SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Booze will be served tomorrow (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/262946-booze-will-served-tomorrow.html)

aasharon90 07-21-2012 04:57 AM

In making sure not to take someone elses
inventory, because it's not my place to do
so, or, I have no right too, I learned how
awkward it was to be amongst those that
drank around me when Im sober, because
they are under the influence of a controlled
substance and are not themselves.

To avoid feeling uncomfortable in situations
like that, Im glad we have choices we can make
to take care of ourselves and protect our recovery
to the best of our ability. I can choose to not be
there and thus avoid feeling uncomfortable.

In other words, if I dont want to feel uncomfortable
in any situation then choosing something else that
will be positive and healthy for my mind, body and
soul will be further me in my recovery each day i
remain sober.

So can you. :)

RevivingOphelia 07-21-2012 01:06 PM

you're awesome!

NoFireWater 07-21-2012 01:18 PM

I was impressed by your 171 days, but am even more impressed that you attended the party, resisted temptation, and realized it'll take one step at a time. Staying sober was your priority, and once you can handle the get-togethers more easily you'll be able to socialize more. I like that you called it a skill too-it is something you can learn, as I'm finding out from others here with many days under their belts!

NewBeginning010 07-21-2012 01:39 PM

Way to go :ring I find parties with the majority of people drinking/drunk quite boring now... I find myself thinking... was I like that???? Then remembering some silly moments in my drinking life that reminded me that... yes I was ;-)

I have a much better time playing tennis on Friday nights with my tennis league and going out for dinner together afterwards than I ever could at a party filled with drunks ;-)

Keep up the great work :You_Rock_

freshstart57 07-21-2012 04:04 PM

Well done, HealthyFood. You did exactly what you planned to do. You are right to be more than a little bit pleased with yourself.

ZiggyB 07-21-2012 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Healthyfood (Post 3498425)
What a night. Just wanted to share with you. There were so many bottles opened in front of me, I lost the count how many! Everyone drunk yesterday. I was offered soooo many times, I kept saying no thanks. Eventually I got myself a glass and poured my energy drink and I looked as everyone else with something in my hand.

Very nice night out, but too much booze. I wish I was a little bit more social and chatted more with people I just met, but being sober its a new skill for me to learn.

Its day 173. Thank you all for supporting me.

You rock! I am still wondering how I will handle social situations without drinking but I know it can be done!

Anna 07-21-2012 04:28 PM

Gosh, being chatty in large groups I didn't know well was a new skill for me too. I am still not thrilled in that situation, but I'm okay with that.

I'm glad you got through it.

MetalChick 07-21-2012 04:57 PM

Awesome!!!!