SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   hi everyone (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/228893-hi-everyone.html)

rich74 06-08-2011 09:23 AM

hi everyone

Hi my name is rich im 24 years old, i am starting to post here because i realize that i have been drinking way to much and i have found it hard to stop. I drink about 3 times a week and its never a drink or two. I am tired of being hungover and watching my health deterierate because of this. ive talked to a couple people and was told a support group would be of a great help. My drinking started in college when i joined a fraternity, i eventually had to move back home because my grades were slipping. however my drinking carried over and i have finally gotten myself back into school and am doing well with it however i want to quit drinking because i know i can do better without it. The days i dont drink i feel more energized and would like to feel like this all the time. I find i am most likely to drink when i go out to places that serve alcohol, i feel it has become mostly out of habit and would like to interact with others who have this problem. I look forward to hearing from and interracting with all of you!!!

Rich

Latte 06-08-2011 09:29 AM

Welcome Rich. I'm glad you are here.

SwanSong 06-08-2011 09:37 AM

Hi Rich and welcome to SR.

I've never heard anyone who has honestly had a problem with alcohol say they do better with it - so I do believe you are on the right track. Starting at 24 is amazing, happy you've decided to join us.

rich74 06-08-2011 11:15 AM

thanks for the kind words! im happy i found this forum

Mcribb 06-08-2011 11:28 AM

I am glad you are here, I always drank because my brain couldn't cope correctly. Being 24 was hard for me to quit because it still seemed like I was doing what a 24 year old should be doing..which is partying and livin it up. Underneth the booze I was a sad sad man though. Keep searching for help and even if you start to feel better try to check in. Learn learn learn!

invisibledrunk 06-08-2011 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by rich74 (Post 2993847)
Hi my name is rich im 24 years old, i am starting to post here because i realize that i have been drinking way to much and i have found it hard to stop. I drink about 3 times a week and its never a drink or two. I am tired of being hungover and watching my health deterierate because of this. ive talked to a couple people and was told a support group would be of a great help. My drinking started in college when i joined a fraternity, i eventually had to move back home because my grades were slipping. however my drinking carried over and i have finally gotten myself back into school and am doing well with it however i want to quit drinking because i know i can do better without it. The days i dont drink i feel more energized and would like to feel like this all the time. I find i am most likely to drink when i go out to places that serve alcohol, i feel it has become mostly out of habit and would like to interact with others who have this problem. I look forward to hearing from and interracting with all of you!!!

Rich

almost sounds identical to me, instead of drinking in college i started drinking when i became a working musician, im 29 , was drinking 3X a week usually between 6-8 drinks. hung over every other day.
im at a week of not drinking which is the longest i've gone in a few years actually. i feel energnized, and good as well. just really bored. starting to plan more activities to keep me away from wanting to drink

Anna 06-08-2011 12:43 PM

Hi Rich,

Welcome to our Community.

nandm 06-08-2011 12:49 PM

:welcome to SR. Glad you are here

woowaa 06-08-2011 12:52 PM

:welcome

I'm here for the same reason as you, and I guess nearly everyone - it has taken me to 35 to realise what you have managed at 24 - good on you.

This is a great place - I mostly just read, I can relate to a lot of the things others (new and experienced) write and it helps me with my recovery.

Glad to have you join :-)

Pigtails 06-08-2011 01:00 PM

Hi Rich, we have a lot in common except that I am 30 and my heavy drinking stage started at about your age (a little younger) and I sure wish I had nipped it in the bud sooner! It's so true that we can do so much better without alcohol! Good luck to you on your journey. :-)

least 06-08-2011 01:48 PM

Welcome to a better sober life.:)

Dee74 06-08-2011 03:34 PM

Hi and welcome Rich :)
Good to have you with us :)

D

dfw 06-08-2011 03:49 PM

Hey Rich,

I have a similar story to yours, minus being in a frat. I would suggest sticking to 90 days sober, and getting whatever support you need, whether it's here, AA, SMART, a therapist, or a combination. I'm quickly approaching the end of my 90 days and if you take a portion of that time to be self reflective on why you drank, what it's done to your life so far, it'll be easier to start over and become happy with yourself again. I too felt very sad and alone while I was drinking a lot (we're the same age by the way), and trust me when you're sober it's not easy to deal with the suppressed feelings, but with some positive reinforcement you start to truly live again.

Happier 06-08-2011 03:49 PM

Welcome Rich. Glad you are here. Congratulations on your wise decision.