SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   choose the top 3 that apply: what are sobriety's top benefits for you? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/275424-choose-top-3-apply-what-sobrietys-top-benefits-you.html)

NoAlcohol 05-23-2014 11:00 AM

My top 3 are the top 3 results in the poll:

Improved physical health
Improved mental health
Improved relationships

Except mental health, for me, is far and away for me is number one. It also ties in with being able to function in the workplace, and in life in general.

metam 05-23-2014 12:40 PM

Physical health, i wonder if my illness is caused by or worsened by alcohol. Financial, I will be able to buy stuff to facilitate my health. Mental, maybe my brain will not get so worn out. I think it will make me more spiritual in the long run.

anewpage 05-23-2014 05:44 PM

My three reasons are my physical health, my mental health, and my children.
I had too many evenings where I was drunk and failed to do my daughter's homework with her, and then in the morning feeling miserable, a failure and a bad mother. Too many nights where I was too drunk to read a bedtime story to my children. Too many afternoons passed out drunk on the sofa as they played around me. I want to stay sober for them. They deserve a sober mother.

Needinghelp82 05-24-2014 12:36 AM

I have to say improved relationships is the main for me. I'm only on day 8 but I have so much more patience for my dd and my relationship with hubby has already improved.

I'm hoping it will show at work too when I'm back.

Needinghelp82 05-24-2014 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by anewpage (Post 4669601)
My three reasons are my physical health, my mental health, and my children.
I had too many evenings where I was drunk and failed to do my daughter's homework with her, and then in the morning feeling miserable, a failure and a bad mother. Too many nights where I was too drunk to read a bedtime story to my children. Too many afternoons passed out drunk on the sofa as they played around me. I want to stay sober for them. They deserve a sober mother.

This. My daughter deserves a sober mum. She deserves to have a mother who can do homework/read bedtime stories/play whatever games she wants.

ManInTheArena 05-24-2014 03:14 AM

I voted: Improved Functioning, Mental Health and Physical Health. To be honest, they are all pretty equal for me, including other. The fact that I don't feel like I am slowly killing myself (physically and otherwise) with each drink is a big one - not sure where that fits :)

- MITA

EternalQ 08-06-2014 08:15 AM

Pick your top three!!

SoberRedSoxFan 08-06-2014 08:18 AM

Totally improved mental health and everything to do with being social and within relationships. The physical health is secondary for me.. sure I am improved in that area too, but the booze was causing my brain to short circuit haha.. can't have that.. only got the one

Gronk 08-06-2014 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by misterritter (Post 3686427)
My choice of 'other' is not having to review texts, facebook, emails, chats, phonecalls, etc the next morning to determine the stuff I 'said' last night that I wish I hadn't.

That is INDEED a good one, not to mention what did I say last night and to whom?

I remember pledging many times not to look at my phone or Facebook drunk.(of it never worked because those pledges always came when I was sober)

Soberpotamus 08-06-2014 08:37 AM

It's nice to review this a year after I voted... I can see that my top three are still my top three. Mental, physical, and relationships... with work and spiritual following closely behind :) Interesting, I'd not have included spiritual at all last year!

PurpleKnight 08-06-2014 11:31 AM

Mine are physical/mental health, and work performance!! :)

SnowDawg 08-06-2014 01:59 PM

Sleep. Appetite. Hydration. Job performance. Healthier bowel movements. TMI, perhaps, but I'm sure most will agree :)

sillysuzanfree 08-06-2014 05:17 PM

All of them really! Physical health would be first and Spiritual at the bottom (though I am working on it!)