SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Class of May (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/175539-class-may.html)

ADayAtATime 06-10-2009 07:15 PM

Hi December,
I used to be in the Class of May...but I relapsed. So now I'm in the Class of June...We call ourselves the JuneBugs (well most of us do)...lol.

I just wanted to come in here and say congratulations on day 26 (am I right?).
That is great...I know your getting excited about your 30 day milestone that is coming up, I would be.

The longest stretch I ever went within the past 4 years has been 13 days.
Keep up the great work!!!

Hugs to you,
XOXO

allport 06-11-2009 12:02 AM

I'm still around Dec but I'm fickle and I forget to post when the thread isn't on the first page :)

Well done on nearly four weeks, miss you in chat :) get back to England.

wanttolive 06-11-2009 08:39 AM

Well I guess I'm now in the class of May. I used to be in class of January. You guys/gals seem like a lively bunch so hopefully you won't mind another classmate. Here is a short version of what happened.

I had origianally quit on Jan. 19th. Went through withdrawals but no hospitalization. I had been up front with dr. as to my drinking. How much, how often (every day) and the amount. (Alot). He prescribed something to help with strict words of going to er if it got too bad. It was bad but no seizures.

I made it about 50+ days and then in March the alkie voice told me "Oh you have done so well you can have just one or two" We all know the alkie voice lies! My son was home from college break and we had a big difference of opinion on a major issue so there came my excuse. I bought a bottle of wine and just looked at it for days. Finally the alkie voice came and told me it was just a little bottle not a big one, what can the harm be. Drink it and don't buy any more. HA HA! Many of us know where that ends up!

So on May 28th I quit again. Going through withdrawals again, I wondered how I can be so stupid. They really suck. I had the shakes so bad could hardly walk first few days, puking, hypersensitive, creepy crawly skin and terrible insomnia just to name some. I am sure many can relate. If you never had the withdrawals in some ways you're lucky, in others without the terrible experience of going through it, it may be easier to relapse. Don't know since I always get them.

So I am now 15 days and other than insomnia feel pretty good. So, I hope you won't mind a new classmate! I guess this wasn't as short as I wanted it to be. Hope I didn't bore you too much. Read it at bedtime when you can't sleep! :c031:

Kim

HideorSeek 06-11-2009 02:33 PM

Hey everyone, great going! Welcome WTL! And keep it up, ADAAT. I'm glad that Dec and Ally are still plugging along. So am I. Today is day 22 and although I have my ups and downs, I am attending meetings and trying to keep my head screwed on tight. Putting one foot in front of the other, so to speak. There's really no other way for me to do it if I want to succeed. I miss our other classmates....Matt, Redshift, Siamcat, Pixy, to name a few. I'm keeping them in my prayers...

Hugs to you all!

Seek

December15 06-11-2009 06:51 PM

Excellent HideorSeek, and welcome to the the May class wanttolive. I've had a hard day today battling the alco voice. I'm stuck in this darn hotel with nothing to do and the idea of getting out of it for an evening has me by the throat. Well, I'm resisting. Hopefully tomorrow morning will be hangover free.

HideorSeek 06-13-2009 03:57 PM

Hey Dec, it's the 13th, hopefully you made it through...I read your response on the "when is it a relapse" thread (you said something to the effect: If I had one drink, I'd call it a miracle). I LAUGHED OUT LOUD!!!!!!!:c011:

HideorSeek 06-14-2009 07:02 AM

Hi Kim and welcome to our little class! Boy, I could REALLY relate to your post. Like you, I am a binge drinker. Last Oct, I quit for 54 days, then had a period of on again off again couple of months (I do this in a string of 1 nighters, with a some sober periods in between). Then, early in the new year, I went 58 days, then back to my pattern for a little while. Now, I'm at 24 (?) days, with my fingers, toes and everything else crossed for the long haul. I'm sure that you agree that the fallout isn't worth it, WE KNOW THIS, yet continue to think, "well, maybe this time"... The fact for me is, that the infinitesimal (REALLY!) pleasure I get from a drink costs me soooooooooooo much in terms of physical and emotional pain. I don't feel "right" physically for almost 36 hours! So, I'm hoping to remember that!

