SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   One Year and Under Club Part 63 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/442211-one-year-under-club-part-63-a.html)

jimmyJlover 10-31-2019 05:56 PM

1 year ago tonight I took my last drink. I remember exactly how I felt...awful, scared, anxious, hurt, etc...

It's been 1 year.

I'm proud, but humble. I'll continue another 24hr promise, stay connected, and learn everyday. It's not always sunshine and rainbows, but it's pretty good I think.

I did something today that was way out of my comfort zone, but needed to be done. And that is telling some folks I've been alcohol free for 1 year. I just wanted to clear the air. It felt good.

Stronger2017 10-31-2019 07:58 PM

Really well done, Jimmy. Tremendous achievement.

I’m still trooping along sober - no longer an official Undie but I do like this thread!

Keep making it happen everyone🙂

Mags1 10-31-2019 11:48 PM

Jimmy Congratulations onyour year, a marvellous achievement. :c011:

Purplrks3647 11-01-2019 01:29 AM

:a122: Congrats JJ on your first year! Happy Soberversary! :bc8

stargazer016 11-01-2019 07:13 AM

Congrats on a year Jimmy! That's a huge accomplishment!

tootsl1 11-01-2019 01:05 PM

Congratulations Jimmy on your first Soberversary!! :You_Rock_
Brilliant, well done JJ, you are awesome mate.

Mags1 11-02-2019 02:54 AM

Hiya Unders

Have a good weekend :)

ManInTheArena 11-02-2019 12:34 PM

Awesome job, Jimmy. And nice to "clear the air" about it too - very solid.

Enjoy the weekend unders :)

Rose335 11-03-2019 06:44 AM

Jimmy! - Huge, huge congratulations. A whole year. That is some achievement. Heading towards 5 months mark myself so very much looking forward to achieving half a year by Christmas. And 'clearing the air' sounds like an extra bonus. I've also made it clear to some peole that I'm no longer a drinker.

Hi Unders - hope everyone is having a good weekend. Mine has been a bit hectic and just a touch unrelaxing, until now. The weather has been total rubbish and I've been out with a pushchair quite a lot so I've also spent a good bit of time getting very wet. Hey ho. All of it sober, of course, so that's OK. Hope we all have a good week ahead of us.

tootsl1 11-07-2019 01:12 AM

I am going through some family issues just now, mad is end stage congestive heart failure and not expected to live longer than a few weeks. I am so glad that I am dealing with this situation sober so that I can be fully present emotionally to support my mum as she deals.

Purplrks3647 11-07-2019 01:30 AM

(((Toots))) So sorry to hear that.....sending hugs to you and your family. :hug: We're here with ya! :grouphug:

Dee74 11-07-2019 01:34 AM

again, best wishes, Toots :hug:

D

stargazer016 11-07-2019 05:51 AM

Sorry to hear Toots. My thoughts are with you during this difficult time.

Canadian Koala 11-07-2019 06:00 AM

I send you my best koala vibes Toots - courage! :grouphug:

Rose335 11-07-2019 02:22 PM

toots - I am so very sorry to hear your news. The only possible positive thing I can think to say is how fantastic for your mum that she can call on an entirely sober you for support and love. That's huge.

tootsl1 11-07-2019 11:17 PM

Rose, that is exactly what I mean. If I had been actively drinking I would have been more burden than help to her, and would still have been carrying my own issues into the hospital. Now I am able to lay my emotions to one side, to be there to try to ease my dads fears, and to help mum as she prepares for life after. It could be days or weeks yet but we don't feel he will come out of hospital.
I know there are many going through similar or worse, and I don't talk about the situation here to Ellie it sympathy, I mention it only to really impress on you all how drinking affects not just us, but our loved ones who wish to lean on us in times of need. Sobriety gives us the strength to lend to them. And it is a wonderful feeling knowing that you can be there wholly for someone you love who is hurting.
When we stop drinking, and come through recovery into living a sober life, we are so much less self absorbed. It is no longer about where we can get our next drink, how we can hide our drinking, how we focus 24/7 on drinking. Without that addictive thinking we are able to be more aware of, and more present for, those who should be able to rely on us.

Rose335 11-08-2019 02:13 AM

toots - you are absolutely right. It is not ever only about us. It colours every aspect of our life but for our friends and family too even if we keep it a secret. A fantastic side side effect of not drinking is the enormous relief I (we) get from not having to engage in endless social subterfuge. I can't count the number of times I sat with others, in ordinary pleasant social settings, working out what excuse I could use to leave quickly so I could get home and do some proper, 'relaxed' drinking. So glad that's a thing of then past, where it shall remain.

ManInTheArena 11-08-2019 08:50 AM

Toots, I'm very sorry to hear about your news.

While I really enjoy the good days when I'm sober, it's during the tough times that I'm most thankful. I'm sure you get that.

tootsl1 11-08-2019 09:17 AM

MITA I truly do :)

Mags1 11-08-2019 09:49 PM

Toots, I’m sorry to hear about your dad. :hug:
I’m pleased you’re sober too love. Dealing with life sober is so much better than all the baggage of the drunk we once were.

Thinking of you and your family toots. Sending love and hugs. xx