Notices

Found a meeting, nervous.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Found a meeting, nervous.

Folks,

I was drunk last night. Woke up this morning, need AA. I found a meeting tonight nearby that is for beginners. I just looked in the mirror and look like hell. Red eyes, red face, awful.. I need a pep talk from you that I can go to the meeting and not be judged. I need help.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Maples, well if I can do it, you can do it.

I went to a meeting after a 9-day bender. I was shaking, sweaty, looked like hell, probably stunk like hell too.

But I was welcomed, and I know you will be too.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I went like that many times.
Until I stopped drinking 2 years ago!
Go!
Go, and start stopping.
:ghug3
Old 01-28-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've never felt judged at an AA meeting. Everyone there had been where I was at some point, and some people had been much farther down the scale! I was terrified, but am so glad I went and sat and listened and then went back the next day and the next.

You don't have to share or anything your first meeting; in fact you don't ever have to share if you don't want to. Eventually you'll probably want to. You'll have to introduce yourself with your first name when it's appropriate, and you don't even need to identify as an alcoholic if you don't feel comfortable with that. You can just say your name. No one expects anything from you. They'll probably make suggestions like: get some phone numbers, call before you drink, get a Big Book, find a sponsor, keep coming back, etc. They're just relating what was suggested to them and what worked for them.

I hope that was encouraging!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I sat outside my first meeting in the car and posted on SR on my phone for support.
I was sooo nervous, I can understand you completely!

It was the best move I made.

I felt like I belonged there. No judgements, just total acceptance.

You will be fine. Enjoy x
Old 01-28-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You have come to the right place! Dude, I am 93 days sober but 93 days ago, I was exactly in the same boat. So hungover, but not even hungover because I stopped getting hangovers...I just drank all the time. I was miserable. I had tried AA in the past but never stuck with it. I was SO NERVOUS about going to a meeting but I was also SO SICK of being so sick and tired. So, I made a committment to go to 90 meetings in 90 days and to get a sponsor - neither of which I had done before because I always tried to do it my way, and each and everytime, my alcoholism got worse.

I found a meeting. I was shaking like a leaf going into the meeting. I cried when it was my turn to talk. But I did it. They were welcoming and nice. The next day, I found another one and felt the same way. Scared. Anxious. Frightened. I went to a different meeting every day that first week to get a feel for what I liked/didn't like. It was nerve-racking. BUT, in the course of a week or two, familiar faces started showing up. I grew some balls and asked for a sponsor after about 3 weeks. She said yes. I just completed 90 days and 90 meetings and could not feel any better.

I think back to day 1 and man, it sucked. I feel your pain like it was me yesterday. But, the fact is, AA has worked for millions of people. You can't do this alone. I don't know how or why, but it is working for me. It's like medicine daily. I have found prayer again. A higher power. I don't recognize myself today. But for once, I feel like I've accomplished something. I feel proud and honest. There were a million times I couldn't said I went to a meeting and didn't go - but that would be lying to myself and I was so good at that, especially when drinking. SO, I got honest and did it.

Try it. I am the girl who didn't believe and now I do. It's hard in the beginning but the results are so worth while. I lost a job, severed a relationship, but I'm still sober and I definitely don't want to go back to my old ways, so I'm going to keep doing what I am doing because it is working.

Do yourself a favor and try it. Commit to something. Say you will go to a meeting everyday for 2 weeks. Try different ones. You will like some and not like others. But give it time. You gave drinking alot of time - this is the substitute. You will be amazed, trust me!

Good luck and please feel free to message me if you need support or have questions. I know EXACTLY how you are feeling!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I need phone numbers of people who have beat this. That's what I am hoping to get tonight.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA member

Go Maples.

You will be fine,let us know later how you got on.People will be delighted to give you their phone numbers.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I never felt comfortable any where until I discovered AA
Old 01-28-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You will not be judged, but rather you will be helped....when you raise you hand when they ask if this anyone's first meeting, do not be nervous as you will be the most important person in the room. And if by chance they don't pass around a meeting list for people to sign with their phone numbers, make sure you ask for for a meeting list with phone numbers...it may take a few meetings to feel more ta ease, but it will get better over time.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

The people at the meeting have been where you are.

Go save your butt!
Old 01-28-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Went to my first meeting last Thursday - hungover. Haven't drank since. And that's a big deal for me.

I was seeing a therapist for alcohol and she wanted me to go but I kept not going. About 2 months ago she asked if I could go to the place where they had a meeting 10 minutes early and sit in my car and watch the folks go into the meeting. Nothing more - just watch them go in and drive away.

That I could do. Just sat in my car and watched them go in. Probably did that 4 or 5 times. I started to realize most of them looked like regular folks from all walks of life. They didn't look like zombies or pod people.

Finally, last Thursday I went in 30 seconds before the meeting started and left right at the end. Still, it was a very positive thing for me and I know I'll be back.

That's my experience.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sweating, shaking, weak. Not sure how I can do this. Can barely get out of bed.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

2 days after my last drunk, i finally wanted help and decided it was time for AA. i went to a meeting that night, puled in the drive, fear of the unknown had me pull out and go home. i was extremely miserable and spent the night crying.the next day i went to a meeting, this time with courage. i made it in and the only thing i could say when the meeting started was,'im tom im an alcoholic and i cant take it anymore." it ws al i could say. i didnt have to say anything else; those people knew.
that was in april 2005. i kept goin, got the big book of AA, did what it said, and not only havent drank since, but have been given a new life. it ws the best move i ever made.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by ClearLight View Post
They didn't look like zombies or pod people.

Finally, last Thursday I went in 30 seconds before the meeting started and left right at the end. Still, it was a very positive thing for me and I know I'll be back.

That's my experience.
You have never seen a picture of me. I have POD written all over me.....just kidding. I have never seen such a diverse mix of people in my life. Doctors and Bikers chatting about the weather. Black, white, straight, gay, male, female, rich, poor, educated, not literate, old, young. One thing I have learned is alcoholism does not discriminate. The thing they have in common is that they just can not drink and are some of the nicest people you will ever meet.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Maples - there is no other place I would rather be than in a room with a group of ex drunks who all understand exactly how I feel.

Go inside and then come here and tell us how you went on please?
Old 01-28-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
p***enger

Maples, please get to that meeting tonight!

I know you're suffering now but that's exactly when you need to be with people who understand. Go, raise your hand or stay after, and ask for help. AA is all about honesty. No one will turn away from you if you tell them you need and want help!!!
Old 01-28-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sure hope you go, it will make you feel better and it's only an hour!! Good luck!!
Old 01-28-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It says 8 p.m. Beg. 7 p.m.

Does that mean 2 hours for beginners?
Old 01-28-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am going to have a breakdown at this place. I know it. I get emotional very easy when I am hung over.