SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I'm pretty well at the end of my rope.. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/167512-im-pretty-well-end-my-rope.html)

adore79 01-24-2009 07:01 PM

Hi Richard and welcome! Yes, please do go to the ER if your symptoms get worse. If you are puking up the liquid you drink then dehydration is a possiblility. I am thinking of you and I hope you will be ok. :ghug3

LaDita 01-24-2009 07:08 PM

Welcome Richard! SR is a wonderful place. I'm glad you found us and I look forward to seeing you around!

:You_Rock_

Iggy1966 01-24-2009 10:19 PM

Keep at it man, I'm finishing up Day 3, and I didn't have 3 days last year where I wasn't drunk. It gets better, I promise...

ToABetterMe 01-24-2009 10:23 PM

Thoughts & prayers. Be strong! come here often!

I know how hard it is when the spouse is a big drinker. My husband is drinking tonight feet from me, which is why I am on here drinking POP!

I am on day 4! So right with ya!

serenityqueen 01-24-2009 10:46 PM

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...epitsimple.gif

I'd also like to say Welcome to SR and Welcome back to life . . . even though you are feeling pretty rough right now. Oh, I remember that feeling well. It's one that I don't ever want to forget.

Please watch for the signs of withdrawal that can be very dangerous. You mentioned if you begin to hallucinate that you will go to the hospital. You can't wait that long. Seizures are a common withdrawal symptom in people who drank quite a bit so be careful. I imagine you're wife won't be at work too much longer so at least she'll be home with you. If the shakes get too bad, you can't begin to keep liquids down (milk isn't such a good idea right now, stick to clear liquids) you start itching or just plain feel worse, please go to the hospital ASAP.

Hang in there, the reward is worth it,
Judy

kdudley3 01-24-2009 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by kdudley3 (Post 2077738)
I'm new too...just trying to recover.

Just know that even if you fail...that you can try again.

Try...try...try.

I will say a prayer for you.

Keep it going...you can do it!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's stick together!

Richard54 01-25-2009 12:56 AM

Well I figure I've made it through my first day now, yippie!
My wife came home from work with a six pack of tall tins, drank them all and went to bed. She asked me if I wanted one and I said 'Nope'...she kinda gave me a weird look, lol. It's her decision to make for herself, I've made mine.
No hallucinations or anything, although I've still got the shakes and don't know how much sleep I will get tonight.....I've been on here for hours reading stories.
What a wonderful web site, and you people are simply awesome.
Tomorrow will be day 2 and I'm actually looking forward to it!
Thanks.

kdudley3 01-25-2009 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by kdudley3 (Post 2077738)
I'm new too...just trying to recover.

Just know that even if you fail...that you can't try again.

Try...try...try.

I will say a prayer for you.

Keep it going...you can do it!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry I misspelled...I meant that you CAN try again! So sorry!

Richard54 01-25-2009 08:49 PM

Oh yes ,I 'm keeping it going.
I'm at the end of day 2 right now, no booze!
Yesterday was rough.
Hardly slept last night, stayed on the couch had sweats like crazy,
and was shaky.
Sleep, if at all, was sorta just a dreamy kinda state.
I felt like I was in a different place, and would open my eyes thinking their were
figures walking around the living room...Weird..

I mentioned my wife came home from work last night with a 6 pack of tall tins and
asked me if I wanted one. I declined, thank God. I know if had drank one, I would have been off to the store in 5 minutes for more, lots more. I would likely be drunk right now and not posting here.

We (my wife and I) had a talk this morning.
I explained I was serious and was not going to be drinking any more, she could if she wanted but I was done with it. No choice for me I have to quit.

She looked at me, and said "I'll join you".
How about that!
I am so impressed and in love with this woman for her support. She drank a lot but always seemed to
know when to stop, I can't.

I've had some good solid food today, a nap on the couch,
some pleasant sober time with my wife, and have spent hours on this website reading.

It's inspiring!

I'm still a little shaky, but am beginning to feel like a new man again.
Tomorrow will be day 3, and I fully intend to keep it up.

Thanks everybody.

grateful2b 01-25-2009 08:52 PM

Richard, congratulations on day 2!
and I am thrilled for you that your wife is going to join you..

CarolD 01-25-2009 09:12 PM

:wave:
Welcome to our recovery community

I finally quit drinking at 52...it's the wisest decision
I ever made....:yup:
Good for you!

Here is the link to the book that convinced me to
finally quit Hope it helps you to move forward

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

nordicwalker 01-25-2009 09:56 PM

Best wishes Richard, seek help if you can hang on in there!
N.Walker.

SeaHorse 01-25-2009 10:15 PM

[B]Welcome to SR. Please go to the nearest emergency room and have yourself checkout out medically. You may feel well now. But an alcoholic seizure comes on with no warning. Don't play games with your life. Why don't you and your wife go together>

espresso 01-26-2009 03:13 AM

Welcome Richard. Someone has already said to see your Doctor - it's really important if you stop drinking suddenly to seek medical help, in case you should fit. SR is great for support and help so please keep posting and Keep Coming back!

least 01-26-2009 04:30 AM

Welcome to the family Richard!:ghug3 I'm glad you found us and very glad you have the support and company of your wife in staying sober.

You CAN do this. Just don't drink for today. I had six months sober and drank last Saturday. Now I'm on day two and I will not drink today. You can do this. Just take it one day at a time.

Strangef8 01-26-2009 04:47 AM

That's awesome news about your wife joining you! I hope that you guys can lean on each other when you need to.

And welcome to SR. I am on Day 7 and can attest to how wonderful this place and the people here are.

Pelican 01-26-2009 04:48 AM

Welcome to the SR family Richard!

You will find lots of information here. Make yourself at home and post away.

I am married to my drinking partner of 14 years. I am sober, he is not. Be sure you do this for yourself. Don't let other peoples actions/words distract you from a better life for yourself.

The link that Carol D posted is excellent. I read that book cover to cover. You will find information in the end of the book about hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) that a lot of alcoholics experience after quitting drinking. The book even offers a menu plan for day to day eating.

For now, try to drink beverages with electrolytes.

Congratulations to you and your wife!