SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Today was not my day.... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/204606-today-not-my-day.html)

jmf7dd 12-07-2010 03:17 PM

UPDATE: Hmm where to start with my latest update. Well I'm on day 152 ( I think) in that area give or take a day. So when I hit 90 i pretty much stopped counting like I was before. It just wasn't as important to me anymore. I think it was the relief of making it to 90 and also the realization of living the saying, 'one day at a time' if I'm counting then it gives me some unneeded stress of living up to the next number. So i found it better to just let it be what it is. So everything has been 1,000 times better than it's been ever before. However life has not been perfect. I lost my job at the end of November, still looking for one. Last Thursday my boyfriend of over 6 months broke off our relationship. I start school in January. So I've had a bit of stress life on life's terms. :) But the amazing thing about my program is that it's all okay. Sure I've had really sad emotional moments, but i know how to handle them now. Praying above all has been the biggest gift that AA has brought into my life. Meetings and my sponsor help as well. So a yesterday my ex , whom I've remained friends with, decided he wanted to go to a meeting and asked if I would go with him. Of course I would, and did. I like that he's able to see the opportunity he has to change his life just like he's seen mine change over the last 5 months I've been sober and working a recovery program diligently. Situation is a bit odd. We both love each other dearly, but we're just being friends. He has a lot of regret about ending the relationship. But I do think it was by the grace of God. Now we both have a chance to work on ourselves in recovery, and we are still friends. Although it's hard. The feelings/emotions/desires are all still there. I'm trying to do what my program suggests to the best of my ability. I'm pretty sure with holding from the relationship would be the suggestion... for several reasons. One, we both are in very needy spots as recovering alcoholics. And that can manifest into my mind telling me that we should be back together because I'm lonely even though it may be best to stay apart and be friends... What is everyone's thoughts about this. I know the facts of co-dependency, and I'm doing my best to not play that role, on either side of the tracks. Thoughts are welcomed. But as far as the update goes. LIFE and GOD are amazing. the ups and downs are all manageable when I live in the solution and not the problem. :) I love AA and the life it's given me.

jmf7dd 01-29-2011 08:09 PM

It's been a while since I've been on SR. I'm glad to have this resource available though. I'm having a tough night. Went to a meeting earlier, helped a little but I'm still feeling discontent. I'm having trouble letting go of an issue tonight... I really do love that I no longer have the urge to pick up a drink but I see my insanity manifest into other areas. Like some horribly mean things have crossed through my head tonight because I'm unhappy with a choice someone else is making. That lovely control issue I have as an alcoholic keeping popping it's little head up. I just started working through my 5th step today so I'm definately making good progress on my program but I'm still by no means perfect, and thank God I don't have to be. I'm over 6months sober and feeling great about that. My boyfriend that I meant before I got sober joined AA back in december and I'm having issues with worrying about him and his program. Even though I know it's insane and none of my business. I'm just such a busy body sometimes. I don't actaully talk to him much about his program because that is way to far across the line for me. I spend too much time worrying about why he's decided to get sober and why he's not getting a sponsor and if he'll be successful and on and on. It's INSANE, I know. But **** my alcoholic mind for this behavior. It's driving me insane. Specifically he's out bar hopping tonight with some friends/co-workers for someone's 21st birthday. I politely declined the invitation because I'm not interested in watching people get drunk and dumb. I'm done with that life. I know that old people, places, and things, will **** up my program quicker than I can fix it. And that's not an option for me. But now I'm resentful that he is there.... errrr I don't get why. I guess I'm jealous... I found out just before he went that he was going out to dinner with his two female friends, one that he was hooking up with in the past. And I'm jealous of that. I've prayed about it but I'm stubborn and I keep taking it back.... I want to let go, I REALLy really do.... errrr. Well that's my load for now. And I feel better sharing. Comments welcome.

LexieCat 01-30-2011 04:48 AM

Hi, good to see you back, and it sounds like you're doing GREAT.

Now, here's a suggestion about the boyfriend situation. Get thyself to some Al-Anon meetings. Seriously. There are a lot of "double winners" in AA and Al-Anon. The tools we get in AA are also applicable in Al-Anon, but Al-Anon focuses a lot on the concept of detaching (with love) from a loved one's alcoholism. Lots of people cope OK until the alcoholic stops drinking and then the urge to micromanage is overwhelming.

Al-Anon taught me a lot about my powerlessness over someone else's recovery. Check it out!

jmf7dd 08-27-2011 10:30 PM

It's been a long time since I've been on. I don't get online on my computer very often any more and I can't do much from my phone with the SR site. I'm still sober and going to meetings and working on my steps. I would have to say I took a leave of absence from my step work and it has made me a little insane. i recently started working with my sponsor again and have gotten back to step work. Looking forward to the peace and serenity working a strong program gives me. Hope all is well for everyone in the SR community. :)