SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I can't beat this demon (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/268209-i-cant-beat-demon.html)

clight 09-16-2012 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Threshold (Post 3579865)
When I saw the title of this thread I thought the "demon" you were speaking of was alcohol, then I read the opening post and now I wonder if the "demon" you speak of is the mother of your child!

Can you "beat" the demon of alcohol? Probably not, BUT...it's not really alcohol you are fighting. You can walk away from it and let other people fight it if they care to, it's not your fight. What you want to beat is your own dependency on it. And that, for sure you can deal with.

I DO have experience with a spouse (now ex spouse) who wanted to see me go under, because it would have been very convenient for him if I were to disappear. But I had other plans for myself.

Get sober, stay sober and be an awesome dad. Her choices and priorities are hers, try not to get caught up in them or judge them. You stay busy being a great dad to your son. Being involved and encouraging. Let those teachers know they can call on you, and get involved in the positive things at his school and in his life as well. Don't just show up when there is a problem, but see if you can volunteer, make sure you never miss an opportunity to chaperone a field trip, or participate in an activity. THAT will be a huge impact on how your son feels about school and will help with how YOU feel as a parent.

I didn't want to be an "everytime I messed up my mom got involved" sort of parent. I wanted to be "everytime something neat was going on, my mom was involved" sort of parent. Associated with good times, hard times, dull times, great times. I wanted my kids to know I was their parent, no if's and's or but's about it.

Hi Threshold.
No the demon I meant is the alcohol not her. I don't blame anyone but myself for the drinking. I will not make a excuse that she added to it. All me I admit I am a alcoholic.... What I am saying with her treating me and does not communicate for our sons sake was just a excuse to drink the pain away for the night. But no more what ever I have to do to stay away from this demon, I will. For example I am going for a 60 minute walk and I already looked at what I wrote down and I can say today I am sober.

Zencat 09-16-2012 10:17 AM

Hi clight.

AA or not you can recover.

Here are some options to choose from that would make for you a recovery plan; Women for Sobriety, SOS, LifeRing, SMART, CBT, Urge Surfing, DBT and AVRT

No one recovery program is better that the other. :) There many paths that lead to lasting sobriety.

mecanix 09-16-2012 10:39 AM

day 2 :You_Rock_

time is a great healer , i was drunk for 15 years i'll try sobriety for 15 and see where i am with it all ,

Bestwishes, M

NoFireWater 09-16-2012 10:46 AM

Welcome back Clight. It will be a great honor to your son if you stay sober and can be there 100% for him. Good job on starting again. I'm sure there are many complicated issues with his mother. Probably best if you focus on getting well and staying straight. She may not want to communicate much with you right now due to past issues. You may have to arrange in advance to make a time to talk about your son, and your united plans for his best interests. Try not to focus on her behavior and focus on yours instead. She may be waiting to see if you're really serious about recovery and may feel if you've been drinking you're not qualified to make good decisions for your son (whether that's true or not) Best of luck!

sissy07 09-16-2012 12:18 PM

Welcome back to SR, Clight!

8thPhoenix 09-16-2012 12:31 PM

Clight,

It's a cliche, but there's never a good time to stop drinking (even though lots of people say it's always a good time to quit - it doesn't really feel like that to us, does it?)

My life has been in turmoil for a long time. My relationships are always drama-filled, for one reason or another. I love my current bf with all my heart, but we go through ups and downs that make The Perfect Storm look like a bath tub.

But for the first time in my life I'm looking at being sober as a tool, not as a cast on my leg that's going to make it harder to hop around and deal with all the crazy... the sobriety and clear-headedness, I hope, is going to make me stronger and healthier so I can meet my other problems head-on.

I really hope you find the spark that's buried somewhere in your heart and use to it to burn your way up out of the darkness again. You can do it. :hugs: