SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   This Is Day 3 Of My Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/159322-day-3-my-recovery.html)

getr345 10-26-2008 01:04 PM

I was watching the new Celebrity Rehab w/ Drew Pinsky and he said something about Gary Bucey that made me think. He said that Gary Bucey only thinks he has sobriety because although he quit drinking and doing coke like 13 years ago, he still admits to smoking pot occasionally. It made me wonder if I'm really just fooling myself. Even though I quit drinking 22 days ago, I have smoked pot several times in those 22 days, and according to Dr. Drew's logic, I really have no sobriety time at all because of that. Just not sure how I feel about that because from where I stand, pot was never a problem for me the way booze was.

I'd welcome any feedback or thought on this.

Pelican 10-26-2008 06:57 PM

I'm glad you quit drinking 22 days ago! You have made real progress and been a source of encouragement to others.

Pot? Not for me anymore. I tried switching from vodka to pot (was only a recreational user previously). I couldn't cope with feeling like I was trying to find a substitute for alcohol. So no more pot for me. It took longer to give up the others, cigarettes, wine, beer, etc....

For me, I realized that I was looking for "something" to help me escape from some very real issues. I feel better about myself and my future without stimulates (except caffeine) to get me through my day. That way I know my decisions were made without influence. No regrets.

getr345 10-27-2008 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Pelican (Post 1958860)
I'm glad you quit drinking 22 days ago! You have made real progress and been a source of encouragement to others.

Pot? Not for me anymore. I tried switching from vodka to pot (was only a recreational user previously). I couldn't cope with feeling like I was trying to find a substitute for alcohol. So no more pot for me. It took longer to give up the others, cigarettes, wine, beer, etc....

For me, I realized that I was looking for "something" to help me escape from some very real issues. I feel better about myself and my future without stimulates (except caffeine) to get me through my day. That way I know my decisions were made without influence. No regrets.

Pot doesn't feel like a substitute for booze to me. It's something that's been in my life for a while. For sure, I don't see myself smoking it forever but when I compare it to booze, I don't feel the need to force myself to stop now and forever. It just doesn't pack the negative punch of alcohol. But can I really consider myself "sober" and take pride in that "sobriety" if I continue to remain addicted to nicotine, and smoke a doobie every now and again?

littlefish 10-27-2008 09:14 AM

Well, I'm no expert but I wouldn't worry about the cigarettes at all. They don't alter your mind and millions of recovered alcoholics would be very unhappy if they had to quit smoking!
I would concentrate on staying sober first. But, I suspect that if you went to for example an AA or a NA or a CA meeting, they would ask you not to attend a meeting after smoking pot.
Why don't you try going to an AA meeting and try to find a sponsor? I really don't have an answer about pot, but I do know that it is illegal and you can get arrested for smoking pot and driving!

getr345 10-27-2008 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by littlefish (Post 1959366)
I really don't have an answer about pot, but I do know that it is illegal and you can get arrested for smoking pot and driving!

If Question 2 passes on Election Day here in Massachusetts, possession of less than an ounce will be decriminalized and all you'd get is a ticket and you would not have a CORI record for it. Personally, I think that is a step in the right direction and I will vote accordingly.

getr345 10-27-2008 09:59 AM

Let me put it this way: I've always maintained that no matter what the law says at any given time, my Liberty and my rights as a Free American extend so far as to to say that I and only I can determine what I will choose or choose not to put in my body, so long as I am not hurting anyone or putting anyone else at risk. I contend that nobody has the right to tell me I can't legally induce a particular substance, particularly if that substance is natural and indigenous to planet Earth. I'm not trying to be difficult here, I'm just trying to express how I feel about marijuana. I'm quite sure the day will come when I say, OK, I'm bored of this, or I just don't want to do it anymore but I resent the fact that anyone thinks they can tell me that when it's not their place to do so.

getr345 10-28-2008 12:51 PM

I hope I didn't rub anyone the wrong way with my last few posts in this thread.

