SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   It's taking all my willpower to stay sober today (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/182352-its-taking-all-my-willpower-stay-sober-today.html)

Philly 08-14-2009 12:42 PM

Least,

Sending prayers over to you. Hope you are feeling better after the nap. Stay close to SR. If you get a chance visit the August thread. It seems to be active and it even has brakefree over there who was an original member of our July class. She may even get you to smile. Hope you have a tolerable weekend. Just keep posting and hugging the pups.

CAPTAINZING2000 08-14-2009 01:07 PM

Had a topic close to this last night.

I like to point out a scene in the movie Ground Hog's Day.

Every day Murray wakes up and tries to save a drunk from dying. He goes through the motions every day. The results are always the same. We drink, we heap misery upon ourselves and many times, people that love us etc.

We call it playing the tape through. Same results, different day

YouTube - Groundhog Day - The Power of Change

least 08-14-2009 01:07 PM

Still sober and still hanging on. After waking up from a nice nap it's too hot and humid to walk the dogs so I'm about to wash up the rest of the dishes. I'll walkthe dogs after sundown. Thank you all for your support. It's so good to be able to come here for support instead of just caving in and drinking.

:ghug3

yeahgr8 08-14-2009 01:30 PM

Hi Least

I had a run of this last Xmas, sleeping in the afternoon and then looking forward to the time when i would be able to sleep at night, mine was as long as it's past 9pm it's ok to go to bed for the night. It was almost like seeing how long i could hold my breath, i could tell you how many days i had been sober to the hour...it was hell to be honest!

Having said that, this time round it's different as i an getting face to face support through counselling (yeah i did have that at xmas too) but primarily through AA and getting a bunch of new sober friends. I don't want to harp on about AA to you, i'm just saying that i hope you are able to find a face to face support network, it really does make all the difference.

I met a guy who, although we come from very different backgrounds, is roughly my age and 7 years sober (as in happy, peaceful and content to live in his skin and the day)...so after a discussion over coffee about similarities to do with depression/anxiety/addiciton/whatever i wanted to know how to get what he had...in fact we now have the same sponsor who asked me after a couple of meetings, and after i had asked him to be my sponsor to go away and think about whether i really wanted to stop drinking...i replied yeah that's great forget all that **** just tell me what to do and i'll do it, i want what he's got lol So i started the steps and have just finished step 5 moving onto 6 and 7, then the dreaded 8/9;-) Actually i have one amend i can make now, it's an easy one by letter to an old family doctor, i've got to draft the letter and show my sponsor the format...he told me to do that 5 days ago...better get on with it!

If you could meet someone who you could relate to in some sort of meeting/group, that seemed to be having a happier life than you, with the family etc...then you may feel that you want to know how they got what you are striving for and maybe it will be as simple as just doing what they have done. Whatever you do i hope you feel better:-)

Sorry if you are doing all of this already, but hey thought i would post this anyway just in case.

coffeenut 08-14-2009 01:30 PM

Hi Least. Just popping in to wish you the best. Hope you're doing well.

Anna 08-14-2009 02:10 PM

Hi Susan,

I'm glad you're feeling better.

Dee74 08-14-2009 02:22 PM

You can do this S :)

D

parentrecovers 08-14-2009 02:27 PM

support to ya, least. do your best today, sweetie - you deserve it.

hugs, k

least 08-14-2009 02:33 PM

Walked the dogs anyway, tho it was hot they liked their walk. Then treated myself to an m&m frosty from Wendy's. Now I'm full and don't feel like drinking.:ghug3

Jomey 08-14-2009 02:53 PM

YEAH! An M&M frosty sounds sooooo good! Keep going, S! You can do it! Love, jomey

Dee74 08-14-2009 03:20 PM

I dunno what the heck an m&m frosty is, but it sounds good LOL.

D

butchville 08-14-2009 03:48 PM

your doing really well but let me tell you anxiety and depression is the major number 1 side effect of coming off alcohol,,..it does get better believe me ,,,go and see your doctor there are safe medication out there to ease your anxiety and depression while you go through the difficult phase of coming off drink ,,,hang in there it gets better ,,,

Hevyn 08-14-2009 04:17 PM

Just saw this now, S. Been saying prayers for you today. Be proud that you're successfully fighting the beast off once again.

(I don't know what an M&M frosty is either, but I want one too.)

least 08-14-2009 04:43 PM

An M&M frosty is a vanilla milkshake with crushed M&Ms in it. You can get it at any Wendy's burger restaurant. It's really good, have to eat it with a spoon. yummy.:scoregood

feel better after the dog walk. came home tired but more relaxed. Just gave them a biscuit (their favorite) and soon their supper (another favorite). Taking care of them is good for me.

readyforhelp 08-14-2009 05:06 PM

I'm prayin for you, girl. You've done good today. I hope you sleep well.

Missymae737 08-14-2009 05:50 PM

Hi Least,

I am sending love and strength your way...

least 08-15-2009 08:36 AM

Not wanting to drink today, tho my anxiety seems worse. I'll get thru this sober, one minute at a time. I'm glad to have SR to come to when I feel unsure and having cravings. It really helps!

Skeeter2 08-15-2009 08:40 AM

Least, you're doing great! You can do it! Wishing you many bright spots in your day ...:c032:

scaredykat 08-15-2009 09:14 AM

I'm pulling for you least. I'm proud of you for not picking up. When you said you felt better after eating at Wendy's i thought of HALT - "Hungry, angry, lonely, tired. Those are the 4 to look out for.

frstnm 08-15-2009 09:29 AM

willpower wont save my ass from a drink