SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   So sick of all of this today! Sorry, but have to vent! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/176428-so-sick-all-today-sorry-but-have-vent.html)

Horselover 05-15-2009 11:46 AM

So sick of all of this today! Sorry, but have to vent!

I am tears right now because I am so unbelievably frustrated with life this week. I gained a year of sobriety this week, but didn't feel like celebrating. I held this all in and now I have to spill it because I feel as though I am having a nervous breakdown.

I came down with the flu - influenza type A on Easter. Was the sickest I have ever been since childhood. Son caught it eventually. Husband was fine because of flu shot. He had just a bit of a cold from it.

Last week I came down with the flu AGAIN!! Doctor said it was type B because I wasn't sick to my stomach and all. I worked through it for 2 days then son came down with it on Tuesday and he's still sick and it is stomach and his fever has been scary high and I want to scream!! We are so sickly this year and I can not seem to stop it from spreading in our house. I have bleached stuff. I have made healthy veggies and fruit salad and we are all drinking milk and we take multivitamins. People act like its my fault that we are sick again. I heard constantly at work "Your sick AGAIN!!" I feel like a failure and I am so tired of being sick and tired. I want to quit.

Thanks for letting me vent. I wish I could say I felt better, but I do not right now. Son is sleeping beside me. At least that's something.

jamdls 05-15-2009 12:27 PM

Venting is good! Sorry you're feeling so bad, recurring flu is fairly common because the first time you get it your body loses a lot so you are susceptible to getting sick again especially if you don't give yourself proper care and time to recover. I'm not implying that you don't take care of yourself, it's just people often push themself to get back to work and mom's tend to take better care of their families than themselves.
Congratulations on 1 year of sobriety! I celebrated my 1 year by giving each of my siblings a gift to thank them for their support and I got on a plane and went and spent the weekend with my 85 yr old father.
Hope you feel better soon.

Judy

McGowdog 05-15-2009 12:33 PM

This too shall pass. Being sick is a bummer. You're not yourself and it beats us up mentally as much as physically... if not moreso. What can you do but rest and if someone offers help, take it.

Prayers coming your way. Oh, and happy birthday. 1 year is a big deal.

Mattcake 05-15-2009 12:40 PM

Hey S, sorry to hear you're feeling low - the flu can linger for a while, in the meantime try to get some rest.. Happy 1 year, BTW :ghug3 Hope you feel better soon :)

Rowan 05-15-2009 12:41 PM

Oh Sarah I'm sorry to hear that you're sick and feeling frustrated.

Please use this time to rest, and continue to eat well. Let the house go for a couple of days, and cuddle with your little guy. Be kind to yourself, my friend.

This will pass. Hugs.

Impurrfect 05-15-2009 12:42 PM

awwwww, sweetie, I'm sorry you're sick. I went through a phase where every time I'd get over one respiratory thing, I'd get another. I felt like I was holding open house for germs.

It's not your fault, and there's not much you can do but treat the symptoms and get some rest. Venting/whining always makes me feel better, so vent away!! I do hope that once you feel better, you do something very special to celebrate your 1 year birthday.

Hugs, prayers, and healing thoughts!!

Amy

Jomey 05-15-2009 12:45 PM

Hey S - I can vividly relate to where you are...when you are cooped up, stressed, tired, worried and sick yourself with a sick child it seems like minutes pass like hours, hours like days, etc. It's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but, I promise, it's there...don't let anyone make you feel like you or your family is "sickly" because you are having a hard time getting it out of the house. I HATE that kind of innuendo. Y'all are a fine, strong, healthly family and you'll be good as new before you know it.

Try to relax as much as you can - I know that's a tall order for a mom (not sure I'm too awful good at it myself) and just get through each day as best you can.

You are doing great sweetie - I know it's hard - just hang in there and know that you are being lifted up in prayer right at this moment. Imagine the Cool Loving Hand of the Divine Physician on your son's forehead and the Everlasting Arms that are always around you are hugging you close in a little extra support RIGHT NOW.

Love ya, Jomey

adore79 05-15-2009 12:46 PM

:sorry :a194:

least 05-15-2009 12:48 PM

You've had the flu twice in the last couple weeks??:scorebad I'd be pissedoff too if I were that sick! You have every reason to be sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Hang in there kiddo, this too shall pass!:ghug2

Oh yeah, congrats on one year sober!!:ghug3

laurie6781 05-15-2009 12:59 PM

My first year in recovery I had pneumonia 9 TIMES and was hospitalized with it 5 of those times. I got out of the hospital from the last bout the day before My first Anniversary.

When I sort of jokingly said to my doctor "gee I must not have much of an immune system huh?"

He replied with "what immune system, you totally destroyed it and it will take time to get it back."

I caught anything and everything that first year. Second year was much better, I only caught pneumonia 3 times and no hospitalizations.

Also, there has been a lot of different types of influenza in this state this year, at least since last fall and I swear I have caught every one of them at least once and some of them twice. Even my doctor has stated several times that the different influenza that have been making the rounds this 'flu season' have really been causing problems.

So, how about we look at the other side of this coin? If you were not sober, you would not have been able to take such good care of your child or yourself, and both of you probably would have been a lot sicker than you have been I M H O.

