SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   New here, help needed.... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/249488-new-here-help-needed.html)

DoinThis 02-21-2012 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Sapling (Post 3290677)
Lot of plans out there Dointhis..AA works for me. You have 23 days...The only place I went when I had 23 days was to a meeting. You get some time under your belt...You can go anywhere you want...This one sounds a little dicey....Let me ask you....HONESTLY....Do you think you would make it through that weekend?...Yes or No.

I reeeeally don't know.....I know I can if I'm willing, must pray to the universe for willingness.

2 minds...stay sober, don't waste time, u don't need to drink.

Other mind....just enjoy a few, see if u can, u can always stop again (I wish this one would shut the F up)!

Sapling 02-21-2012 03:34 PM

Your call.

DoinThis 02-27-2012 03:41 AM

Anyone who remembers my post or is interested.... I was crazy to think I could mingle at a wedding without a drink after only 4 weeks sober! Great news is though I only drank light beer (about 4) and a champagne. The night before I drank 2 light beers. Been back home 2 days and still no urge to drink. It was so nice to be on the beach with friends and not feel like a beer. It was the large crowd and noise at the wedding that triggered me to drink. I guess if I'm honest my thoughts were 'I wonder if u can just have a few'. Being in the same town as mum used to live was fine, I was so anxious the day we arrived but was so great to be with old mates and the beach is so beautiful that I only remembered happy times.

I guess the biggest issue now for me is thinking I'm fine to drink at special occasions. This could still lead to obsessing about when the next time is, or even taking me back to thinking I can moderate. Feeling really good so am determined to stay off the booze. Still seeing addiction counsellor and reading SR. I'm interested in her take on what I did. I can honestly say I hardly enjoyed the beer. Silly that I still had 4 tho hey

Anyway thanx for all advice, eating helped heaps. After I'd eaten I didn't have anymore drinks. I left wedding at 11 when everyone was really on their way to getting sloshed and woke up feeling great while the others were hungover and told vomiting stories :|

OCDDan 02-27-2012 03:52 AM

Congratulations on your sucess! funny how the booze isn't as enjoyable as expected or feared, I've noticed that too

Sapling 02-27-2012 04:10 AM

Not sure how much of a success it was...At least it wasn't a two year bender...I guess at least it shows you where you stand with alcohol...I hope you learned something from it....And find some way to stop for good...Best of luck to you.

Sapling 02-27-2012 04:21 AM

On a side note...I've gotten completely smashed on light beer many times....You know why?....Because it was they only beer they had.

Dee74 02-27-2012 04:34 AM

The times when I drank and nothing bad happened were the most dangerous times of all DoinThis - cos they made me think maybe I didn't have a problem after all....

Please....be honest with yourself and think about the times that bought you here to SR - if you're a drinker like me, and you continue to drink, it's odds on you'll start having those times again....

D

DoinThis 02-27-2012 12:33 PM

Completely agree guys, Thanx. The back of my mind is saying ' u can drink moderately at times'. I know it's the alcy voice tho cos I NEVER have before and the times when I rarely do it wasnt enjoyable anyway. I know trying to moderate is a dangerous game, I had the biggest blackout trying to moderate after a 3 week break once! Scary as hell! I will continue on my road to recovery...happy, joyous and free! And I won't forget where I've been as it reminds me I can never go back! No more booze!

Thanx again,
DoinThis! :)