If I did, my apologies.

Watched a great episode of Intervention last night that I could really relate to. The story of Jacob. What a smart, sensitive guy he was, just crying out for help, and you could tell he was so glad when it finally came. I felt like that for a long time, but realized I had to help myself.

Today is Day 24.

David69 10-28-2008 05:47 PM

Good luck

Saw your posting on my thread and decided to read yours. Yes, your story does sound a lot like mine. I too was in the Military....no drinking during basic training or AIT but every pass was a mad race to get off post and booze it up. Drugs were never an issue with me....I mean I did smoke a LOT of pot in my younger years and test a few other drugs but that was an easy decision for me to stop. Booze on the other hand is just got its claws a little deep over the years.

I was not going to tell my wife either, mainly due to the massive potential for backsliding on my part. It would be easier to just let her see the changes as things progress so I can understand where you are coming from. However, I did tell her that I was quitting and that I signed up for this forum....won't let her read anything just yet though.

The military gave me a will to not let anything beat me but it also helped with forming this nasty habit as booze is SO easy to get on base. Plus there is not a lot else to do. I remember going to the gym everyday, running 4-5 miles a day after PT and then going out to attack my liver everynight.

I have never lost a job due to my drinking (did get a DUI in 1996) and now I have this EXCELLENT job working from home, pay is crazy good and I could easily screw it up if things don't change.

I hope you make it and will be cheering for you dude.

Pelican 10-28-2008 07:16 PM

no harm, no foul here...
Congrats on 24 days. Keep on keeping on!

least 10-28-2008 07:33 PM

I also smoked pot in my hippie days and never had any problems with it at all. Not counting the illegality, it pales in comparison with my problems with alcohol. So I don't see as much fuss about it as I do with alcohol, imho.

I can't tell anyone else how to run their program. It's all I can do to run mine. So I won't give you any sh!t about your sober time cause it's not my business, but I do have a bit of bias when it comes to alcohol and not so much when it comes to pot. Just my opinion, but maybe my hippie background is responsible for my laissez faire (if I got the spelling right) attitude.

getr345 10-28-2008 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by David69 (Post 1961370)
Saw your posting on my thread and decided to read yours. Yes, your story does sound a lot like mine. I too was in the Military....no drinking during basic training or AIT but every pass was a mad race to get off post and booze it up. Drugs were never an issue with me....I mean I did smoke a LOT of pot in my younger years and test a few other drugs but that was an easy decision for me to stop. Booze on the other hand is just got its claws a little deep over the years.

I was not going to tell my wife either, mainly due to the massive potential for backsliding on my part. It would be easier to just let her see the changes as things progress so I can understand where you are coming from. However, I did tell her that I was quitting and that I signed up for this forum....won't let her read anything just yet though.

The military gave me a will to not let anything beat me but it also helped with forming this nasty habit as booze is SO easy to get on base. Plus there is not a lot else to do. I remember going to the gym everyday, running 4-5 miles a day after PT and then going out to attack my liver everynight.

I have never lost a job due to my drinking (did get a DUI in 1996) and now I have this EXCELLENT job working from home, pay is crazy good and I could easily screw it up if things don't change.

I hope you make it and will be cheering for you dude.

I didn't tell my wife about this forum, and don't plan to.

Thanks for the post man, and congrats on your decision to stop drinking.

getr345 10-30-2008 09:52 AM

Saw a very interesting book on the shelves of my local bookstore a couple days ago, "The Cure For Alcoholism", which supposedly is the Sinclair Method. What was most interesting about it was that in order to get the cure, you keep right on drinking like (ab)normal but you take a pill before you drink and apparently, this breaks the addiction, you drink less, and before you know it you really don't drink at all. Not sure that's the "cure" for me because I don't want to drink anymore, but for someone out there, maybe that's the answer. Anyone ever heard of this Sinclair Method? I bet it's very controversial in recovery circles.

Not much else going on, just recovering from the FLU now.

