SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Class of November 2010 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/212501-class-november-2010-a.html)

Dee74 11-04-2010 02:05 PM

I can't get that link to open for me least - as long as it's not commercial, it should be ok.

welcome to all you new guys :wave:
D

least 11-04-2010 02:23 PM

I just looked briefly at the site but it appeared to be a christian oriented recovery thingy.

ImReadyToQuit 11-04-2010 04:13 PM

This will be my 6th day 1 in 16 months... No better day then today. Last drink was yesterday.... Got suckered back into a liter a day of whiskey.

Tried the harm reduction plan.. Didn't work.

Somehow I got a job paying me twice as much (the good news)..

Bad news its a work from home job.. All by myself in the day till my wife gets home at 5pm.... Ugh.. You already know how the story goes.

Dee74 11-04-2010 04:17 PM

I work from home too IRTQ...it's not a dealbreaker by any means - you just have to commit 100% to staying sober :)

Are you using any recovery programmes, any support besides us?
D

ImReadyToQuit 11-04-2010 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 2757143)
I work from home too IRTQ...it's not a dealbreaker by any means - you just have to commit 100% to staying sober :)

Are you using any recovery programmes, any support besides us?
D

Not currently. I didn't like AA much.. I'm leaning towards LifeRing... I told my wife to take my keys and all the money and credit/debit cards for the next 2 weeks.. Can't drink if I don't have money. I guess that'll be my program for 14 days.. Probably not the best one.

ImReadyToQuit 11-04-2010 04:27 PM

The saddest thing was I kept looking for the magic loophole.. How to stay "manage" the disease.. jeez.. It's just stupid.. Waste of time... Taking 15 supplements a day.. a gallon of water.. And a liter of whiskey.. Makes perfect sense huh? I'm actually laughing as I type this right now..

Dee74 11-04-2010 04:28 PM

I've heard good things about LifeRing - let us know how you get on :)

D

ImReadyToQuit 11-04-2010 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 2757160)
I've heard good things about LifeRing - let us know how you get on :)

D

Thanks Dee. Appreciate it. I'll keep in touch.. I was born in 74 too.. I need to get a few years of sobriety under my belt! :You_Rock_

VeeTee 11-04-2010 05:04 PM

Hi All - good to see our group growing!

How are you all getting set for the weekend?

I'm on a course and we're having dinner tonight and going for Karaoke later. I am confident that I don't need to order any alcohol. There are some others in the group who don't drink and I'll just slide along with them sipping on fruit-juices and have dessert instead.

Have a great day all
Vee

Dee74 11-04-2010 05:37 PM

LOL I shaved a few years off my age to get in here :rotfxko

I was covering my tracks....I was pretty messed up and paranoid when I joined here..

too late to change to Dee67 now tho :lmao

D

VeeTee 11-04-2010 05:42 PM

Ahh Dee, you look like a 74!

Dee74 11-04-2010 06:00 PM

:c041:

sometimes I feel like a 74 Vee LOL

D

petethebrick 11-05-2010 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by ImReadyToQuit (Post 2757152)
Not currently. I didn't like AA much.. I'm leaning towards LifeRing... I told my wife to take my keys and all the money and credit/debit cards for the next 2 weeks.. Can't drink if I don't have money. I guess that'll be my program for 14 days.. Probably not the best one.

I'm planning to attend lifering myself this month. The first meeting isn't until next tuesday however. Let me know what you think of it.

As for my weekend plans,
I'm going to see the movie Due Date tonight, it's only just out here in Ireland. Then I'm planning to stay at home tomorrow night and chill. I'm sure I'll get the urge to go out tomorrow being saturday but am determined not to. I'm not planning to avoid bars/clubs etc forever, but just for the next while until I get some sober time and confidence under my belt.

crisplover 11-05-2010 02:25 AM

Day 1 for me. I wonder how many day 1's I have had over the last 18 years...18 years OMG! That's scary seeing that.

I'm going to be 36 in a couple of weeks and the gift I want to give myself is to live sober, without guilt, free of hangovers, paranoia and panic attacks.

I don't want another 18 years of this.

IWLSAST 11-05-2010 04:18 AM

Good Morning November Gang...Day 7 for me today. Something nice about being able to say it another way in time...WEEK ONE!! Just finished popping off a text to 3 close friends that simply said...Sober Day 7...I won't drink 2day!
Kinda sad this morning. Have no plans for the weekend. Normally i would at least be golfing with friends on Friday afternoon...But now that Nov is here, Mr Weatherman must agree...not going to happen today. I was bound to come down from this "getting sober" again high that i was on. I just 4get how fragile my emotions are...especially in the early stages. During my last long stretch (111 days over the summer) i had vt in my life...and i looked at a weekend with no plans as a bit of a blessing...just us, now, it's just me. But hey, i didn't have all the new friends that i have from this site.
Good luck to everyone in this November thread making it through another day and staying clean and sober. I am so glad i found this site!!
Carlos

Even monkeys fall out of trees-Japanese proverb

IWLSAST 11-05-2010 04:33 AM

Hey Crisplover...I have a vision of you (really a shadow vision since i still do not know if u r male or female)...anyway, this vision shows you blowing out candles on ur b/day thinking 2 urself just then...WOW, I'M STILL SOBER, WHAT A GREAT BIRTHDAY GIFT I GAVE MYSELF!!!...and it's vivid
The Best...
Carlos

crisplover 11-05-2010 07:33 AM

I love that vision! (I'm a girl btw!) Thank you for that message.
I'm halfway through my day and having so many 'I'll get some wine later' thoughts...damn it's so hard. Im stuffing down some kfc to ease the hangover and stop the cravings...groan

jhay 11-05-2010 09:53 AM

Morning everyone. I'm doing alright despite the fact that I keep getting ill and having to leave work. I'm taking a medication for opiate and alcohol cravings my psychiatrist put me on and it's taking my body a while to get used to it. Other than that, I'm praying a lot and trying to stay positive. Went over steps 1-3 with my sponsor last night and am ready to start another step 4. I'm on an accelerated program because I was up to 9 and got stagnant then went back out. I'm going to be thorough and more disciplined this time around. I've got to work this into my life. Why is it so difficult to grasp this manner of living? Because we're only used to self-sabotage, not self-love and acceptance? Ah well, here's to day 5!

jhay 11-05-2010 10:10 AM

I wanted to share this site with you guys. You can sign up on the right of the page to receive a daily "Today's Gift" which helps me have something to reflect on in the mornings and throughout the day. Here is today's.
Thought for the Day -- Hazelden

VeeTee 11-05-2010 07:20 PM

Thanks JHay for that.

So, moving into the weekend, how's our class doing?

I came home sober last night, and it was a weird feeling cycling home sober through the night and seeing the city I live in. Some of the people I was out with were drinking beer, but half of them weren't (this is not my usual group of friends :-)). So there was no pressure to please and fit in, we could all just drink what we wanted.

I realised that for many people going out (cinema, bowling, pool) doesn't automatically mean you drink alcohol. This is a new concept to me. To be honest I mostly just went to pubs and bars, not much action going on between ordering the rounds.

I will be going to my first AA meeting tomorrow morning.

Take care all
Vee