Keep posting, OK? It's great to have you here!

:)

Seek

HideorSeek 06-15-2009 07:21 PM

Anyone out there??????????

I hope you all are well....

Hugs,

Seek

allport 06-15-2009 07:55 PM

Hey Hide and Seek I am here, but that is because I can't sleep :(

We can make sure this thread doesn't slip onto page two again :)

Is that a deal :)

HideorSeek 06-16-2009 06:21 AM

Done. You get the UK time zone and I'll take the US east coast. That should cover us! Hope you got some sleep! :)

I'm onto day 27...how about you?

HideorSeek 06-18-2009 08:23 AM

Hey everyone...anyone left from the May Class? Ally, I know you are out there :)...For our other classmates, PLEASE drop a line and let us know how you are....PLEASE????!!!!

Seek

Mattcake 06-18-2009 10:20 AM

Hi Seek :hug: I'm so happy you're doing okay :)

I've been lurking, for the most part. Here's a list of items I posted at the beginning of the thread, glad I did that, I've been pretty scrambled lately, and I need to refocus.

Originally Posted by mattcake79 (Post 2215521)

Body:
- Rest/sleep, proper nutrition, light exercise CHECK
- Full medical exam, see if my meds needs tweaking. CHECK

Mental:
- Call my therapist Pending
- Boot unhelpful core beliefs. working on it

Emotional:
- Identify, accept and allow my feelings to flow. I harbour a lot of unresolved grief and anger. Share my feelings with safe people. CHECK/working on it

Social:
- Mend broken relationships. CHECK

Spiritual:
- This needs a lot of attention. Reconnect with my HP, realise that it's been *here* all along. Meditation. Journal. CHECK, working on it

Tools: mostly PENDING
- Seek out a SMART group in my area, or do the online course.
- Seriously consider AA.
- Maybe find some sort of GLBT support group.
- Find support for codependency issues - this is a biggie.
- I'd like to volunteer at my local hospital, at the local Red Cross or maybe even Church.
- Continue to find and give support here at SR

I've made some progress, and I feel okay. But still, there's lots of room for improvement. Reaching out for help is difficult for me.

I've been reading a lot of books/info on codependency, and I've realised that my biggest problems and insecurities stem from it. But I haven't called my therapist yet and, though I've found a CODA meeting nearby, I haven't attended. So... I'm coasting.

I'd better get busy.

:ghug everyone

wanttolive 06-18-2009 10:54 AM

yes, doing ok I guess, but summer is going to long. Wait 9 months for it and this is going to be a challenge. But then again I may remember it!!

HideorSeek 06-18-2009 11:21 AM

Good to see you hanging in there Matt. It's funny, sometimes a plan helps me and sometimes it overwhelms me. Tricky, this disease of ours. But you seem to be on top of things, so good for you!

And WTL, I hear you about summer! I laughed when you wrote that you would at least remember it! Blackouts are the worst, IMHO. The panic that sets in over what MIGHT have happened (but not being sure one way or the other), is one of the worst feelings in the world for me.

Hang in there. The pride that we will feel tomorrow will make us feel better than a drink today ever could.

Hugs to you both and thanks for checking in :)

Seek

Mattcake 06-18-2009 11:35 AM

:hug: Wanttolive.. This will be a summer to remember.. :wink:

Thanks, Seek..The codependence thing is really throwing me off kilter. So many things are starting to make sense now.. It's finally dawned on me that I'm my own person and, though obvious, it's also a very scary and overwhelming realization; it challenges many of my core beliefs. I'm trying to take it slowly, holding on to gratitude :)

Mary52 06-18-2009 12:48 PM

Hi May Alumni! I'm still around, just haven't been on the forum for awhile. I'm going strong at 13 months clean and sober now. I'm doing lots of meetings, working the 12 steps, talking to my sponsor, doing the next right thing, enjoying my family and especially my grandchildren.

God Bless you all! I have been blessed!!!!! I'll get to that another time, but That light at the end of the tunnel isn't just the locomotive coming at me anymore...