SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Time to quit drinking (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/246824-time-quit-drinking.html)

MustStop 01-23-2012 08:56 AM

Feeling very confident today, I know I can do this :)

Image101 01-23-2012 08:59 AM

Heh, I had three or four package stores I would rotate for booze. Like I was fooling anybody :)

You aren't alone here, MustStop. Just my two cents, I think it might be helpful to tell your ex girlfriend about your alcoholism. I don't know what her personal views toward alcohol use/abuse are, but it would at least let her know that there is a clear root of your relationship problems and that you are taking steps toward correcting it.

Lind 01-23-2012 09:05 AM

You can do this Muststop! I am on one week of being sober today!! This site also has been a lifesaver for me!! What I know for sure is that you will go through alot of different emotions!! What has kept me strong is finally going to bed without regrets and waking up clear headed!! Stay strong!!!! Lind

ownmybehavior 01-23-2012 09:37 AM

Muststop you're in the right place. I'm confidently navigating day 6 and feel good. Posting here and reading everyone elses stories has helped me to more clearly understand what's at stake.

Stay strong and post when you have the urge to drink. It's a great substitute.

MustStop 01-23-2012 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Image101 (Post 3253433)
Heh, I had three or four package stores I would rotate for booze. Like I was fooling anybody :)

You aren't alone here, MustStop. Just my two cents, I think it might be helpful to tell your ex girlfriend about your alcoholism. I don't know what her personal views toward alcohol use/abuse are, but it would at least let her know that there is a clear root of your relationship problems and that you are taking steps toward correcting it.

I contemplated this but think it wouldnt be a good idea. If she contacts me, I will inform her as the only way she will is if she's looking for answers. I sent her a note a day later but was not replied to. Its funny, since I have been focusing on getting sober I have not been thinking about her much. Thing is, I was drunk when I met her, if I wasn't drunk I probably never would have. Her father also has/had substance abuse and drinking problems which led to her mother leaving him. Her mother was already upset that I had lost my job and what she says seems to supersede the daughter. If she caught wind it would only make matters worse.

PaulG47 01-23-2012 09:48 AM

Welcome Muststop.

There is a lot of support here, I don't post much,but I read a lot of the responses. I new also to sobriety and take it just one day at a time. Good luck my friend!

Image101 01-23-2012 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by MustStop (Post 3253478)
I contemplated this but think it wouldnt be a good idea. If she contacts me, I will inform her as the only way she will is if she's looking for answers. I sent her a note a day later but was not replied to. Its funny, since I have been focusing on getting sober I have not been thinking about her much. Thing is, I was drunk when I met her, if I wasn't drunk I probably never would have. Her father also has/had substance abuse and drinking problems which led to her mother leaving him. Her mother was already upset that I had lost my job and what she says seems to supersede the daughter. If she caught wind it would only make matters worse.

Fair enough. Great to hear how focused on recovery you are. That is the best thing you can focus on now.

jocata 01-23-2012 09:53 AM

Great to have you here muststop!! I can relate to your story.

I was a slug in my addictions too. No motivation, job hopping, day long hangovers, went through girlfriends like crazy.

Man, it really doesn't have to be that way anymore!! This is an awesome place for support. I've been here almost 2 months. It almost seems as if I've known people here for a lifetime from reading the posts. We all share that common bond-our batte against our addiction(s). Couldn't imagine not having SR to come to on a daily basis!!

Keep up the fighting spirit!!

God bless.

MustStop 01-23-2012 10:20 AM

Off to take all the empties and bottles back and I WONT we grabbing any. Going to use the money towards vitamins at the drug store on the way back.

MustStop 01-23-2012 11:21 AM

And back, no worries I didnt grab anything and I am glad I got that out of the way. It was pretty much 3 garbage bags full of beer cans and another bag with multiple empty bottles of Whiskey, Vodka and Gin. As I pulled into the beer store (one I most rarely frequented) I said to myself that this will be the last time I come to one of these places.

When asked if I needed anything after being handed the empty money I said no and drove directly to the Drug store and bought some Vitamin B100.

artsoul 01-23-2012 07:43 PM

:c011: Sounds like you're well on your way!

I can relate to being on here non-stop at first. I didn't get much of anything else done for a week or two, but figured it was a lot cheaper than treatment, right?......:c031:

Keep up the good work! (One day at a time!)

Jitterbugg 01-23-2012 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by MustStop (Post 3253590)
And back, no worries I didnt grab anything and I am glad I got that out of the way. It was pretty much 3 garbage bags full of beer cans and another bag with multiple empty bottles of Whiskey, Vodka and Gin. As I pulled into the beer store (one I most rarely frequented) I said to myself that this will be the last time I come to one of these places.

When asked if I needed anything after being handed the empty money I said no and drove directly to the Drug store and bought some Vitamin B100.

haha...we may have crossed paths Muststop!! I live in Toronto too...I had a whole circuit of LCBO's and Beer Stores on my 'route'!

MustStop 01-23-2012 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jitterbugg (Post 3254212)
haha...we may have crossed paths Muststop!! I live in Toronto too...I had a whole circuit of LCBO's and Beer Stores on my 'route'!

If you're in North York then its very likely LMAO...

I had 5 of them to pick but really bounced between 3. LCBO's, I would get tall boys, easier to hide into the house with a generic bag but concealing the empties was a major chore. I use to toss away so much potential empty-return money running outside late at night to stuff the recycling bin full of them, just to get rid of them.

MustStop 01-24-2012 09:45 AM

Day 3 here we go. Feeling different now, body and mind are almost numb like. Still having troubles sleeping, maybe got 2-3 hours last night. Doesn't matter though, whatever it throws at me I am ready to take. Still no cravings

pangur 01-24-2012 06:13 PM

It might help if you avoid caffeine while you're going through the first couple of weeks, it can cause unnecessary anxiety and increase your heart rate. Some sports drinks helped me a lot to keep my salts and sugars up and electrolytes for my poor weary brain. Eat healthily, salads, fruit, lots of veg with your meals, you might find it will hurry up the process of ridding yourself of alcohol.

MustStop 01-24-2012 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by pangur (Post 3255275)
It might help if you avoid caffeine while you're going through the first couple of weeks, it can cause unnecessary anxiety and increase your heart rate. Some sports drinks helped me a lot to keep my salts and sugars up and electrolytes for my poor weary brain. Eat healthily, salads, fruit, lots of veg with your meals, you might find it will hurry up the process of ridding yourself of alcohol.

Great advice, thanks!