SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   What are you doing/did for NYE? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/191423-what-you-doing-did-nye.html)

Sugah 12-31-2009 10:25 PM

AA District NYE celebration....just got home a little while ago. About a hundred sober drunks eating, fellowshipping, listening to a couple good leads, bidding on a "white elephant" auction, dancing, having a good time.

My feet and knees are going to hate me tomorrow, but I had a great time tonight. Called all four of my kids at midnight...daughter with a friend killing zombies, one son in VA with his girlfriend, another in NYC with his girlfriend (and being designated driver for a carload of her family), the other in Boston. Getting ready now to turn in with hubby.

Happy 2010 to all...

Peace & Love,
Sugah

suki44883 12-31-2009 10:33 PM

We stayed in and watched the Twilight Zone marathon. It's still going strong, but I'm about pooped out.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!! :nyz

patman 12-31-2009 10:53 PM

Day 3 sober. Not the best time for New Year's Eve but it falls where it falls I guess. My wife was able to procure a babysitting job so my five year old and I spent the evening at my parents house. We played UNO, drank coffee, and watched the ball drop in Times Square. My parents don't and never have drank - which, I suppose, makes it all the worse that I've had the alcohol problems I've had - so it was a safe environment. I feel good about it although I have to admit it wasn't as much fun as years past. This is going to be tough.

Slits 01-01-2010 12:36 AM

Hosted a NYE Party with 15-20 of my wifes Drunk friends/family who I don't even like. The not Drinking was the easy part this time. It's the being around loud, obnoxious, repetitive drunks I could do without. Thank God I am not in the Parallel Universe where I am still an Alcoholic because tomorrow would have been a really bad withdrawl day instead of waking up rested and refreshed.

meanders 01-01-2010 12:53 AM

I took my 3 1/2 year old to dinner and the movies. We saw The Princess and the Frog, which is the first movie she sat through in a theater. Now I'm snuggled under the heating blanket grateful to be sober.

Last NYE I was hooked up to machines and an IV in a critical care unit in another state! I am in awe of how life can change if you allow it to. This holiday season is the first one I've spent sober in about 13 years (aside from my pregnancy).

The best part? I don't feel like I missed a damn thing by not "partying."

thirtybubba 01-01-2010 01:00 AM

At ten days sober... I went to a meeting, then Denny's (the only restaurant open) and then to the last ten minutes of the year at an Alano club, where I had to repel a few guys who were determined that if I spent enough time listening to them, I'd fall in love and then they could do all the great things they wanted to do, but couldn't--because, of course the right person wasn't in their lives. One of them asked me if I liked older guys... guess I threw him a loop when I looked him in the eyes and said simply, "No." Loop or no loop, he spent the next half hour trying to catch my eye.

And I did it all sober, for the first time in a long time... I might have started 2009 with about three weeks wasted, and dang near ended it the same way, but--nope. I started 2010 sober, and I aim to finish it that way too...

Take care y'all, Happy New Year.
TB

lionheart 01-01-2010 02:20 AM

Hey Everyone - Happy New Year

Hope you are better soon Trish and good luck for Monday (read the other post)

My NYE was about 10 people at my place, half drinking and half not, 2 people got really trashed but werent too bad. I didnt drink, an achievement after 11 days of sobriety.

I dont plan on plans for next NYE, going to go with the flow!

It was AMAZING to wake up and not be hungover and be able to clean up after the party and put things away and do whatever I wanted - what a change!

2010 - here I come!

LKKPA 01-01-2010 04:17 AM

I had to work tonight...sounds crazy but I am a bartender! For some reason working in an upscale hotel bar on NYE was not a temptation for me whatsoever!! My problem with drinking was always at home alone. However, I am 50 days sober now and am finding I really don't miss it all that much. The thing I miss is when friends call and want to go have a drink or when I go on a date etc. But I will learn to handle that I'm sure with time. This was the first holiday season in 10 years that I didn't drink. All I could think of while at work tonight is that I was glad I'm sober and not acting like all the obnoxious drunks that were there. I am more serious about my recovery than ever before and am taking it one day at a time and each day seems to be getting better. The depression I was experiencing before Christmas seems to have lifted and I am wondering if it was more because of the season rather than with my not drinking. I think I am going to like this recovery thing!! Just going to keep on keeping on. I hit a few meetings last week and got a sponsor!! All is good. I am thankful for this forum. Happy New Years everyone!! Ü

spryte 01-01-2010 05:19 AM

Happy New Year All!!

Mine was low key but pleasant. I played Trivial Pursuit with the fam and watched the Canada-US hockey game. No booze!!

:nyag

Horselover 01-01-2010 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Aysha (Post 2473576)
I dont care cuase 2010 is going to be the year I finally stay clean.

Woot!!! I LOVE this Trish!! Feel better and feel better upon waking. Orders from New Mexico! Happy 2010!!

:nyy

cambridge 01-01-2010 07:47 AM

Hiya - I went to a house party at my friend's landlady's house, so it was right upstairs. It was pretty fun, lots of dancing and no one got very drunk. It was certainly a first and I had a nice time dancing my butt off.

vwaddict 01-01-2010 08:40 AM

I went out for sushi and a little sober dancing. I had waves of bordem, but had a nice time overall and so happy to be up in the AM on New Years Day with NO hangover. First time in almost 10 years. Today I am going to have lots of comfort food and lots of football.

flutter 01-01-2010 08:46 AM

Went to bed early, so that I could get a few hours of sleep before baby woke up around 1 to eat. Wished him a Happy New Year, and rocked him back to sleep and went back to bed. :)

sunset2000 01-01-2010 02:24 PM

Yay 2010!!

I had planned an evening on the water at the marina to watch fireworks with a professionals social group that I recently joined. I was a little uncomfortable going alone with 35 strangers and almost cancelled at the last minute. But then said "what you thinking?" and headed out. I took a thermos of my fav hot tea and a bottle of sparkling apple cider for toasting. It was quite boring at first as I got there too early and didn't know anyone. But soon I made friends with the owner of the boat and the captain in charge and I got to sit up front in the captain's chair for the ride and the fireworks. His name was "Skip" and he was very nice.

I didn't really connect with anyone else as most of them were there with dates or best friends, but I had a great time just being on the water and was only tempted to drink early on when things were awkward. But that passed quickly when I thought about some of the posts here where people said, "does drinking really make you more social". I don't think so as when I drink I usually say the wrong things, make everything about myself and don't really listen to others.

It was a GREAT way to spend the evening: doing something I love. And while I am a bit tired and wiped out today, I am so grateful not to be hung over and not only have no regrets, but be damned proud of myself. I haven't had a sober NYE in over 25 years. I even danced. SOBER. Don't think I've ever done that. Sad.

Really great to hear that you did great, too, Lion. I am now on day 12 and I look forward to taking this journey with you! Good job, girl!