SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Help... Going to a bar tonight.... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/249743-help-going-bar-tonight.html)

Perfect73 02-24-2012 08:00 AM

Help... Going to a bar tonight....

I'm going out with friends tonight to watch a live band we like. It is at a bar of course. Im pretty confidant that their drinking won't bother me but what is a good non alcoholic drink besides soda to order so my hands are busy?

freshstart57 02-24-2012 08:06 AM

Lime / tonic, Virgin Mary (or Cesar), ginger ale are my favorites.

Rexfiles 02-24-2012 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Perfect73 (Post 3294678)
I'm going out with friends tonight to watch a live band we like. It is at a bar of course. Im pretty confidant that their drinking won't bother me but what is a good non alcoholic drink besides soda to order so my hands are busy?

Sorry......JMO, and from experience and stories I have been told of others who have tried that......bad, bad, friggin' idea.

Rex

MustStop 02-24-2012 08:40 AM

I was at a bar last week and just drank bottled water. When the servers see this they naturally won't be bothering you for a fresh drink every 10 minutes like your alcohol drinking buddies. Just something I noticed and thought I would share....

JohnnyDetox 02-24-2012 08:53 AM

Have to agree with Rexfiles on this one. In my case it wasn't so much being tempted at the bar, it's what goes through my mind after...when no one's around.

Be careful my friend.

Sapling 02-24-2012 08:56 AM

Didn't you just join here Perfect?...What is this...A week yet?

gippy1968 02-24-2012 08:57 AM

For me quitting drinking meant changing my patterns, i.e. going to bars.

Slippery slope my friend

G

Bob36 02-24-2012 09:06 AM

I still work in bars- and its rattling me- I only gave up drinking because it leads to coke which is still not far enough behind me to be comfortable. I get free liquor in bars as well- coke was a no brainer to want to quit- alcohol, which has never been a huge issue is harder because social drinking was more my pattern. But Im doing it anyway. Thats my outlook. That said.
1) I wouldn't go at all. if the band is good they will still be around when you are stronger.
2) If you don't heed that advice you might benefit from the strategy Im using this Sunday- Ive already made an appointment to call someone I met at the meeting on every set break. That way Ill have a distraction. Since Im in the band there wont be noise- so maybe you could do the same thing with text.

But all in all- I just would avoid the difficulty- and as was pointed out above- Ive noticed cravings come when Im NOT expecting it- not when Im ready for it. I can feel super committed one minute - even relieved that it is feeling easy- and then get the desire to use simply invade my thoughts right after my bout of self congratulation. scary ****.

Rexfiles 02-24-2012 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyDetox (Post 3294749)
Have to agree with Rexfiles on this one. In my case it wasn't so much being tempted at the bar, it's what goes through my mind after...when no one's around.

Be careful my friend.

Correctamundo.

I change

People

Places

Things.

IMO the alternative is setting myself up for the inevitable.

Just one chronic relapsers opinion.....heck, what would I know........???????

Rex

augustwest 02-24-2012 09:15 AM

sugar free red bull and an EXIT STRATEGY

augustwest 02-24-2012 09:16 AM

How long have you been sober perfect73?

Perfect73 02-24-2012 10:06 AM

Six weeks sober. Husband and friends are über supportive. They are all aware that I'm not drinking.

SSIL75 02-24-2012 10:13 AM

Good luck. I agree about the exit strategy.

Perfect73 02-24-2012 10:17 AM

Husband knows that if I feel uncomfortable we are headed for the door. Ill update tomorrow and let you know how this turns out.... Last time we were out after one week of sobriety I drank soda and left feeling stronger than ever. I knew when it was time to cut out and everyone understood. If my friends order shots then I'm out! (my weakness is tequila) their beer and mixed drinks don't trigger me... Just wanting an alternative to soda.

JohnnyDetox 02-24-2012 10:31 AM

sounds solid...enjoy

augustwest 02-24-2012 10:53 AM

sounds like you're good then. have fun! i went to a show in a bar when i had 60 days and had a blast.

Rexfiles 02-24-2012 11:11 AM

Sorry, I'll gladly defer to being the resident stick in the mud here.

I would not try it.

Sounds like this will be a routine.

Russian Roulette JMO

Hope I am wrong.

Rex

sober4metoday 02-24-2012 11:12 AM

San Pellegrino with a slice of lemon or lime. Yum. Sometimes I throw in a little cranberry juice as well to change things up.

newleaves2012 02-24-2012 12:44 PM

for me there's nothing that's gonna get me inside a bar again. I'm getn to where I think drunk people would just irritate me too much.

LadyNoBinge 02-24-2012 12:51 PM

Good luck Perfect! I like the support system and exit strategy, good stuff. Also agree with pp about the bottled h2o. Have fun and take good care of yourself! xo