SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Newcomer to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/265754-newcomer-recovery.html)

Hevyn 09-16-2012 02:55 PM

Great to hear the good news, Jack. Keep it going! :)

Hope4Life 09-16-2012 08:00 PM

Thanks for the update, Jack and congratulations on 1 month sober!

I hope the work on your comic book is progressing and I am glad to hear that you are spending time with your girl.

Did you pick up that motorized skateboard yet?

Take Care.

HitTheRoadJack 09-17-2012 12:34 PM

Hi everyone.

Yeah I did, it is a lot of fun :) whenever I feel bore or trapped or anything like that, I just take it out for a spin. It's a great feeling.
I'm getting back to the work on the comic gradually. All that has happened has shifted my view on things and I look at it in a different way now. So I'm taking it slow right now and not ovverwhelming myself with the work so I can focus on wht is important right now.
I hope everyone is well today. Looking forward to your responses!
Jack

SoberForMySon 09-17-2012 12:37 PM

Hi there!!! Happy to meet you

Hope4Life 09-17-2012 10:12 PM

I hope you have a helmet

It's good to hear you are enjoying your new toy but please be careful.

I have crashed on everything imaginable, from my Tonka Truck ( it was BIG!)
to Tricycles, Skates and Skateboards, Bicycles, Motorcycles and Cars. I have destroyed 7 Cycling helmets over the years and would NEVER ride w/o one.

Have FUN but be safe.

HitTheRoadJack 09-17-2012 11:40 PM

Don't worry I am collecting the safety gear available from shin pads to body armor! I've already fallen off the thing and had a bruise the size of australia on my backside!

Did anyone else here decide to give up smoking as well when they vowed against drinking? It just seemed foolish to me, carrying on with cancer sticks after wrestling with the beast. I've found that I'm more encouraged, and strong enough to tackle the smoking habbit now that I am capable of tackling the booze everyday - applying the 'one day at a time' thought to other things in life. It shows you how obriety change your whole life, gives you strength over things you have the power to change.

Hope everyone is well :)

Dorris 09-18-2012 12:23 AM

Hey Jack, I have loved reading this thread, taken me all morning mind :)

I'm starting out on day 2 sober today but it's been two months off the fags just wanted to say good luck giving up smoking.

HitTheRoadJack 09-18-2012 09:19 AM

Thank you - I'm open to any tips you have! :D

I hope everyone is good today? The days are getting better for me. I actually wake up with a smile everyday - including mondays, which is weird when you realise you're doing it. But a very rewarding path.

Living life one day at a time isn't just about battling alcohol in manageable stages, is about making the most of every single day. Enjoying it, being proud of it, creating a memory of it. Today will never come again and I'll be able to remember that it was good. I want every day to be like that.

It reinforces my belief that this was the best decision I've ever made. I don't walk in the dark anymore - I provide my own light in my life, I realise that I can be whatever I want to be - as long as I maintain the inner strength to push forward and face everyday with a conquering eye.

It beats hitting the floor because the sky was out of reach. I've got no bottles weighing down my arms anymore, and now the sky doesn't seem so far away.

HitTheRoadJack 09-20-2012 09:33 AM

Hi again everyone... today has been quite a doddle. As I said, I'm getting myself off cigarettes, but obviously the cravings are driving me to the feeling of wanting to pull my own face off.

BUT, the good thing about that is that it takes my thoughts away from drink and temptation. Better to slip up and have one cigarette than slip up and do something awful.

I see this as a sign that alcohol no longer has the relevance in my life that it did before, that I'm training myself to unconciously avoid it as well as openly. I'm not there yet, but I will be someday. Today though, I'm praising myself for that.
The negative side comes from the overactive brain trying to pile on things to do, trying to push the cravings out. I'm taking on so many thoughts at one time that it's stressing me out to the limit. I don't really have any techniques for relaxation, I spend so much time thinking and doing things that I'm just grateful for five minutes of doing nothing. But that's not relly relaxing, it doesn't calm me down and doesn't slow my thought process down at all. Does anyone have any techniques for windin down that they can share?

Thanks,
Jack

pipparina 09-20-2012 09:44 AM

when I need to calm my head, I will either play a computer game that requires little attention or put something mindless on the TV. Usually a good book can help me relax too, unless my mind is in overdrive and I cannot focus.
Try a computer game. Or you can always try to meditate, but I find that hard when the mind is racing.

MIRecovery 09-20-2012 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by HitTheRoadJack (Post 3539515)
H
I have attended an AA meeting before but where I live they are very hard to get to if you don't drive.
Jack

One thing that new comers to AA need to understand is that service work is one of the 3 legs of sobriety and giving people rides to meetings is service work. It is highly likely there is someone in AA in your area that has a car. See if your regional AA office can help or just get to a meeting however you can and ask at the beginning of the meeting for help. If you can afford it pitch in for gas but people are happy to drive out of their way to get you to a meeting. I have given rides to people for three years and it makes me feel good to help someone in recovery.

HitTheRoadJack 10-23-2012 12:37 AM

Hello everyone, I hope all is well. It has been a while since my last post and I wanted to check in. The Saturday I will be 10 weeks sober and I feel much better for it. I know that I want my life to be this way now, and I've noticed that I naturally avoid it now without a second thought. How is everyone?

Dee74 10-23-2012 12:43 AM

congratulations Jack :)

D