SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   How do you know for sure? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/237838-how-do-you-know-sure.html)

Katelyn 10-03-2011 10:42 AM

How do you know for sure?

Hi all - Katelyn here and I am trying to figure all of this out. The last drink I had was one week ago. While I think I have a drinking PROBLEM I am not sure if I am really ALCOHOLIC or not.

I want to believe that I can have 2-3 drinks and "it isn't a big deal." I feel like I need to try it out to prove to myself that I can (or can't). Is this something you all have been through? Would it really hurt for me to try and see what happens? Is this just the disease talking?

I've been to 2 AA meetings and I have liked them, but I can't relate to most of the stories. Thankfully I haven't hit bottom - I haven't destroyed relationships, lost jobs, etc. YET. The YET is the only thing that makes me want to quit- that I don't want it to get that bad, but since it isn't that bad, could it really hurt to just test it out?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this.

Pandie 10-03-2011 10:57 AM

Hi Katelyn,

Do you have a family history of alcoholism? Most of the time, if and when we ask ourselves if we have a problem, we have a problem. You sound like a bright young lady and not everyone has to hit "rock bottom" before they get help. Sounds like you are being very proactive and trying to get a handle on things before they get any worse, and I think that's wise! Have you talked to anyone in AA about it? I believe they have a checklist pamphlet that will tell you if you are/are not an alcoholic. Questions such as "Do you get drunk every time you drink?", "Do you drink alone?", etc. Hope that helps!

~Pandie~

Cascabel 10-03-2011 11:01 AM

Katelyn, I don't think that there is much to be gained in trying to decide whether one is an alcoholic or not. To me the question is: "Do you feel that drinking controls you, or do you control your drinking?". If it is even somewhat difficult to control how much you drink then one red flag has been raised. If you can take it or leave it, like most folks, then there is likely no problem.

If you think that you can control the amount you drink over the long term then your plan for social drinking may work. But, if you are like me, having a drink makes you want another and then another. This together with a pattern of escalating alcohol consumption indicates that you are either an alcoholic or you have a drinking problem. To me this is a distinction without much difference.

In my opinion, the easiest way to control addictive behavior is to abstain completely from the addictive substance. Trying to manage an addiction is a lot more difficult and massively prone to failure.

suki44883 10-03-2011 11:11 AM

Has alcohol caused any problems in your life? It doesn't really matter if you call it alcoholism or problem drinking, if it's a problem, then getting a grasp on the situation is in order. Many, or probably most of us have tried the controlled drinking route. No one wants to admit that they can't control how many drinks they have. The vast majority of the time, it does not work. Once your brain detects alcohol in your system, all bets are off. Your best intentions mean nothing and the alcohol is now in control.

Sure, go ahead and try if it will answer your question. But, be completely honest with yourself when you do. It might work a few times, but if you have a problem with alcohol, it won't work for the long term. People who aren't alcoholics don't have to try to control their drinking; they just naturally stop after one or two without any problem.

Most of us have found it far easier to just stop drinking completely.

sugarbear1 10-03-2011 11:42 AM

There's 20 (?) questions from NIH online.

keithj 10-03-2011 11:46 AM

AA defines it very simply on page 44 of their Big Book. Please note that entirely means entirely.

Originally Posted by AA BB 1st Ed.
We hope we have made clear the distinction between the alcoholic and the non-alcoholic. If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic.

Katelyn 10-03-2011 11:47 AM

Thanks all for noodling this through with me - appreciated.

I do know that I have a problem with alcohol - that I have no desire to drink just one; and that one will lead to many more than one. I don't like how it controls me.

But aside from that, my experience with alcohol has actually been positive (so far); I like the high i feel; the relaxation; the social aspects. As I mentioned, it hasn't caused negative effects in my life (yet) but the fear of that is the main reason I feel like I SHOULD quit. The problem is that I don't want to quit.

In a way, if I had health problems or a DUI or some other major problem caused by alcohol it would give me incentive to just quit. Am I just obsessing about all of this needlessly??

suki44883 10-03-2011 11:57 AM

If you are an alcoholic, getting a DUI or having health problems isn't necessarily incentive to quit. Many of us have had multiple bad experiences due to alcohol but we still didn't quit. Either you want to quit or you don't. As long as you don't, you won't.

Instead of trying to moderate your drinking, why not just try to go 30 days without a drink. See how you do. That is the safest way to find out if you are addicted without actually drinking and putting yourself and possibly others in danger.

keithj 10-03-2011 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Katelyn (Post 3124593)
- that I have no desire to drink just one; and that one will lead to many more than one.

That, deemed a physical craving in AA understanding, is the one and only symptom that differentiates an alcoholic. Your problem may be worse than you realize.

Originally Posted by Katelyn (Post 3124593)
...if I had health problems or a DUI or some other major problem caused by alcohol it would give me incentive to just quit.

