Notices

I'm pretty well at the end of my rope..

Old 01-24-2009, 04:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm pretty well at the end of my rope..

Hi everybody, I'm Richard 54 years old, and new here. I'm trying (once again), to quit drinking.
I am scared if I don't quit right now, today, I'm in danger of actually dying.
Today is my first day sober in many many months (years actually, now that I think about it)
I'm glad to have found this website.
I've been puking all day, just dry heaves now...yuk, I'm so sick of being like this. I've got the shakes so bad it is hard to type.
I'm pretty determined and solid with the decision to finally quit and clean up my act, but....

My wife is also an alcoholic (she is at work now, I'm home alone).
I'm hoping she will quit also, otherwise I will have quite a dilemma on my hands...I simply cannot carry on the way I have been.....

Thanks for listening, and once again I'm so glad to have found this site.
I'm going back to bed to try and hopefully get some well needed sleep.
I'm so sick of this lifestyle....

Good luck to everyone!
Old 01-24-2009, 04:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Hi Richard, welcome to SR!
we're glad you found us
hope you stick around.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Perfectly Flawed

Good to see ya Richard. The first couple of days can be hard but if you ride out the shakes and the sweats, things will get better.

Just keep posting bud, you know you're doing the right thing.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Richard,

Welcome!

I'm glad you have made a decision to live a sober life. Have you talked to your dr because stopping drinking can be very dangerous?

I think you can show your wife, by your example, the benefits of a sober life. Hopefully she will join you, but if not, you will find peace and serenity as you recover.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Richard. I know it's horrible what you are going through and I do hope you are getting some rest. Do you think you will be ok or do you think that you could use some medical assistance? I know I needed that once, so if you are having a tough time, please consider it?
Old 01-24-2009, 04:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Richard, welcome. Please see your Dr? Anna is right, suddenly stopping alcohol intake can sometimes be life threatening. My doc has been a life saver.

My partner is also an alcohol abuser. He quit the same day I did, nine days ago. We are in this together, maybe you can get your wife to join you?

Take care.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! Glad you are here! Richard, have you asked a doctor about how to safely detox from alcohol? Alcohol detox (cold turkey) can be dangerous--even fatal for some of us. I needed medical assistance...I too got the shakes alot and had to be taken to the ER a few times. I couldn't just quit drinking. I needed outside help from medical professionals (at first). They said I could have had a seizure had I not got the help I needed. Just stay safe and don't hesitate to ask for/seek medical help if needed.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Richard, and welcome!

You sound right where I was about seven months ago. Sick and disgusted, beaten and used up, looking at a one-way ticket to death. That's what alcohol will do to us.

I don't know about your wife, but I do know if anyone really wants to put an end to the madness they can. I did, and all of the wonderful people here have done so as well. You can, too, if you really want your life to be different.

It helps to get as informed as possible, and checking in with your doctor is always a good idea. There's a lot of great information on alcoholism right here on this forum, from the many threads over the years, to the great stickies on the top of the forum itself.

Hang in there. There's hope and a great life on the other side of the bottle, as well as many people to support you.

Hope you check back soon.

Hugs,
Donna
Old 01-24-2009, 04:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, thank you everbody!
I have not talked to my doctor, but I think I will be ok, as long as I don't start drinking.
I'm trying to drink lots of water to rehydrate, but mostly I'm just puking it back up.
So glad to have found this site! In the past I have tried AA meetings, but they never seemed to work for me, thanks for listening...
Old 01-24-2009, 04:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Richard.

Hopefully your wife will recognize the importance of your decision. And, hopefully, she will walk the same path as you.

Seeing a doctor is always a good idea. Please consider doing so if your symptoms don't improve soon.

Originally Posted by Richard54 View Post
... I'm home alone...
In SR, you are never alone Reach out as much as you need to.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
God is leading the way!!!

Peace doesn't require two people; it requires only one. It has to be you. The problem begins and ends there. Byron Katie

DessertDonna I love this quote I want to be in peace...........

Richard54 Its not easy but as the days go by you will feel better

Thanks,

Sober since 1/7/09 and loving it
Old 01-24-2009, 04:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think my wife will join me in sobriety actually. I'm hopeful of this we talked it over this morning, but even if she doesn't my own decision is firm, I really have no alternative.
She is an alchoholic, but not as bad as me...
I easily drink 4 times what she does...I've been off work for a while and have been drunk from the moment I woke up in the morning till the wee hours at night.
As an example of my intake, yesterday morning I was still drunk when I woke up, and throughout the day drank 26 cans of beer. I just counted the empties, to be sure...My God I have to make a U turn here...
Thanks again for listening, I'm already feeling better!
Old 01-24-2009, 05:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Richard54 View Post
I think my wife will join me in sobriety actually. I'm hopeful of this we talked it over this morning, but even if she doesn't my own decision is firm, I really have no alternative.
She is an alchoholic, but not as bad as me...
I easily drink 4 times what she does...I've been off work for a while and have been drunk from the moment I woke up in the morning till the wee hours at night.
As an example of my intake, yesterday morning I was still drunk when I woke up, and throughout the day drank 26 cans of beer. I just counted the empties, to be sure...My God I have to make a U turn here...
Thanks again for listening, I'm already feeling better!
That's a lot of beer...I am glad to hear your wife will join you. I am glad you are feeling better. The more you post, the better you will feel. I am only on day 4, but already physically the pain in my stomach is no more (thank God). I was really afraid, like you are now, that if I don't stop now it will be too late (at least that is what my Dr. told me on Wed and I believe him). I am 49, so not far behind you.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR. Congratulations on your decision to quit drinking.

I too am married to an alcoholic. I quit 7 months ago. He quit 2 weeks ago.

Right now, just worry about you, one day at a time.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Eternal optimist

Welcome Richard. A lot of us find this place feeling at the end of our rope. It's quite a scary feeling being sick, hungover and out of control. I came here in a desperate attempt to once again quit drinking. I came here with resolve, sounds like you have to. I come here often to remind myself why I just simply cannot drink, I hope you join us. PIcking up another drink is not worth the consequences -- they are too great. You will find a lot of information here as well as a lot of support. Glad you're here
Old 01-24-2009, 06:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Resident

I want to add my welcome and as the others have said you will get lots of support. I am an old guy too but you can teach us old dogs new tricks. Good luck and if the bad symptons persist it doesn't hurt to see a doc. Good luck
Old 01-24-2009, 06:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Glad you are here. I do hope you and your wife decide to be sober together. If you dont feel better soon I would talk with a Dr. Stopping cold turkey can be risky. Hope to see more of you.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wow, I've just spent about 2 hours browsing through this website, and I'm loving it!
I'm actually not feeling too bad considering the amount I've been drinking.
Its about 6 30 pm here and normally I would be half smashed by now..
I managed to put down some toast, and about a litre of milk...
I do have the shakes, and a wicked hangover still,but considering all, I don't think I'm going to have to
go to the doctor. If I start hallucinating or something,I will head to emergency,
but all in all, I think I'm gonna be fine....(as long as I don't start drinking, which I have no intention of doing). Maybe I'm just getting off lucky or maybe the alchohol withdrawl hasn't really kicked in yet. I'm sure I will find out soon enough.
Thanks everybody!
Old 01-24-2009, 06:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm new too...just trying to recover.

Just know that even if you fail...that you can't try again.

Try...try...try.

I will say a prayer for you.

Keep it going...you can do it!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-24-2009, 06:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yeah, best wishes to you Richard and everyone!

This really is a great place!