SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   CHANGE: A year later... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/169977-change-year-later.html)

Mattcake 02-21-2009 03:14 PM

CHANGE: A year later...

My Choice is to avoid counting days of sobriety. Today, though:

Via a search engine, I found SR in 2006, though I only became a member a year ago today. (As usual, the past haunts me)

A year ago today, I posted about my decision for an addiction-free life. The decision seemed unfamiliar yet present. Sstrange, but right. After many years of struggle, despair and hardship, I had had enough. It was uncanny. Though that life was familiar to me, it was no longer mine. I was scared of changing.

Thanks to that decision, I still feel the same way today: here in SR - thanks to you - I have learned the power of form, forgiveness, companionship, respect and truth.

I expected bliss to accompany my initial determination. Some foolishness prevented me from finding it when I got lost, but I was enough lucky to have you show me the way again. A bit of your determination became my own; knowing that "changing" did not mean turning into somebody else is what held the key.

Each and everyone of us deserve wonder; let's go for it!

Horselover 02-21-2009 03:25 PM

So very well said Matt, as usual. Thanks for sharing that message.

:You_Rock_

Dee74 02-21-2009 03:39 PM

congrats 'n' thanks on your last year with us here, Matt :)

D

grateful2b 02-21-2009 03:41 PM

Matt, its been awesome having ya here:hug:

SummerSkye 02-21-2009 03:57 PM

Mat that is awesome:c011::Val004: Would you be willing to tell us what are the biggest changes you have noticed in your life from a year ago?

jowinbo 02-21-2009 04:02 PM

congrats!!!!!

am glad you took the road to chane!!!!!

Fubarcdn 02-21-2009 04:12 PM

Congratulations on your uncounted sober time and thanks for contributing to SR for a year. I am sure you made many friends on the way. :You_Rock_

Mattcake 02-21-2009 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by SummerSkye (Post 2119244)
Mat that is awesome:c011::Val004: Would you be willing to tell us what are the biggest changes you have noticed in your life from a year ago?

I've noticed several changes. But I'll try to narrow them down to onrthing:

Sobriety rocks! I certainly didn't feel this way a year ago. Back then, sobriety was something to be endured. Now, though, I know that sobriety is the one key that enables us to fully experience ourselves and others. I think that, once this seed is firmly planted, it's hard to go back.

CarolD 02-21-2009 09:57 PM

:funjump:

allport 02-21-2009 10:10 PM

Matty you should post more often, you are inspirational :ghug3

RobbyRobot 02-24-2009 06:32 AM

All the best always Matty :)
RR

stone 02-24-2009 08:05 AM

Hi Matt. Keep it in the day, mate. :)

SoberforME 02-24-2009 08:11 AM

YAY YOU!!

Happy one year on SR :)

suki44883 02-24-2009 08:22 AM

If not for you, I wouldn't be the happy, well-adjusted, sober gal I am! I love ya, Mattycakes! :You_Rock_

Anna 02-24-2009 08:41 AM

Beautiful Matt!

And, yes, change does not mean becoming someone else, it means finding our true self.

I think in sobriety, we learn that all our experiences in life, are for a purpose. And, in fact, things are not necessarily negative or positive - they just are and we need to stay open and willing to learn.

Matt, it's wonderful to see your growth and thanks for sharing your generous spirit.

:ghug3

endzoner 02-24-2009 10:16 AM

we all adore our Mattycakes .. thanks for being in our lives , youve touched mine and many others . we love ya ............... keep coming back ... your friend and family memeber of SR Endzy:You_Rock_