SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   New first timer, confused (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/170369-new-first-timer-confused.html)

MLG33107 02-26-2009 08:35 AM

New first timer, confused

Hello everyone. My name is Michael and this is my first attempt at discussing my problem with anyone.

This morning, my wife told me she thinks I am an alcoholic. It hurt to hear those words, but I feel that they are true. I guess the first step is to admit that I cannot control my drinking, so I admit it. I don't have to drink everyday, but when I do drink I cannot stop. I drink everything in my possession. I feel guilty about sneaking drinks to keep my buzz going, my wife knows when I do, even though I might think she doesn't.

My wife and my health are really more important to me than drinking, so why do I do it? Why can I not have one beer and call it a night?

Today I am going to start my recovery. I will not drink after work. I intend to not drink tomorrow, Saturday, or Sunday. I intend, but I do not know if I will be successful. I am afraid that when I am offered drinks this weekend, I will give in. I would love to set small goals and meet them. Like go one week without a drink. If I can do that, then a month. If I can do that, six months...

I sought out an anonymous online forum because I believe the support will be helpful. I do not know any of you (so I think) so I can be completely honest. I intend to use this thread / board as a daily dairy of my efforts to quit drinking.

I thank you for taking the time to read this post.

TryingSoHard 02-26-2009 08:40 AM

Hi Michael, and welcome to SR.

It's a big step (and a positive one) that you've come here and you're admitting having a problem and needing help. There are a lot of us here who have been in your shoes (or still are in them!) and we are more than happy to offer our stories in hopes they will give you encouragement, strength, and hope.

Why can't you have just one and call it a night? Because you're addicted. Not being able to stop once you start, drinking everything in sight, hiding it, lying about it... all big, bright, red flags.

While your goals, even as "short-term" as you've laid out, are noble, I think the FIRST goal you should start with is not drinking TODAY. Don't overwhelm yourself thinking about tomorrow, Saturday, and Sunday yet. Worry about tomorrow TOMORROW. Get through tonight first.

Read the "sticky" posts in the forums here. Check out multiple forums (Newcomer's, Alcoholics, Newcomer's Daily Support, etc.). Read, read, read. Post as you feel comfortable.

You can do this.

californiapoppy 02-26-2009 08:43 AM

Go without a drink today, that's what I've done. We can pat each other on the back for today's accomplishment. WAY TO GO !
By the way I agree one drink does tend to lead to another

masseyman 02-26-2009 08:50 AM

Welcome Michael, SR is so helpful. I'm glad you are recognizing your addiction.

I was were you were only a little while ago....it's a hard decision your making...but worth all the work it takes to stay sober.

Open up here, we're all in this together.

Peace friend.

Bard 02-26-2009 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by MLG33107 (Post 2126050)
My wife and my health are really more important to me than drinking, so why do I do it? Why can I not have one beer and call it a night?

That's because our bodies are wired a little more differently then a normal casuals drinkers body is. There's a good book called Under the Influence you should check out that can help answer many questions you may have. You can go on Amazon and find it for a penny. It'll be worth it.

In the mean time welcome to SR. Read, post, and ask questions, get to know this whole recovery road from the inside out!

Amazonqueen522 02-26-2009 08:53 AM

:c009: Michael welcome to SR;

Michael try one day at a time, or a minute and hour whatever it takes you will get there step by step....

We are here for you,

xym297 02-26-2009 08:54 AM

Michael
My wife told me I was an aocoholic, I knew it was true but wouldn't admit it so well done, don't drink today, get to a meeting, get some help on here.
I am only on day 2 so am no expert, but I am an expert in losing a wife I loved dearly because I loved booze more than her has still taken me 7 months to realise it has beaten me, couldn't do it for my wife had to do it for me, when I woke up to it, it was was too late, the divorce is in progress and I miss her like crazy.
Good Luck to you

mamabin 02-26-2009 08:56 AM

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...earingBlue.gif
It's the first one that gets (well, GOT) me in trouble. I can sooo relate to what you're saying. This is a great place to be and a great group of people to be honest with. I post when I'm ready to drink, and get the support to stop me. And I try to take it one day at a time, but sometimes I have to take one moment at a time.
Welcome!

shaun00 02-26-2009 09:31 AM

That takes real guts doesnt it.........just those words........i cant stop..

and thats something you could keep saying to yourself...it may help...

"WHEN I COMMENCE DRINKING I CANNOT PREDICT WHEN IM GONNA STOP"

Thats how i define my drinking.......simple and straight to the point..

Im a chronic alcoholic that doesnt drink today or yesterday or for a while.

And im real real glad to meet you...

And im looking foward to your future posts.........

Because you and me and all of us he have a common goal....

Just today im not gonna drink......

