SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hello everyone. I am new here ) (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/174676-hello-everyone-i-am-new-here.html)

ThePath2Sober 04-19-2009 05:44 PM

Hello everyone. I am new here )

Hello everyone, I am new here and am looking forward to talking to many people, gaining help, and giving help.

I thought I hit bottom a bit ago with an arrest after my wife and I got into it...apparently not.

Currently, I am not Sober, 3 weeks later.

I have no defense, and make no arguments as to what happened the night i was hauled off and put in the drunk tank for the first time in my life, and honestly, I don't remember any of it, any of the courses of my action that led me here...I blacked out.....I had bottomed....until I got out.

As I write this I realize this is a rather long story, please bear with me, Ill shorten it =))....

Most recently I have been in marriage counseling with my wife (failed imo, I chewed our counselor out after she engaged me instead of listening) and have visited several local AA meetings until one fateful night that I came to conclude that it was....IMO...a "church group".

While I don't have any issue with anyone who goes to church, I personally am not one that is willing to be taught how to think and as such, church is not my way to go. I am a free thinker, more along the lines of budhism, spiritualism and overall whatever I want my religion to be. Going into AA, I had a set mindset as to what it was, and never realized that 6 / 12 steps involved god, and with my beliefs it just didn't work together. Needless to say when our marriage counselor engaged me on this fact, her and I got into it, and I left our session, never to return again. We continue to find another one.

I since have scheduled a meeting with an outpatient service for an "assessment" next week.

I begin the detox segment at least 3x a week as I try to pass through. I have detoxed by my self alone 5 times before (before ever realizing I was detoxing as it coincided with a 'biggest losser' contest at work and I attributed the symptoms to lack of calories....a mistake that earned me the nickname 'twitch' to which I couldn't explain at the time, but know better now.

My last attempt to stop was a 3 day stretch...Thur, Fri, Sat. by Saturday I couldn't drive, and with my wife 9 month's pregnant, she felt she couldn't drive and I pulled into a safeway and bought some bananas, and two 24oz beers, which I guzzled promptly when I got home w/o her knowledge, because as I thought it....she cannot drive, and I can drive much better w/o detox going on and the usual "oh I can stop anytime gig"...which I have several times in the past year, and come out on the other side fine, not realizing then it was a detox period. To me at this point my brain says I can stop...and drops the craving....but my body says ...oh no you don't!!! In the past, my mind has won out, but now my physical ailments has suffered my brain, and I continue on with a little bit.

Sorry all for the longness...apparetnly I have a lot to say, and a lot of ground to cover. If you have any questions, I feel comfortable here...as opposed to some AA meeting I have frequented over the last 2 months. I will try and post a daily update, as I am already feeling it's benefits...but where do I post it?

=me )) Thanks for reading my novel ))) :c032:

jsml1234 04-19-2009 05:50 PM

Hi ThePath2Sober and welcome. I have spent a lot of time viewing this site and posted when I felt led. I thank all who post here...It has helped and encouraged me beyond my expectations.

sailorjohn 04-19-2009 05:50 PM

welcome!!!

Keep coming back, you'll find a lot of support here.

grateful2b 04-19-2009 05:52 PM

Hello, and welcome to SR
congratulations on your sobertime!
you have found a great place full of information and wonderfully supportive people.
glad you found us - keep posting:)

ANGELINA243 04-19-2009 05:56 PM

Welcome! :wavey: Glad you are here. I am not a big fan of the drunk tank either. (I too was a blackout drinker.) You are not alone. We do recover. :ghug3

Aysha 04-19-2009 06:02 PM

Anna 04-19-2009 06:14 PM

Hi and Welcome,

You can continue to post your updates on this thread if you like, or you can start a new thread anytime you like.

You will find lots of support here!

ThePath2Sober 04-19-2009 06:36 PM

Well I am impressed by the amounts of posts already. I feel rather at ease here, as opposed to a face to face meeting where I feel a bit more self conscious. Thank you all. ))

ThePath2Sober 04-19-2009 06:37 PM

ANGELINA243...I would be interested in PM'ing our story.... TY

serenityqueen 04-19-2009 07:06 PM

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...6666666666.gif

Congrats on your decision to get Sober! Glad you found us and shared so much of what's going on. Keep posting on this thread if you like, I'll stop by and say hello each day!

God Bless & Keep it Simple,
Judy

coffeenut 04-19-2009 08:33 PM

Welcome to SR.

Sara9009 04-19-2009 09:15 PM

Glad you joined us!

Jane47 04-19-2009 09:31 PM

Welcome! This is a great place to be.

dabears34 04-19-2009 10:09 PM

Welcome! I've only been lurking/posting here for about a week, and it has helped so much, to share and to listen to others share. When I feel weak or tempted, I log in and read through a few posts, and whether a little or a lot, it always helps. A great resource for people with a desire to get or stay sober.

Maggot4Life 04-20-2009 01:47 AM

Welcome to SR, the support here is amazing.

Missymae737 04-20-2009 03:43 AM

Ditto to the above...

Keep posting...:c033:

Tazman53 04-20-2009 05:49 AM

Welcome to SR, one thing I have found in sobriety is that my opinions of MANY things have changed when looking through sober eyes. Stay honest, keep an open mind, and be willing to do what ever it takes to get and stay sober.

I did an awful lot of things to stay sober that my drunken mind told me was messed up that turned out to be key to me staying sober. If I had kept my mind closed and been unwilling to do things I was uncomfortable with I would still be drunk today.

adore79 04-20-2009 09:55 AM

:c009: Welcome to SR, I'm glad you signed up!

flutter 04-20-2009 09:59 AM

Welcome, and congrats on the almost here baby!!!!