SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   New to the forum, major problem (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/127876-new-forum-major-problem.html)

stone 11-01-2007 01:54 AM

Hi EC, I got to the stage where I knew I needed help enough to get over my prejudice against AA and just go to the meetings and listen, I found it to be a great comfort in the early weeks when I was still very foggy.
I still enjoy it now I am 4 months sober.

It seems you know action is needed

Trying to cut alchohol down and out since 7/6/07
...trying to think ourselves well and use willpower alone doesnt usually work, taking positive action does (IMO).

Good luck. :)

Pilgrim 11-01-2007 02:22 AM

Hi EC,

Let us know how you get on ok?

Sending prayers out to you now.

Steph (alcoholic)

barb dwyer 11-01-2007 02:44 AM

ps -

'Under The influence' - is a major book for you right now.

Snopup 11-01-2007 03:25 PM

EC-
Don't be discouraged about responses. If you post, we will respond. May not always be what you want to hear, nor as frequently as you would like, but...

Empty Cartridge 11-01-2007 05:49 PM

It's OK. It's theraputic for me even if no one responds.

I went to the Doc today. He said that I caught it in a fairly early stage, and that most people that seek medical help are usually forced. He was very encouraging and said that I was making "some strong decisions and doing it the right way." That made me very happy and confident. (I also talked to him about quitting smoking when I get this knocked.)

He prescribed Lorazepam for the sleeping, and for the withdrawls. He also told me to get a powerful multivitamin and a bunch of Boost drinks. He said that would keep me nourished until my appetite came back.

He also took a blood test and is getting back to me Monday at the latest with results. He did say my liver was enlarged, but not too terribly bad.

Good thing is he said that I have less of a chance of getting the extremely severe withdrawl problems like hallucinations or seizures since almost all of my drinking was beer. He said most of those problems come from people that drink a lot of hard alcohol very quickly.

parentrecovers 11-01-2007 05:55 PM

i'm glad the visit to the doc was productive and positive. it's good to get all the help you can get, and it sounds like you are doing just that. i'll be anxious to hear how your meeting goes...

keep posting, ec - we're listenin' and sending support, k

barb dwyer 11-01-2007 11:45 PM

*whew*

so!

when's the meeting?

Empty Cartridge 11-02-2007 08:01 AM

Yaya me! I slept last night! Woohoo!

Day one is finished!

My meeting is tonight at 6:00 MST. Now I get to walk out the door and go have a productive work day.

whittenboy 11-02-2007 09:09 AM

Good for you EC

we stand in front of an obstacle and say damn, Once we get to the other side we look back and shake our heads and smile. Keep going!

Once you feel better get out and get moving. My work involves a lot of walking. It helps me.:c011:

Empty Cartridge 11-02-2007 08:35 PM

Well...

I went to the church for my AA meeting. I wandered every hallway, and there was no meeting. I found the church calendar on the bulletin board, and it was scheduled. The only thing going on was a youth dance in the basement.

I was actually looking forward to it. Oh well, I'll find another one.

Instead, I went to the cathedral and just sat by myself for twenty minutes ago and did a little praying.

Then I went to the movies. When the show was finished, I turned back on my phone with two voicemails and four text messages wondering why I wasn't out at the bar with my friends.

That made me a little anxious, so I took a half-dose of my medication and came home.

whittenboy 11-02-2007 09:42 PM

NOW WERE TALKING !
Way to go!:DA

discoveringme 11-02-2007 10:52 PM

Good for you EC!!!!! You can be very proud of yourself!! Keep posting

barb dwyer 11-02-2007 11:09 PM

way to go, EC !

discovering =- kickin avatar! I love it!

Empty Cartridge 11-03-2007 10:30 PM

Well, well, well.

Look who was up at 8:00 AM on a Saturday, worked for four hours, stayed home, cooked dinner, walked the dog, turned his phone off at 6:00 PM, and watched football with a jug of water and a plate of fresh sliced fruit. After football was up, went on the porch with a book and a cup of hot chocolate, and am calling it a night.

No medication, no withdrawl symptoms (except for the occasional wandering thought).

That dude would be....MEEEEEE!

tellus 11-03-2007 10:32 PM

EC, that's so awesome! You're an inspiration.

whittenboy 11-04-2007 07:32 AM

Good for you!:a122:

Empty Cartridge 11-05-2007 12:46 PM

I just got the blood test results.

My bone marrow cells are too large, which was expected. Continue the excellerated vitamins.

My Protein levels should be about 3-4 times higher. He said that my protein level is about the level he would expect from a 90 pound woman. (I am a 185 pound male) :eek5: I have too keep up the excellerated nutrients for a minimum of six weeks, along with a high-protein diet to get back to normal.

Liver - enzymes are elevated, but there is no liver malfuntion. Basically, my liver has raised the white flag. Should be back to normal in a month, with continued program.

He said the kidneys were normal :bounce. He said the pain is most likely "flank muscle pain" from protein being pulled from the muscles. He said that my protein deficiency has probably forced my body to pull protein from my muscles for the last three months, and if I had waited any longer, even a few weeks, I could have been in serious trouble.

With no drinking, improved nutrition, and exercise, my body should be fully recovered by Jan. 31.

You guys' encouragement, along with the support of my friend, may have saved my life. THANK YOU!

whittenboy 11-08-2007 12:25 PM

Rock on my friend!
:MusBand:

Empty Cartridge 11-10-2007 09:55 AM

Well, today I face my biggest challenge yet. My college fotball team (Texas Tech) plays a big game today. I am the head of our unofficial alumni group, and we are all meeting at our regular pub. Today would normally be an all-day drinkfest, and I would stumble through my door at about 1:00 AM tonight after a couple of hundred dollars spent, and almost no memory of the game itself.

I leave here in about two hours. This is when the questions are probably going to come from my friends: "where have you been? want a beer? no seriously, it's on me...just grab one out of our bucket. Touchdown! Shots!"

I go into the test not with fear, but with optimism. I am going to take a pre-emptive med, order my club soda, and only act like a drunk idiot instead of being one.

Go Tech!...and Go Me!

BTW: the "flank muscle pain" is still around. Ugh, I'll be glad when that is gone. I slept for only eight hours last night, so I think my body clock is starting to get used to the lack of booze.

Pilgrim 11-10-2007 12:32 PM

Hi EC. All the best for today and I am pleased you are feeling optimistic.

In my experience though, and speaking as an alcoholic, not a heavy drinker, optimism wasn't enough for me. I had no mental defence against picking up my first drink.

It's cunning baffling and powerful so watch you back hun. We are with you all the way!