SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   How do you remember how bad it was? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/232142-how-do-you-remember-how-bad.html)

Dee74 07-21-2011 02:27 PM

Thanks for reminding me SPG

In case anyones not familiar with 'playing the tape through to the end'...it's a technique that has been useful for me and others...

It's very easy to remember the 'good' times of alcohol - we can all conjure up a rosy picture, usually involving us drinking 'normally' and having a great time....

but it's less easy to force ourselves to 'play the tape through to the end' and look at the consequences of our drinking....remember the embarrassments, the fight, the accidents, the bad situations, the legal trouble, the DUIs...whatever....it's important to try and make a conscious effort to remember the bad stuff too.

D

BodhiTree 07-22-2011 07:48 AM

Oh my gosh! You all are amazing! I'm sorry I haven't been back since the original post; it has been an unexpectedly busy (and emotionally draining) week at work and this is the first chance I've had.

I so appreciate the gifts you've all given me by replying--confirmation that I'm not alone in feeling this way, the reminder that different things work for different folks, gentle nudges to find alternative ways to motivate myself, and great practical strategies I can use.

Elvis--I was thinking the other day that it will be nice to have photos of me sober. I think I hardly have any right now except Christmas morning. :-)

Fenris and onlythetruth--thanks for reminding me of the impact of the positive

ETA--I really like your idea of a physical reminder. I make jewelry and may make myself a sobriety bracelet this weekend.

AVRT and SoberJennie--I admire your confidence. This is the first time I've told myself that I'm quitting for good. I feel like I've flipped the switch but I also want to be somewhat vigilant.

yogaisland--Yoga is on my list of things I love to do that I want to resume now that drinking is not consuming all my time and energy. I, too, have been thinking "I'm not that person any more."

Itchy--Thanks for the cheers and you are so right that SR is a journaling of sorts!

Rachel1980 and Englishrose70--I can so relate to this. Simple normal routines such as getting ready for bed and reading for a bit before I fall asleep mean so much to me now. I don't miss passing out on the couch at night.

Vesna--stay strong! I wrote a back while drinking and I don't recommend it. It make the entire process so much more stressful and awful than it needed to be. Plus I would write my editor what I thought were funny emails and then cringe the next day.

Reset--I have thought of the "science experiment" aspect, too. I like to observe myself.

For everyone else I didn't mention by name--each of your posts gave me food for thought and made me feel wonderfully connected to an incredible community. Thanks so much....

stugotz 07-22-2011 12:00 PM

I remember how bad it was by seeing the same faces still struggling. Day after day. I just pray that they could just "get it"