This is Day 26.

getr345 11-01-2008 09:46 AM

28 Days Later

http://www.whatdvd.net/WhatDVD-Graphics/main/94.jpg

I'm running from the old me.

Beligerent 11-01-2008 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Hilltopper1972 (Post 1936787)
Hey glad to see you here. I'm 36 married with two small kids. I saw this coming a mile away as well and much like you my social circle almost exclusively is about partying.

Hill

Yup I can totally relate to this guy. Day for 3 for me right now and I don't know how Ill be with my friends. I don't think we have ever gotten together without drinking.

getr345 11-03-2008 09:16 AM

About a week ago, I told a very dear friend of mine that I had decided to stop drinking and explained it all to him, everything. This particular friend has battled the bottle his whole life, and is someone that I have always thought has had a problem with alcohol and who needed help. Anyway, I never really considered how my decision to stop drinking might affect other people beyond my wife. She was truly my only consideration. I could tell when I told him the news and the story that he was very intrigued. Well, intrigue has turned inward to soul searching and my friend has decided (I think for the first time) to try to stop drinking also. He called me last night and told me he did not drink on Saturday and that he had not had a drink that day (yesterday, Sunday). Of course, I'm really happy for him, and it makes me feel good to know that my decision may have positive implications in the life of another person. I don't know how it will turn out for him though. I think his addiction to alcohol is/was much stronger than mine ever was and I think he has a tough fight in front of him. I want to be able to support him and help him. It's also good to know I'm not in it alone anymore, one of my best friends is going though the same thing.

He also may join this forum.

This is Day 30. I have a month, http://media.teamxbox.com/forum/smilies/banana.gif OMG!!!...where's my "chip"?

http://www.aaharrisburg.org/images/aalogo_chip.gif

least 11-03-2008 10:04 AM

Way to go on 30 days! You see how your little 'ripple' is spreading. Your friend has his own battle to fight, but your honesty may have positive effects for your friend!:a122:

:You_Rock_

sickerthnothrs 11-10-2008 11:06 PM

just wanted to quickly say hello to all of you and welcome you to the online rooms of recovery. it doesnt matter to me how you got here, it matters to me that you are wanting to stay clean and sober right now. i have been through hell and back thanks to my addiction and i happily and honestly say that today my life has been turned around because of the choices i have made not to use drugs. i continue to do what i know is right and that entails trying to give what was so freely given to me.

I look forward to spreading the message of recovery and learning something new. Till then
Be well and smile, there is an end.

getr345 11-11-2008 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by sickerthnothrs (Post 1978092)
just wanted to quickly say hello to all of you and welcome you to the online rooms of recovery. it doesnt matter to me how you got here, it matters to me that you are wanting to stay clean and sober right now. i have been through hell and back thanks to my addiction and i happily and honestly say that today my life has been turned around because of the choices i have made not to use drugs. i continue to do what i know is right and that entails trying to give what was so freely given to me.

I look forward to spreading the message of recovery and learning something new. Till then
Be well and smile, there is an end.

I'm curious: Why did you decide to post this in this particular thread?

sickerthnothrs 11-11-2008 12:21 PM

not quite sure...i decided just to share the wealth...allow myself to introduce myself.

getr345 10-05-2022 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Hevyn (Post 1942210)
Hi again Get. Your wife will probably have mixed feelings. She'll be proud, maybe even relieved (in her heart knowing this needs to be done) but also she's losing her drinking buddy, & you quitting may make her uncomfortable when she looks at her own drinking patterns. She may be afraid of how this will change your lives together. I personally think it's great you went ahead and did those social things you normally do. For me, that was the only way - even though I realize some can't handle being around alcohol. Since it can get complicated when you begin to share your news with others, I think you're wise to wait until you're feeling stronger and more confident.

When I did finally tell her all those years ago, that’s exactly what she said. She expressed sadness over “losing my drinking buddy” and sadness over “we will never get to enjoy another bottle of wine ever again.” Thanks again to all who read my story and who offered their own.