Notices

hi everyone

Old 06-08-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hi everyone

Hi my name is rich im 24 years old, i am starting to post here because i realize that i have been drinking way to much and i have found it hard to stop. I drink about 3 times a week and its never a drink or two. I am tired of being hungover and watching my health deterierate because of this. ive talked to a couple people and was told a support group would be of a great help. My drinking started in college when i joined a fraternity, i eventually had to move back home because my grades were slipping. however my drinking carried over and i have finally gotten myself back into school and am doing well with it however i want to quit drinking because i know i can do better without it. The days i dont drink i feel more energized and would like to feel like this all the time. I find i am most likely to drink when i go out to places that serve alcohol, i feel it has become mostly out of habit and would like to interact with others who have this problem. I look forward to hearing from and interracting with all of you!!!

Rich
Old 06-08-2011, 09:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Rich. I'm glad you are here.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Rich and welcome to SR.

I've never heard anyone who has honestly had a problem with alcohol say they do better with it - so I do believe you are on the right track. Starting at 24 is amazing, happy you've decided to join us.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks for the kind words! im happy i found this forum
Old 06-08-2011, 11:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I am glad you are here, I always drank because my brain couldn't cope correctly. Being 24 was hard for me to quit because it still seemed like I was doing what a 24 year old should be doing..which is partying and livin it up. Underneth the booze I was a sad sad man though. Keep searching for help and even if you start to feel better try to check in. Learn learn learn!
Old 06-08-2011, 12:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rich74 View Post
Hi my name is rich im 24 years old, i am starting to post here because i realize that i have been drinking way to much and i have found it hard to stop. I drink about 3 times a week and its never a drink or two. I am tired of being hungover and watching my health deterierate because of this. ive talked to a couple people and was told a support group would be of a great help. My drinking started in college when i joined a fraternity, i eventually had to move back home because my grades were slipping. however my drinking carried over and i have finally gotten myself back into school and am doing well with it however i want to quit drinking because i know i can do better without it. The days i dont drink i feel more energized and would like to feel like this all the time. I find i am most likely to drink when i go out to places that serve alcohol, i feel it has become mostly out of habit and would like to interact with others who have this problem. I look forward to hearing from and interracting with all of you!!!

Rich
almost sounds identical to me, instead of drinking in college i started drinking when i became a working musician, im 29 , was drinking 3X a week usually between 6-8 drinks. hung over every other day.
im at a week of not drinking which is the longest i've gone in a few years actually. i feel energnized, and good as well. just really bored. starting to plan more activities to keep me away from wanting to drink
Old 06-08-2011, 12:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Rich,

Welcome to our Community.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

to SR. Glad you are here
Old 06-08-2011, 12:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm here for the same reason as you, and I guess nearly everyone - it has taken me to 35 to realise what you have managed at 24 - good on you.

This is a great place - I mostly just read, I can relate to a lot of the things others (new and experienced) write and it helps me with my recovery.

Glad to have you join :-)
Old 06-08-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Rich, we have a lot in common except that I am 30 and my heavy drinking stage started at about your age (a little younger) and I sure wish I had nipped it in the bud sooner! It's so true that we can do so much better without alcohol! Good luck to you on your journey. :-)
Old 06-08-2011, 01:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to a better sober life.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Rich
Good to have you with us

D
Old 06-08-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
dfw

Hey Rich,

I have a similar story to yours, minus being in a frat. I would suggest sticking to 90 days sober, and getting whatever support you need, whether it's here, AA, SMART, a therapist, or a combination. I'm quickly approaching the end of my 90 days and if you take a portion of that time to be self reflective on why you drank, what it's done to your life so far, it'll be easier to start over and become happy with yourself again. I too felt very sad and alone while I was drinking a lot (we're the same age by the way), and trust me when you're sober it's not easy to deal with the suppressed feelings, but with some positive reinforcement you start to truly live again.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Rich. Glad you are here. Congratulations on your wise decision.