Many an alcoholic, myself included, has believed that delusion. If this would happen, then I'd quit. In my experience, most of those happened, and they did very little to slow me down. That's also a distinguishing trait between the alcoholic and non-alcoholic in AA terms. If given sufficient reason, warning from a doctor, trouble with the law, threat of divorce, the non-alcoholic can quit or moderate. Not so for the alcoholic (at least as understood in light of AA experience).

Raindance 10-03-2011 12:21 PM

The thing about alcohol is if you wait until it gets worse, it will only get worse.

Deciding to quit drinking before you've lost everything is something i'm sure a lot of us wish we'd done.

Dee74 10-03-2011 01:38 PM

Theres some great advice here Katelyn - welcome :)

The only thing I'd add is I doubt you'll find anyone here who'll say - 'gee I'm glad I kept drinking...'

I hope you're not, but if you're a drinker like me, the good times will give assuredly way to the bad - if the worst happens and that eventuates I hope you'll remember this thread.

This is the test some have mentioned - it might help you put things in perspective
Michigan Alcohol Screening Test (MAST), Revised | CounsellingResource.com

I think sukis idea of no drinking for 30 days is another good way to test how much of a dependence you have....if you feel poorly while doing that, tho, please see a Dr. :)

D

PaperDolls 10-03-2011 01:42 PM

Katelyn - Here is a pamphlet from AA. It asks you 12 questions. May be this will help.

http://www.aa.org/pdf/products/p-3_isaaforyou.pdf

least 10-03-2011 01:49 PM

if I had health problems or a DUI or some other major problem caused by alcohol it would give me incentive to just quit.

That may be so, but do you really want to wait until you do have health or legal problems? I can't speak for you, but I don't want to live thinking that at any minute something awful could happen. And when I drink, that is a true statement.:( It's easier, and much safer, for me to just not drink at all.:)

Pandie 10-03-2011 01:56 PM

"I don't like how it controls me."

"I like the high i feel; the relaxation; the social aspects... The problem is that I don't want to quit. "

These statements are very loaded. If you are unable to live life on life's terms, and you are turning to alcohol to feel differently, you may have a problem. I do not think you are "needlessly obsessing" about it. I believe there's some part of you that is not OK with this and that's why you are here.

Wishing you the best. Keep comin back.

~Pandie~

Katelyn 10-03-2011 02:05 PM

Wow- your answers are really speaking to me. Thanks so much. i am so glad I found SR.

I think I am just trying to find excuses that it would be ok to drink, or that I don't have a problem. According to all the surveys/scales I do have a problem and I know inside that I do as well. I am just having a hard time accepting that I have to completely quit (and still deep down hoping that I don't). I'll keep going to AA and take it one day at a time.

Dee74 10-03-2011 02:23 PM

I think everyone finds acceptance is a problem - if you can find a way to accept it now Katelyn I think you'll be doing yourself the most incredible favour :)

D

Terminally Unique 10-03-2011 02:50 PM

Katelyn,

Since you feel both ways about quitting — you are ambivalent about it — that indicates dependence against your own better judgment, otherwise known as addiction. People who don't want to quit while at the same time wanting to keep it up are not addicted, so you might want to consider why that is the case with you. Any reasonable person would simply stop doing something that causes them discomfort or harm.

I am not one to recommend controlled drinking experiments, since most people already have plenty of those in their history by the time they even consider quitting, but I would recommend that you quit for three months. You'll know soon enough just how dependent on alcohol you are. As for not hitting "bottom," don't use that as a yardstick. I can assure you that "bottoms" seem to always have a trap door, and just when you think you've had enough, that trap door flies open.

TheTinMan 10-03-2011 03:25 PM

I love the word "yet"!!! I sat in meetings in 1995 and said "Well I haven't done that yet" Said it all the time. Then I went out and kicked my behind for 15 more years. I did a lot of those "yet"s.

I'm not sure I hit bottom, but I put the shovel down.

We are all one blackout away from a "yet"<------that is scary as hell to me.

Threshold 10-03-2011 03:43 PM

For me, when I start "justifying" a behavior or choice it's a red flag. Good decisions and choices don't need to be shorn up by convoluted reasoning, it's the ones that are on shaky ground that need the reinforcement of excuses, arguments etc.

When I look back over my history of using my justifications seem nearly laughable yet at the time I was dead serious. I'm not an addict because I haven't lost my job over it. I'm not an addict because I haven't prostituted myself for drugs. It's ok for me to get wasted today, because I can stop any time I want to.

I got laid off when my plant closed and got 1300 dollar severance. I went on a whiskey buying binge...because I deserved it, heck I just lost my job, heck, I was scheduled for major surgery...what better time to blow a huge windfall on booze?

What was I thinking? That it wasn't really a problem, that I could handle it, that it wasn't affecting my ability to make good choices for myself.

Unfortunately I sped past too many of those milestones..those "yets" that I swore I would never do, and certainly NEVER exceed, before I said "this has to stop" and then "this is done"