SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   What is your drink of choice? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/156591-what-your-drink-choice.html)

Eclipse 08-27-2008 07:04 PM

What is your drink of choice?

So, I am a wine drinker. I can drink ALOT of wine. I go between red wine (cuz its good for you -- haha) and white wine which is sweeter. I used to drink beer, but I get too full after a couple and don't feel like drinking it. I don't like hard liquor for some reason. If I am out of wine I can drink one or two beers, and that's it, I'm done. We have bourbon and gin in the cupboards that have been there for years that I would never drink...so is there some kind of sugar craving with the wine? Can I try to substitute something that would take away the craving or am I just an alcoholic that likes wine?

deezaldog 08-27-2008 07:06 PM

Yep!

Bamboozle 08-27-2008 07:09 PM

Why not try grape juice, cranberry juice, pomegranate juice, papaya juice, blueberry juice, apple juice, orange juice...

Those are sugary, PLUS they have some nutrients/antioxidants you need.

TryingSoHard 08-27-2008 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bamboozle (Post 1888322)
Why not try grape juice, cranberry juice, pomegranate juice, papaya juice, blueberry juice, apple juice, orange juice...

Those are some darn fine suggestions!

My poison is mostly vodka, but I will drink just about anything. I like it all... *sigh*... and I can shoot tequila with the best of them. :P

CarolD 08-27-2008 07:29 PM

My drink of choice?
Unsweet Tea with Lemon.

According to the CDC.....there is no difference between
wine...beer...liquor as to how they are processed internally.
They all do the same danage.

And for information on how one
processes alcohol...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

LosingmyMisery 08-27-2008 07:31 PM

These days...water.

Eclipse 08-27-2008 07:40 PM

I love water and I love to put lemon in it, but it just doesn't hit the spot?

Bamboozle 08-27-2008 07:54 PM

It will after you are sober for a while...

TryingSoHard 08-27-2008 07:57 PM

I've heard a few people suggest cranberry juice and club soda. I might have to try that. Orange juice and sprite is good, too.

Pinkcuda 08-27-2008 08:13 PM

Ice Water isn't near as bad as I thought it would be.

Bamboozle 08-27-2008 08:16 PM

I just re-read what I posted and it may have come off wrong. I'm not trying to be a thorn in your side, but things really do taste better after you stop drinking for a while...at least they do for me.

bostonluv 08-27-2008 08:16 PM

I'm with Carol. Iced tea with LOTS of lemon. I really like citrus drinks. Odwalla lemonade with Hansens lime soda. That is really refreshing!

Eclipse 08-27-2008 08:19 PM

Hey Bamboozle, please be a thorn in my side. Thats what I need. I just wonder if its the sugar content that I crave, all your ideas are great. Also the ice tea with lemon and of course just good ole' water.

I just don't quite understand why the wine is such a triggger and not the rest of the stuff

SlvrMag 08-27-2008 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by CarolD (Post 1888343)
According to the CDC.....there is no difference between
wine...beer...liquor as to how they are processed internally.
They all do the same danage.

So, it's just a matter of taste preference??

mle-sober 08-27-2008 08:23 PM

I drank other alcoholic drinks but wine was really my weakest spot. Now I make an evening cocktail with a good Cranberry-Grape 100% juice. I fill the glass about 1/4 of the way full. Then add Pelligrino to the top and then squeeze a line wedge in it. Yum. Hits the spot for me and has barely any calories. Good luck!

SelfSeeking 08-27-2008 08:33 PM

My fave substitute for something "special" is lime-infused perrier. Comes in individual serving bottles. It's what I open now when I'm in front of the tv, instead of beer.

I've noticed since I stopped drinking how much more water, milk and juice I drink. So much more calcium and vitamin C and hydration!

TTOSBT 08-27-2008 08:41 PM

I am all about ice tea w/ splenda sweetener or iced coffee wih a little vanilla syrup, YUM!
Oh yeah, I was a total wino, never drank anything else :)

SelfSeeking 08-27-2008 08:53 PM

(I was equal opportunity w/alcohol.)

Aysha 08-27-2008 09:50 PM

Limeade rocks right now.

tesquizito 08-27-2008 10:37 PM

These days I buy Tejava (unsweetened ice tea) by the case.

For special occasions, Pellegrino with lemon or lime and/or splash of juice.