SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Should I go? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/123917-should-i-go.html)

xXBacktoBlackXx 05-18-2007 07:59 PM

Should I go?

A lot of my friends are graduating on Sunday and the trip would be 3 hours away for me to drive. I want to go as a final good-bye, since we'll be spread out throughout the country after this. I was originally going to be graduating on this date, but I have to take summer classes and one class in the fall (though I won't be going to that school again because of the cost).

It would be better for me to drive up on Saturday and spend the night as it's more convenient. I can then stay with a friend in the dorms. However, everyone always goes out on Saturday nights. I've told my friends that I've stopped drinking but I don't really know if that will be...respected (I'm not sure if that's the right word) since it'll be all of our last nights together. Have you ever noticed that whenever there's a "last night" to be had with a group of friends, things always get crazy? During the semester, I used to go out with everyone on Fridays and Saturdays. Saturday was our karaoke night at the bar. I'm sure everyone will want to go again but the last time I tried that during sobriety, I ****** up. The next week, I did go and didn't drink but I had a miserable time. I just know everyone is gonna want to get crazy. What should I do?

nogard 05-18-2007 08:08 PM

You asked so; don't go or go briefly on the Sunday, but given what you have said I would not go. I am sure you will get lots of different opinions but do what is best for your recovery. For me its always a 'no-brainer'

Kevin

GlassPrisoner 05-18-2007 08:52 PM

Of you go to support them, I'd advise bringing someone, preferably in the program. Bring your own car, and have an exit strategy.

Otherwise, send them a nice card, give them a phone call, and wish them well.

It's really up to you. If you think it will threaten your sobriety, don't go. Graduation is a milestone , but it's not as important as someones life.

CarolD 05-18-2007 10:18 PM

It is my experience that each part of our lives
has it's own friends
We touch and share goals and interest.... then move on.

You have already changed moved forward...:cheer

Keep the memories and stay sober by letting them go.

Anna 05-19-2007 12:21 AM

I totally agree with all the above.

That would not be something I would do, or would go to for just a short time. Making those kinds of changes in sobriety makes things so much easier.

weatherfreak 05-19-2007 12:24 AM

Can you drive up on sat and get a cheap hotel room for the night, do a quick cameo on sunday for graduation then drive home Sunday? Just a thought.

Spiritual Seeker 05-19-2007 12:25 AM

To stay sober often you have to change everything about your life. You are worried about going listen to your inner voice. It sounds like you know sober is the priority.
Don't let your addictive mind lead you in the wrong direction. This too will pass.

xXBacktoBlackXx 05-19-2007 12:49 AM

Forget it. I'm not going. I just used. ****.

livefree 05-19-2007 01:35 AM

Hey, xX.
You OK? PM me if you want to talk. Try not to get too down on yourself.

xXBacktoBlackXx 05-19-2007 01:45 AM

Livefree, I'm doing okay I'm just dissapointed in myself. I was on SR so I wouldn't do anything but then I went to bed and lay there feeling really down. But I will be fine. I'm just dissapointed. I am going to have this thread deleted tomorrow but thanks for the concern.

cyberwolf 05-19-2007 01:54 AM

Hi There,

I don't really have any advice for you except you cant change what has happened so don't give yourself too much of a hard time. You can't go back and not use what already has been used (does that make sense) all you can do is decide what you will do with tomorrow, in fact not even tomorrow, what you will do the next moment of your life, as who knows what tomorrow will bring.

I don't know if I would have post/thread deleted keep it as a reminder of how you felt? And the support and concern people have for you.

Take care of yourself

hugs

xXBacktoBlackXx 05-19-2007 02:05 AM

Thank you. You're right. I can't change this. If this post will be a reminder, then I might as well add how stupid it was to do this when I have to help my Dad move things out of his office later today. And he is getting up soon so I'm hoping he doesn't realize I'm in a state. Well, thank you and I am just going to try again.

cyberwolf 05-19-2007 02:12 AM

Thats the attitude. Go for it. IHopefully this will make you laugh or at least smile, I put bacon into grill aboiout 10/15 minutes ago and wondered why I couldnt hear/smell it coooking....I suppose it would help if I had switched the grill on. lol

Don't worry about your dad, I expect we all worry far too much about what others might think and se remember you think you look bad because YOU KNOW you used he doesn't so you could have just had a rough night etc if you dont want tobe or cant be honest with him

Good luck, you will be fine (easy for me to say eh!!)

hugs

Alive 05-19-2007 02:54 AM

there's nothing we can do about the past, All you can is change the future!, my friend.You have that power in you.

Karim

livefree 05-19-2007 04:42 AM

And remember, just because you used, doesn't mean you have to keep using.

parentrecovers 05-19-2007 06:00 AM

hugs, btb. don't give up. blessings, k

xXBacktoBlackXx 05-19-2007 06:05 AM

Thanks everyone. I feel like complete ****. This is a definite reminder to never do this again. I'm anxious, I can't sleep, and I haven't slept at all last night. My heart is pounding so hard. I hate this feeling.

ETA. I just flushed the rest of that bottle of pills down the toilet. I have to do it when I'm feeling this ****** or else I somehow forget how this inevitably makes me feel. I can't stand one more day like this!

TINLIZZY 05-19-2007 12:36 PM

BTB -

Stay strong. I just had a slip, and I have been beating myself over the head for a week. I know exactly how you feel - my problems/anxiety/lonliness/ager did not go away - they just got worse. To top it all off, I've spent the past week "coming clean" to all 6 AA groups and an outpatient group. It's been very hard!

On the bright side, my resolve to not drink again has strengthened considerably!

Great job on dumping the pills!!

TinLizzy

xXBacktoBlackXx 05-19-2007 12:39 PM

Thanks. Ugh, yes I just feel worse and now I am paranoid about things I did even though I don't think I did any of them.