SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   i am bad (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/121568-i-am-bad.html)

Woomby 04-22-2007 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by nolongerdrunk (Post 1300869)
I thought I could just drink in moderation and slowly slipped back into old habits.

That has been my pattern too, for the past 4.5 years.

Originally Posted by nolongerdrunk (Post 1300869)
Something good WILL come out of this.

Damn straight something good will come from it! I'm psyched too!

I hope I still feel this enthusiasm when I wake up tomorrow and I'm not hungover... I think I might just be able to do it having this forum to read back on and remind myself just how horrible the weekend really was.

Rowan 04-22-2007 07:29 AM

I think a spa experience is a GREAT idea for the bach. party. And your friend? She might be disappointed, but this is about what's good for YOU. She'll back you 100% if she's a true friend.

Rusty Zipper 04-22-2007 06:21 PM

NLD...

I wish I could go back and apologize to those kids for letting them see me like that.
perhaps... someday you can go back... and show them your no longer that person...

that NLD, can only happen in recovery...

good wishes NLD...

xxoo, zip

nolongerdrunk 04-30-2007 03:38 PM

I just wanted to pop my head in and say... yay for 10 days sober! Last weekend was hard... I went to my hometown and visited family and friends. My dad offered me beer, but I said no thanks. My friend wanted to go out, but we went for coffee instead. I also went to a Latin food fair and to a movie. Also several walks with my dad and sister. It was a good weekend. And it seemed to last forever, in a good way. Time seems to slip away so quickly when I'm drinking or hungover. I had time to just relax. Still didn't do all the grading I needed to do or finish my term paper, but I enjoyed myself.

Strength to everyone who needs it!!!

One thing I have been thinking about a little bit... everyone is asking me if this is a permanent change. I say, "I hope so," when I know I should be saying "HELL YES!" I am worrying that my wedding won't be fun if everyone else is drinking but me. :(

Rowan 04-30-2007 03:45 PM

Woo hoo well done on the 10 days! I've been thinking of you and am so glad you made it back to us.

Remember the girl you talked about who threw up on her wedding dress?

It's natural for you to be questioning this whole sobriety thing, especially in light of a big celebration such as your own wedding, and wanting to have a fantastic time. It sounds like your mother and your fiance are your biggest allies - lean on them and share your fears about this. Focus on everything you WILL have that day. The only thing that's off-limits is a couple of cocktails.

What you are feeling is completely normal - and you're doing so well. Please hang in there and stay with us.

Rowan

nolongerdrunk 04-30-2007 03:52 PM

You are right, Rowan. I will have so many great things that day... family, friends, and the most important thing... the man that I love. And throwing up on my wedding dress doesn't sound very fun! As for the bach party, I think I am going to have a girly sleepover, watch Sex and the City maybe, and make treats. Maybe we could even make virgin daquiris or something! I have to say, all of my friends have been super supportive of me. Even the one friend I was worried about was relieved that we will lay off drinking and do more productive things together.

Rowan 04-30-2007 03:54 PM

You read my mind - I was thinking of suggesting virgin drinky's with the girls.
glad your friends are being so supportive of you. You'll have a fantastic time.
Focus on the postive, and I hope you keep visiting here.

nolongerdrunk 04-30-2007 03:59 PM

I most definitely will keep visiting here! Thank you so much for your support!!

xXBacktoBlackXx 04-30-2007 08:30 PM

Hey NLD. I just wanted to tell you that I truly understand your position. I'm so happy that you found this place! The girly weekend with virgin drinks sounds like a lot of fun.

I have done so many embarrassing things while drunk. I don't even know where to begin. I do relate to your feelings. =( But, with sobriety, we will no longer have to worry about continuing down the path of waking up and wondering what the hell we did the night before.

parentrecovers 05-01-2007 06:30 AM

ten days is great, nolonger. don't worry about your wedding yet - one day at a time.

blessings, k

Tazman53 05-01-2007 06:52 AM

Congrats on the 10 days NLD, the longer you do not drink the better things will get and you will start to notice that the majority of the world does not drink and those that do only have 1 or 2 every once in a while.

indigo 05-01-2007 07:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome as you can see we have a wonderful caring family here who will not judge you our aim is to help each other. I look forward to seeing you posting.

nolongerdrunk 06-09-2007 03:44 PM

Well, I thought I'd come back here to celebrate my 7 weeks of sobriety. It's been tough at times, but I've made it through. (I know I have a long way to go.) Last night I even went to a bar and had pop while my friends and fiancee drank. It was kind of nice to know that I was clear-headed and didn't have to worry about saying stupid things or doing things I'd regret.

I just want to say to anyone that is feeling down today... today is a new day. If I can be sober for 7 weeks after about 8 years of getting bombed every weekend, anyone can do this. You just have to believe in yourself. Thank you for your support, everyone. This is a great place.

Rusty Zipper 06-09-2007 06:15 PM

good for you nld...

7 weeks is a great beginning... the work one puts into early recovery, paves that road for the rest of ones life...

sugestion time nld... stay the hell oud'a the bars... lol... temptation... http://www.kampfkunst-board.info/for...ilies2/daz.gif

good wishes nld...

xxoo, rz

stone 06-09-2007 07:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
7 weeks! That is awesome! You got some great replys in this thread too, I must have missed it first time around.
Give yourself a pat on the back and watch out for the 'I bet I can drink like a normal person now' thought that might pop in your head.

I think 7 weeks needs a.....

livefree 06-09-2007 10:14 PM

Sending you a big hug, nolongerdrunk.

I still have trouble admitting to myself some of the things I did when I was drunk... like, I'll admit to myself that I did them, but I definitely don't like thinking about them! That took a lot of courage for you to come on here and post about your drunken experience. Props to you!

Others have said this, but it's very important... so, let me reitterate: YOU ARE NOT BAD!!!!!

Also, that's so cool that you're getting married! Just tonight I was talking with a sober friend about how I don't want to think about not drinking at my wedding ... (but, wait a second, I don't even have a boyfriend right now! ...one day at a time!) I think I will share your "throwing up on her wedding dress" story with my friend... if I drank at my wedding, that would definitely be me.

Take Rowan's advice... actions speak louder than words. I had to show that I was serious about sobriety because I'd also talked the talk but not walked the walk before.

You can do it=) Be kind to yourself.

nolongerdrunk 06-10-2007 07:04 AM

Thanks, everyone!

I appreciate your suggestion... Rusty Zipper. I was feeling strong that night, but I need to realize I won't always be feeling that way. Kind of like keeping bad food out of the house when you're on a diet, I need to avoid bars in case I start feeling weak.
It was nice to spend time with my friends instead of hiding at home, though.

Stone - yes, I definitely need to avoid that kind of thinking. It has crossed my mind that someday I might be able to just have a few, but then I think, what's the point? I don't drink for the taste of it, I drink to get wasted. That will never change. I am a very compulsive person... if some is good, more is better.

Livefree- I am feeling less bad every day. :) It is hard to think about that night (and many other horrible nights), but I need to come back to it every now and then to realize why I'm doing this.

Thanks for being here, everyone. I know I don't come here every day, but it's great to have a solid place of support to touch on every once in a while.

Rusty Zipper 06-10-2007 06:36 PM

nld... please... way to formal...

rz will be ok... lol