SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   My first day (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/211812-my-first-day.html)

hellcat23 10-24-2010 11:33 AM

My first day

Hi Everyone,

I'm 35 and I have been drinking fairly heavily for most of my adult life. Over the past 6 years, it has become worse and worse. The past 2 and a half years, it has affected my job, my family, my kids, and my relationships in obvious ways. My life has become more and more difficult and out of control directly because of alcohol.

I'm sick of being sick. I want more than anything to stop this vicious cycle I go through everyday. But I'm also terrified of not taking another drink. Even more scared that I WILL take another drink. *sigh* Anyway...this is my first day, first post. And I hope I am successful today. I need to be.

Peace and Love,
Chrissy

least 10-24-2010 11:51 AM

Welcome to SR from a fellow Buckeye!:hug: Congrats on deciding to live sober. It's a rough ride at first but it does get better.:) Try not to think of 'forever' but just 'today'. Get thru this day without drinking. Think about tomorrow when it becomes today. Will you have any support in sobriety? Family, friends, counseling, AA or other programs? Support is crucial to recovering, no matter where you get it.

You'll find lots of support here, I can promise you. Lots of support and understanding and lots of useful information. Read and post and ask questions. We're here to help you get and stay sober.:)

Kerbcrawler 10-24-2010 11:54 AM

Hi hellcat, you will get a lot of support here freind, a lot of good honest people here.

NellieM 10-24-2010 12:38 PM

Welcome, Hellcat. You'll find lots of support and tools to help you here.

sampar 10-24-2010 12:41 PM

Welcome to SR :hug: We have all had our day 1, just like you. I also am a wife & mother, my drinking nearly destroyed everything i had, Being aware that ure drinking is an issue is the first big step................now u have t do something about it!!!! I can promise u one thing ,soberity is the best thing i have ever done, Look us up in chat anytime x

coffeenut 10-24-2010 01:26 PM

Welcome! Getting sober is the absolute best thing in the world I have done....for myself. Which in turn has helped those around me. Amazing how those things happen.

We're glad you're here!

HumbleBee 10-24-2010 02:11 PM

Welcome, Chrissy!

What was said is true...we've all had our day 1 and were terrified of the thought of life without alcohol too.

Just as drinking has become a way of coping, relaxing, socializing and celebrating, it is possible to do all of those things without alcohol.

Try to imagine you're at the foot of a mountain. Don't look up - doing so will likely make you feel defeated before you even take the first step - that's what day 1 without alcohol was like for me.

Sometimes I had to break day 1 down into in even smaller increments (I will not drink for the next hour). Whatever it takes.

Check out other posts - I'm sure you'll identify with alot of the stories here. Post whenever you need to. Support is important; so is knowing that you're not alone.

You've got to start somewhere. This could be the day that changes your life. I'm glad you're here.

Dee74 10-24-2010 03:39 PM

Welcome Chrissy :)

As you've seen you'll find a lot of support help and encouragement here :)

Good to have you with us!
D

Isaiah 10-24-2010 03:55 PM

Hi, Chrissy

The good news is that the fear of not drinking again fades and fades faster than you might expect. Sobriety can be hard at first but it's much easier than trying to drink and hold a life together.

Glad you're here. This is indeed a good site to be.

Anna 10-24-2010 05:20 PM

Hi Chrissy,

It's very scary to be starting out on Day 1, but you can do this.

You will find that you can live a wonderful life without alcohol.

stanleyhouse 10-24-2010 05:36 PM

Hello and welcome,
Sr is here to help. I'm around your age and I got sober. If I did it you can to. There comes a time when it doesn't matter what people say and it hurts that people don't say anything. Are you there, yet?
SH

CarolD 10-24-2010 05:50 PM

Welcome to our recovery community.....:wave:

Good to know you are heading into a better sober future.
All my best to you and your family

julez 10-24-2010 07:24 PM

Day 1 is better than day none. Welcome to SR!

Draciack 10-24-2010 08:06 PM

Hi hellcat Welcome to SR :)

One day at a time was crucial for me during the first month.

Hope was too (and still is). Life can be amazing without alcohol.

Glad you're here.

caribbean 10-24-2010 08:10 PM

Welcome, Chrissy. Glad you are here.

What steps, other than not drinking, do you plan to take to succeed in your recovery?

You are brave for making the start. Wishing you well. Feel free to join in on the Class of October 2010 sobriety thread, too. :)

cat1961 10-24-2010 08:15 PM

Welcome Chrissy!

I to am from the big city and can so relate to your day one. As everyone says "there's tons of support here". The days get better as each passes by and the initial couple days are the most difficult. I spent my first couple days glued to this board interacting with all the fine folks here. This place kept me going and has kept me sober.

Keep reading and posting Chrissy. As Sampar mentioned, feel free to jump into the chat room. I understand this difficult time you're having and it will get better. You will be amazed at how wonderful life is without alcohol.

hellcat23 10-25-2010 04:59 PM

Thank you for a warm welcome:) I'm trying to get through my second evening without a drink (or bottle) here. The second night is certainly proving to be more difficult than the first. Having a hard time holding myself back from running to the liquor store.

Dee74 10-25-2010 05:02 PM

Just stay connected here hellcat - many's the night SR saved me from going backwards :)

D

cat1961 10-25-2010 08:24 PM

Excellent advise Dee! Hellcat, stick around and focus your attention on sobriety and not going back to a life of misery. Get through the second night and day three is going to feel good. You will soon end that viscous cycle of drinking, hangovers, regret, and all that other garbage associated with drinking.

I don't believe I had those urges on the 2nd night since I was about pukin my guts out and was determined to quit drinking no matter how painful it was. And by golly, here I sit today and feel great!

You can do it Hellcat!

hellcat23 10-25-2010 09:49 PM

:dance4:Well, made it through a second night without a drink and I'm heading to bed. On to the next good day ahead. Thank you so much for all the encouraging words:) AA meetings next on list of things to do:)

Chrissy

P.S. I have also quit smoking at the same time, and with nicoderm patches, so far so good!