Life can and is good without booze.....................trucker

December15 02-26-2009 09:33 AM

This is a great that you have put your foot on the ladder of recovery. You are right that this weekend could be difficult, our resolve can weaken when around other drinkers, especially in the first few weeks - might be an idea to keep yourself away from temptation in this respect.

Anna 02-26-2009 09:34 AM

Hi MLG,

Welcome and I am glad you recognize that you have a problem with alcohol.

I had to stay away from people and places where alcohol was being served, for quite a long time, when I first stopped drinking. It really helped.

AlkalikeH 02-26-2009 09:37 AM

Hey man, welcome! Itīs my second day here too and i have already find this board love-and-support filled. Take advantage of the great amount of information going round here and the people around it and the best of luck!

I Feel what xym297 feels. I let my drinking and everything that came through it (exaggerated jealousy, yelling, relationship deterioration in general) **** up a beautifull relationship with a very important girl in my life and there is no turning back on that one, and then i only sank deeper in booze after it all died. So take everything you have right now, all the love and the support and work through it!

Best! :)!!!!!!!!

BKP 02-26-2009 10:23 AM

The key is finding the starting point in which you did. WELCOME. do this, every min you live sober is a method of moving forward to the goal you want for yourself.

least 02-26-2009 10:55 AM

Welcome to the family Michael!:ghug3 It takes a lot of courage to admit there is a problem. By admitting it now, tho, you can save yourself a lot of heartache down the road. Do set small goals for yourself - don't drink for today. That's a manageable goal. And it may be a good idea to keep away from tempting people, places, and things for a while.

Glad you found us!

Iriss 02-26-2009 11:08 AM

Hi, Welcom to SR, lots of support here, stay around.. x

MLG33107 02-26-2009 11:20 AM

Thanks everyone.

I just had a self-awareness moment. I realized that I am a good person with everything going for me and that alcohol only takes away from that. It contributes nothing to my life. I have enjoyed drinking since I started at 20. Now, a decade later, I realize it is a waste of time, body, and money. I gain nothing from it.

Wolfchild 02-26-2009 01:03 PM

Welcome. i hope you find the help you need. i suggest calling the AA Hotline number(should be in the phone book) and going to a meeting. Our words of support and encouragement do not have the same meaning as a face to face conversation with someone who is willing to help you stop drinking. i'd like to say, "Don't be scared", but maybe you need to be. It sometimes is the motivating factor to look outside of ourselves for the help we need. We can't do this alone and i need you just as much as you need me if were going to stay sober during this day. Try not to set any expectations on yourself. Haven't you beaten yourself up enough with your inability to control your drinking?? You've taken a step in the right direction by sharing that you want to stop drinking! Keep moving forward with that and your life will change for the better! My life has been getting better since 1,082 days ago and i have a hell of lot more hope for myself than that first day. Keep coming back!!

JusToday 02-26-2009 02:29 PM

Welcome and I appreciate your courage and honesty. I got a bit I would love to share with you, because I just recently spoke with a friend of mine who is in an almost identical situation you are in (he's a binge drinker also).

...the first step is to admit that I cannot control my drinking, so I admit it.
What you said here bud is the First and most important Truth in the universe (as far as us alcoholics and addicts go). You hit the nail on the head. We cannot control this on our own and that also means that, since we cannot control this problem...we also cannot recover on our own good intentions and tenacity. We don't have that power and frankly we don't know what we are doing (regarding trying to recover).

You are married (as I am now for 18 years) and I don't know if you have kids, but lets use mine. If I were to ask my 14 son (whose a great kid, mind you) to take on the project of rebuilding the transmission in my car...he would probably give me a slightly worried and somewhat blank stare. And of course he would...he has no idea how to do something like that (at least for now), because hes still young and inexperienced. It would take some education (instruction manuals etc.), someone showing him how to do it and a good amount of trial and error before he got there. Our recovery is no different, we cannot "just do it" any more succesfully than my son would be able to just rebuild the trani all on his "willpower" (plus I'd be out completely a vehicle when at least it partially works now. LOL)

I want to simply encourage you to embrace your words (which I commend you for highly) and realize that you have taken the first step of many at ending your cycle of drinking. So much of our recovery is about changing the way we think about ourselves, because our current thinking got us to use. There is so much good information and support at this website as well as any AA group that you visit. Utilize it all as much as you can and listen well to those who have been in your shoes and walk this out for good while.

Glad to have you here.

mle-sober 02-26-2009 02:45 PM

Welcome to SR. I'm glad you're here.

I'm glad you are beginning to see the true role that alcohol plays in your life. It's the beginning of your recovery.

Pelican 02-26-2009 05:14 PM

Welcome to the SR family!

You will find plenty of support and information here. Read and post as much as you need.

When I discovered this wonderful place, I found the following link very helpful. Bard mentioned the book "Under the Influence" these are excerpts from the book as posted here at SR under Alcoholism. This book helped me understand how I became addicted to alcohol entirely, body, mind and soul.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html