

No booze in the house, no AV, but we all know that will be back tomorrow. Have found another beginners meeting for tomorrow night, but my boss scheduled a meeting from 5 to 6:30 tomorrow. Getting there will be close but am telling myself I will make it happen even if I get there late.

Day 3 is almost done. Love the feedback I continue to get here. It helped me so much today! Deep breath, going to get a glass of water, thank you friends.

Maples 01-30-2013 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 (Post 3797422)
Call your local intergroup and see if a meetings still exists

Alcoholics Anonymous : Local Resources that provide A.A. Meeting Information

Thanks sugarbear. That tue one was the only open one in town :(

Zube 01-31-2013 01:02 AM

Maples-

I love your attitude!!! If everybody in recovery approached recovery with your attitude, the world would be a lot more of a sober and happier place.

Way to go! Thanks for reminding me a lot of how it was for me when I sobered up.

Keep doing what your doing!:scoregood
Zube

Maples 01-31-2013 04:11 AM

Today begins day 4. About 4 hours of sleep last night in small 1 to 2 hour chunks. Shakes are almost gone.

After I posted last night, my friend at AA called again at about 9:30. Was happy I was still going. He told me he would try to be at the meeting tonight at 6:30. So glad! He also told me he had dinner with one of the other sober guys I met on day 1, Mike. Mike had asked about me at dinner and was thrilled to hear my friend had been following up with me to report success. My friend also asked me to go to a meeting on Sunday morning where the speakers are excellent and the room fills to standing room. A great start to the week. And then comes Monday, which will hopefully be day 7 and I can show them my progress and commitment. Oh, and fri/sat with my GF who keeps me sober when she's around.

I feel like I am starting to build something. It is early yet though.

Zube, I must admit it was over 2 years ago that I admitted to my family I was an alcoholic. It took me 2 years of failure before I got here.

sugarbear1 01-31-2013 07:04 AM

Glad you are moving forward!

I'd get to any available meeting, I never knew if they were open or closed....

member72 01-31-2013 09:57 AM

It sounds like your really making a 10 fold effort. As they say in AA, it works if you work it. I think your taking full advantage- workin' it hard, great job. I am so happy for you, truly. Keep it up. I (I'm sure I'm not alone here) look forward to hearing from you soon.

Coldfusion 01-31-2013 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Maples (Post 3798495)
That tue one was the only open one in town :(

Mapes, I haven't read the whole thread--do you know what an "open" and "closed" meeting are? Family and friends of alcoholics may go to open meetings, but closed meetings are for those who have a desire to quit drinking.

A lot of people seem to misunderstand this...

Dave42001 01-31-2013 10:48 AM

You need to give yourself a big pat on the back!!! What a great accomplishment!!

Doesn't it make you feel good when people in your fellowship call to check on you? Powerful stuff!!

Again, kudos to you!! Keep up the great work!! I can relate with the sleep issues, it will get better..

Vodkasaurus 01-31-2013 11:07 AM

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I have found meetings locally but haven't gotten the will power to go yet. I'm working in it though.

Dave42001 01-31-2013 12:23 PM

Go check out the meeting VA, they won't bite.. Tell them it's your first meeting and you're there to listen.. You'll feel better!! It's only 1 hour!!