Get a whole chicken, cut it up and skin it, throw in pot, add water, chopped up celery (much better than just adding celery salt or celery seasoning) and let it simmer until meat is done. Take meat off the bones, put back in broth add carrots, potatos whatever you like in your chicken soup. There really are a lot of 'healing properties' in home made chicken soup.

It's easy on the stomach, has good nutriments, and the 'steam' helps open the nasal passages.

You know you can clal me anytime you need or want to.

This will pass sweetie.

Love and hugs,

joedris 05-15-2009 01:28 PM

Hey Sarah, You're not a failure because of being sick. It happens to all of us. You're just having one of those really bad horrible totally insane periods when s*** hits the fan all at once. This is one of those times where you say "Lord grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change" And as an afterthought I think it's probably appropriate to add "Why me?" In the meantime, vent away. You're doing all you can for yourself and your family, so knock off this "failure" thing, OK?

Jules62 05-15-2009 01:51 PM

Hey sweetie :hug:

Failure?You? No freakin way! I think we so easily forget ALL that being a mom, looking after a family, entails.So often everyone else comes first and it's easy to get run down.Being sick is NOT your fault and it's ridiculous of other people to blame you.

I'm so sorry you feel miserable right now.I know when we're not physically well, everything else can look ten times worse too. Give yourself a break, S.You are a loving mom and wife and a wonderful friend(I know this is true! :) ). You just need some time to recover from the flu, and from taking care of your son.It WILL pass-promise!

Also-do keep in mind that milestones-like your one year, can often be a bit of an emotional rollercoaster of a time too.It's just a bummer that everything seems to have hit you all at once, and I feel for you.

Just do what you can to take care of yourself right now and know you are valued and loved by me and many others here too! I'm thinking of you and praying you start to feel better soon,

Much love,

Julesxox

Dee74 05-15-2009 02:15 PM

I'm sorry you're sick S....I have been too - not much fun.
Like Jules said - being sick is not your fault. You have a busy life and you work hard - you not only run a house and take care of a family, but you also work as well - sometimes we just get sick.

I blame the goats ;)

take care S - rest up - Hope you and N feel better soon
D

IO Storm 05-15-2009 02:16 PM

Here's my advice...

Tell em' to stick it in their

ear! lol Unless it is a supervisor.

I've had the flu several times this year, too, HL. And, I've heard that too.

"Again?" Made me angry. We cannot help getting sick. Period. Just consider

the source. Peeps that say these things are speaking from ignorance, and will have

their share of illness..such is life. Although we never wish it on anyone..it happens.

It is strange..the person that said that to me awhile back, has been ill with this

and that since that time. "Judge not"..seems to be a universal law..maybe?

Don't worry..

Prayers for you and your family's health sweetie.

:ghug3:

IO Storm 05-15-2009 02:23 PM

Goats?????? :dunno lol

Aysha 05-15-2009 02:32 PM

Its kinda funny you post this.
I was diagnosed with strep Sun. And before I went to urgent care that day. I asked this lady at work what it meant when the back of your throat was white.
She looked like I had just crawled out of the disease anthrax pit and smeared it all over her. She was literally looking at me with this disgusted, how dare you kinda look. And went to saying.."Oh my God, and I helped you with your rooms. Blah blah blah. " I was like geez..Its not like I have the plague. Chill out.
And this morning I coughed..away from her and covered it with my arm. She jumps back and does that same look and comments. I was like whats wrong. Shes like you coughed. I was like ..And? I covered my mouth. She rolled her eyes. I felt like smackin her in the head. Or coughin right in her face ..spit and all.
It would be different if I didnt cover it or was all disgusting about it. But it was just a little cough.

I get it. But you dont have to be asses about it. Its not my fault. Its not your fault.
Some people have no couth. Like they never have things like that happen to them.

I am sorry you are feeling bad HL. Its not your fault. Who wants to be sick? And twice at that?
Just forget about those people. If they want to be snide.. Then maybe they will catch it and dont feel bad if they do.

I hope you and your son get better.
You will feel better about it all when you are not ill anymore. I know when I am sick I get all super sensitive and feel 100 times worse.

Horselover 05-15-2009 02:51 PM

I thank you all, but I don't have time to read any of them right now. Took son to doctor's and she has sent me to the Pediatric hospital with him. His fever is 103 degrees and there is blood in his urine. I only a couple of seconds because I've called my Mom to come over and drive with us. Please say some prayers for him. I am SURE he'll be okay, but I wouldn't mind some prayers right now just because. Thanks again.

IO Storm 05-15-2009 02:58 PM

Prayers going out now, HL!!!!! :praying:

Aysha 05-15-2009 03:16 PM

Thinking of you and sending positive healing vibes to you.

Hevyn 05-15-2009 06:22 PM

I'm just now seeing this, S. I hope everything went ok. I seemed to get sick more often after I quit drinking. (I joked that before, no bacteria or germs could live in my body because of the alcohol, now I'm on my own.) My husband & I have passed a cold & the flu back and forth a couple of times recently. Many people he works with have been sick numerous times this spring, too. People shouldn't make you feel as if you're doing something to cause it - how ridiculous. I will be thinking of you until we hear how you are. Love you.