SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   First AA Meeting is tonight (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/278910-first-aa-meeting-tonight.html)

Change4good 12-28-2012 10:34 AM

First AA Meeting is tonight

Hi Everyone,

I hope that folks had a nice holiday. I have been away for awhile, but back. . .with a new plan. Going to my first AA meeting tonight at 7 pm.

As Dee always asks, "what are going to do differently this time?" This is it.

Jeni26 12-28-2012 10:40 AM

I was only thinking today about my first AA meeting. I was so scared, I sat in my car outside and logged onto SR on my phone for support!

I hope you have the same great experience I did. I can only liken it to being on SR, but face to face. So many others who understand and who will support you all the way.

Have a great evening. Let us know how it goes x

IndaMiricale 12-28-2012 10:58 AM

Good deal, walk through that door..

And just be open minded. Dont judge and compare just find things to relate to.. :)

:)

stepping 12-28-2012 11:02 AM

Change - That is exactly what I did different this time! And it worked. Dive into the program. I did and I made it my everything. I so desperatly wanted to get sober, like my life depended on it (well it did). Good decision! I am rooting for u!

Good luck. Let us know how it goes!! I am excited for you :c031:

awuh1 12-28-2012 11:47 AM

If the quote in your avatar applies to you, it will serve you well tonight.

FamilyMan2153 12-28-2012 11:57 AM

Good decision!! Try hard to be a good listener. It is hard for your first meeting but you can do it. During my first meeting I cried like a baby. It was tough but I made it through. Remember if they ask if there are any newcomers please have the courage to raise your hand. You will be surprised by the welcome.

2granddaughters 12-28-2012 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Change4good (Post 3738862)
Hi Everyone,

I hope that folks had a nice holiday. I have been away for awhile, but back. . .with a new plan. Going to my first AA meeting tonight at 7 pm.

Looking forward to hearing your experience.

All the best.

Bob R

Sapling 12-28-2012 12:38 PM

Change is good...Sending you prayers you get as much out of it...As I got out of mine. I haven't had a drink since.

Dave42001 12-28-2012 01:11 PM

All I can say is go for it!! I've been to 5 meeting in 4 days! Just tell them this is your first meeting.. You don't have to say a word just listen.. Wish I would have gone a long time ago!! If you don't care for the group, try another one till you find the right group, they're everywhere! Great people!! Good luck!!

CaiHong 12-28-2012 01:17 PM

Change4good,
great that you are making a meeting and you are not giving up. Get back to us and tell us how it went.

All the best
love
caiHong

Change4good 12-28-2012 01:19 PM

Thank you all. It is in three hours. A friend was going to go with me, but I think I can do this on my own. Thankfully, it is near my house. Appreciate the support!

Sapling 12-28-2012 01:22 PM

Wait till you see the support that's waiting for you...I'm happy for you C4G!

jennikate 12-28-2012 01:27 PM

You can do it! I find it the most supportive, loving place there is. You might not feel it right away but it's there waiting for you. I haven't been to a meeting in a few days due to inclement weather and I really miss it. Leaving in 15 minutes to go and I can't wait. After all, those are my peeps.

Dee74 12-28-2012 01:37 PM

Great stuff :)
let us know how you go Change :)

D

IndaMiricale 12-28-2012 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Change4good (Post 3739052)
Thank you all. It is in three hours. A friend was going to go with me, but I think I can do this on my own. Thankfully, it is near my house. Appreciate the support!

The great thing is you will see your not even close to doing it alone. Almost all the people there are wanting and willing to learn this life of sobriety..

I am leaving for my friday meeting soon. I am always looking for the newcomer just so I can at least say hi, and go from there..:)

Also , everyone here is routing for you.. :)
Please share how it went for you.. :)

4WWWW 12-28-2012 02:42 PM

I would think you will be well received at the meeting - I was on Wednesday night and have been to 3 more since and my 5th (not a bottle) will be tonight.

I have already met some fine decent people who are just like me. I feel very comfortable and enjoy the format.

The hard luck stories (people out of work, crashing their car, in jail, etc) are tough to listen too at times especially when the drinking problems are mixed in. We all have them though.

Good Luck!

Dave42001 12-28-2012 02:54 PM

Since this thread has a lot of AA advocates I wanted to share this with you.. Good friend has been in the program for years and never pushed me till I wanted information..

These are sound clips you can listen to on the web or download as an MP3.. All regarding the history of AA and the Big Book etc.. I found it very helpful so maybe someone else will too..

Downloads & mp3's from silkworth.net

Sapling 12-28-2012 03:03 PM

That's a great site Dave....Lot of good stuff on that site!

Change4good 12-29-2012 04:13 AM

:c031:

It was a wonderful meeting. I took my first chip, and people were so welcoming and warm. Everything they said with resonated me, and I felt an overwhelming sense of relief and calm.

Also accountability. I am going back today at noon for a woman's group. My husband could not be more supportive, and will be looking after the children.

It is a good day indeed.

hamabi 12-29-2012 04:30 AM

Nice to be among so many people who after a very short time are not struggling or fighting against drinking, and are enjoying life free from their old alcohol-related problems, isn"t it?