Notices

My first day

Old 10-24-2010, 11:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first day

Hi Everyone,

I'm 35 and I have been drinking fairly heavily for most of my adult life. Over the past 6 years, it has become worse and worse. The past 2 and a half years, it has affected my job, my family, my kids, and my relationships in obvious ways. My life has become more and more difficult and out of control directly because of alcohol.

I'm sick of being sick. I want more than anything to stop this vicious cycle I go through everyday. But I'm also terrified of not taking another drink. Even more scared that I WILL take another drink. *sigh* Anyway...this is my first day, first post. And I hope I am successful today. I need to be.

Peace and Love,
Chrissy
Old 10-24-2010, 11:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR from a fellow Buckeye! Congrats on deciding to live sober. It's a rough ride at first but it does get better. Try not to think of 'forever' but just 'today'. Get thru this day without drinking. Think about tomorrow when it becomes today. Will you have any support in sobriety? Family, friends, counseling, AA or other programs? Support is crucial to recovering, no matter where you get it.

You'll find lots of support here, I can promise you. Lots of support and understanding and lots of useful information. Read and post and ask questions. We're here to help you get and stay sober.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi hellcat, you will get a lot of support here freind, a lot of good honest people here.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, Hellcat. You'll find lots of support and tools to help you here.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Right Where I am Suppose to be

Welcome to SR We have all had our day 1, just like you. I also am a wife & mother, my drinking nearly destroyed everything i had, Being aware that ure drinking is an issue is the first big step................now u have t do something about it!!!! I can promise u one thing ,soberity is the best thing i have ever done, Look us up in chat anytime x
Old 10-24-2010, 01:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome! Getting sober is the absolute best thing in the world I have done....for myself. Which in turn has helped those around me. Amazing how those things happen.

We're glad you're here!
Old 10-24-2010, 02:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, Chrissy!

What was said is true...we've all had our day 1 and were terrified of the thought of life without alcohol too.

Just as drinking has become a way of coping, relaxing, socializing and celebrating, it is possible to do all of those things without alcohol.

Try to imagine you're at the foot of a mountain. Don't look up - doing so will likely make you feel defeated before you even take the first step - that's what day 1 without alcohol was like for me.

Sometimes I had to break day 1 down into in even smaller increments (I will not drink for the next hour). Whatever it takes.

Check out other posts - I'm sure you'll identify with alot of the stories here. Post whenever you need to. Support is important; so is knowing that you're not alone.

You've got to start somewhere. This could be the day that changes your life. I'm glad you're here.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Chrissy

As you've seen you'll find a lot of support help and encouragement here

Good to have you with us!
D
Old 10-24-2010, 03:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Dismember

Hi, Chrissy

The good news is that the fear of not drinking again fades and fades faster than you might expect. Sobriety can be hard at first but it's much easier than trying to drink and hold a life together.

Glad you're here. This is indeed a good site to be.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Chrissy,

It's very scary to be starting out on Day 1, but you can do this.

You will find that you can live a wonderful life without alcohol.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome,
Sr is here to help. I'm around your age and I got sober. If I did it you can to. There comes a time when it doesn't matter what people say and it hurts that people don't say anything. Are you there, yet?
SH
Old 10-24-2010, 05:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community.....

Good to know you are heading into a better sober future.
All my best to you and your family
Old 10-24-2010, 07:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Day 1 is better than day none. Welcome to SR!
Old 10-24-2010, 08:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi hellcat Welcome to SR

One day at a time was crucial for me during the first month.

Hope was too (and still is). Life can be amazing without alcohol.

Glad you're here.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Drunk in Recovery

Welcome, Chrissy. Glad you are here.

What steps, other than not drinking, do you plan to take to succeed in your recovery?

You are brave for making the start. Wishing you well. Feel free to join in on the Class of October 2010 sobriety thread, too.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome Chrissy!

I to am from the big city and can so relate to your day one. As everyone says "there's tons of support here". The days get better as each passes by and the initial couple days are the most difficult. I spent my first couple days glued to this board interacting with all the fine folks here. This place kept me going and has kept me sober.

Keep reading and posting Chrissy. As Sampar mentioned, feel free to jump into the chat room. I understand this difficult time you're having and it will get better. You will be amazed at how wonderful life is without alcohol.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you for a warm welcome I'm trying to get through my second evening without a drink (or bottle) here. The second night is certainly proving to be more difficult than the first. Having a hard time holding myself back from running to the liquor store.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just stay connected here hellcat - many's the night SR saved me from going backwards

D
Old 10-25-2010, 08:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Excellent advise Dee! Hellcat, stick around and focus your attention on sobriety and not going back to a life of misery. Get through the second night and day three is going to feel good. You will soon end that viscous cycle of drinking, hangovers, regret, and all that other garbage associated with drinking.

I don't believe I had those urges on the 2nd night since I was about pukin my guts out and was determined to quit drinking no matter how painful it was. And by golly, here I sit today and feel great!

You can do it Hellcat!
Old 10-25-2010, 09:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Well, made it through a second night without a drink and I'm heading to bed. On to the next good day ahead. Thank you so much for all the encouraging words AA meetings next on list of things to do

Chrissy

P.S. I have also quit smoking at the same time, and with nicoderm patches, so far so good!