SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   choose the top 3 that apply: what are sobriety's top benefits for you? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/275424-choose-top-3-apply-what-sobrietys-top-benefits-you.html)

EternalQ 11-23-2012 11:25 PM

choose the top 3 that apply: what are sobriety's top benefits for you?

What are your top benefits from sobriety?
1. Improved physical health
2. Improved mental health.
3. Improved relationships with others
4. Improved functioning in the workplace / community
5. Improved spiritual connection
6. Other

Fandy 11-24-2012 02:49 AM

What a great topic with the top 3!

lilgolden73 11-24-2012 07:46 AM

I just voted! I think physical health is number 1. I would put not killing myself or others, and avoiding jail as a real benefit as being sober....prison orange is SO NOT my color...:)

misterritter 11-24-2012 08:30 AM

My choice of 'other' is not having to review texts, facebook, emails, chats, phonecalls, etc the next morning to determine the stuff I 'said' last night that I wish I hadn't.

jujube28 11-24-2012 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by misterritter (Post 3686427)
My choice of 'other' is not having to review texts, facebook, emails, chats, phonecalls, etc the next morning to determine the stuff I 'said' last night that I wish I hadn't.

That's a good one. For me it's definitely mental health, then physical, and then financial health too. Being a heavy drinker on a student budget gets you broke very fast.

nogard 11-24-2012 12:17 PM

I voted but its a little skewed as its all of the above and so much more.

Getting clean gave me a life
Before that I was a member of the walking dead

faceitandfixit 11-24-2012 01:21 PM

Interesting topic...The benefits I have received were not necessarily the benefits I was praying for in my last drinking days, so it's difficult to choose the top 3.
Had I taken this poll one month in (sobriety), I would have chosen physical health, improved functioning in workplace and improved relationships. With almost a year under my belt, the best and most unexpected benefit would be having a real, meaningful spiritual connection for the first time in my life. My relationship with God (Creator, Source, Higher Power...substitute whatever resonates with you) has completely changed my life. Second benefit would be improved relationships, especially with my husband and kids. Lastly, mental health. I have been restored to sanity. Life is good!

Rose2012 11-24-2012 03:00 PM

I chose physical, mental and spiritual. I felt my spirituality this morning for the first time in a month, felt the need to connect. My mind is clear and my body feels great.

I guess my "other" would be that I will have hundreds of extra dollars each month from now on, to save for retirement and a down payment on a house.

On an embarrassing note, but still worthy...I think one of the other things is that has/will improve(d) is my personal hygiene. :blush:

stairs 11-24-2012 06:41 PM

I chose functioning, relationships, and spiritual.

I function much better as a parent and caregiver, and homemaker. I do not hide out from any relationships or obligations.
I volunteer once a week in a reading program and have a service commitment at NA on Fridays. I call my sponsor every day and try to call one other woman in my support group also. Which I do about 4 days a week now. I make the effort to be a good partner. Spiritually I practice prayer and some meditation.

Some days everything just shines and others I get in the way. Ego, self pity, all my bs sometimes keeps me from feeling good. Then it passes.

This is all beneficial to my physical and mental well being.

When I was drinking I was a mess in all areas.

EternalQ 11-27-2012 07:02 PM

Any one else want to vote?

RevivingOphelia 11-28-2012 03:47 AM

Lovin' your polls, EternalQ! :)

nonblondechef 11-28-2012 05:15 AM

I agree with my soul sister FIAFI!

MIRecovery 11-28-2012 05:44 AM

All of the above

Elisabeth888 11-28-2012 06:18 AM

Spiritual and mental for sure. Everything else is gravy.

I never sat around drunk and prayed (unless it was about legal issues!) and felt a real connection with my Higher Power. It feels great. I have a positive outlook on life and I feel calm.

I still worry about stuff of course, but I know I have a God I can turn to.

ClassiFemme 11-28-2012 05:58 PM

I chose:

1. Mental health
2. Physical health
3. Other: financial health. I spent WAY too much on liquor (buying bottles every few days, buying $12 shots at clubs all night long, being too tired to grocery shop/cook so ordering expensive delivery all the time, etc...) I have so much more money now!

EternalQ 12-09-2012 10:04 PM

Anyone else?

EternalQ 12-22-2012 06:49 PM

You can pick three when you vote.

EternalQ 01-04-2013 05:40 PM

Any more? Pick THREE.

Paul123456 01-04-2013 05:43 PM

i put physical and mental health, my 'other' is to get confident and well enough to return to work someday :)

Stang 01-04-2013 06:16 PM

1) Improved physical health. Not gonna get to spiritual if you're dead.
2) Improved mental health. Soaking my brain in Budweiser had gotten me terrible anxiety, depression...ect.
3) Improved work performance. See improved mental and physical health.

I also have money to save or spend on what I want. I can drive anywhere day or night without worrying about the State Highway Patrol.