SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   On your way to the LQ... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/246477-your-way-lq.html)

Symmetry 01-18-2012 04:10 PM

On your way to the LQ...

Stop at Walgreens first! Or the corner store and grab some ice cream and root beer!

I was on my way to liquor store. I have 6 months of sobriety...I will always be vulnerable I guess...I still have 6 months of sobriety.

I'm not sure why I changed my mind but the interruption helped.
AND I have not practiced yoga in week. I got really busy with work and family stuff. Had to miss a couple days which has now turned in to a week. My mind has been experiencing some disturbances to say the least. I am convinced that yoga is the way for me. No yoga definitely equals drinking in my book. I emailed my instructor requesting a private session to design a home practice/routine. If I can't make it to yoga class then at least I'll do it at home now.

I feel proud and proactive for taking responsibility for my health. It would have been easier to just go to the liquor store.

Anna 01-18-2012 04:17 PM

That sounds like good planning.

Balance is really important for me in my recovery, too. And, I love yoga. :)

SunSailor59 01-18-2012 05:16 PM

Congratulations on making the right choice!

I am pretty new at this, and do not yet have a reliable routine that I know will quench any desires that come up. Right now I just deal with things as they come.

It's great that you found something that you know works for you, and are taking the steps to make sure that you use it.

jocata 01-18-2012 07:37 PM

Great choice symetry!! I wanted to drink last night and went to Walmart of all places. I stayed away from the beer isle.

I wrote my feelings down in a journal and that really helped.

God bless.

NewMe11109 01-18-2012 08:03 PM

Hi Sym -

Part of recovery is building what I call my "advanced warning tools" - which are basically my ability to listen to what my brain and body is telling me.

When I hear myself start talking in a way that I know leads to no good, I have developed a series of responses that I immediately execute. For me, it is reading/writing on SR or going to an AA meeting or calling my sponsor or working with another alcoholic. I also have practiced specific things I will say to myself to counteract the "little voices" telling me that I can drink again.

This is hard work, but I've learned to feel very empowered about my recovery - all while surrendering to the fact that I can't ever control my alcohol (quite a paradox, I know).

We are all proud of you. Please work actively on a program of recovery. Congrats on 6 months.

Dee74 01-18-2012 10:33 PM

Glad you put a cut out switch in that auto pilot :)

D