SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of February 2019 Support Thread Pt 1 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/435927-class-february-2019-support-thread-pt-1-a.html)

listae 02-06-2019 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by AwkwardKitty (Post 7117702)
I also just wanted to say that i think this time feels different because instead of focusing on a negative/ stopping something i am focusing on wellbeing / self care / healing, so it feels like gaining something. I think shifts like that can have a positive affect, like its better to aim for a positive than try to avoid a negative?

This is a great strategy and perspective on sobriety!

SIB 02-06-2019 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by AwkwardKitty (Post 7117702)
I also just wanted to say that i think this time feels different because instead of focusing on a negative/ stopping something i am focusing on wellbeing / self care / healing, so it feels like gaining something. I think shifts like that can have a positive affect, like its better to aim for a positive than try to avoid a negative?

For me this is the only way to approach it and accomplish it

listae 02-06-2019 03:51 PM

Welcome Sober369! You're in good company!

Dee74 02-06-2019 06:51 PM

Welcome sober369 :)

D

Canuck76 02-06-2019 07:23 PM

Finally slept. About 9 hours straight. I am still exhausted and should be able to sleep again in a few hours. What a miserable week. All my acute withdrawal symptoms seem to have dissipated, however, 6 days is much longer than previous detoxes. Kindling is really start to prove itself.

Be123 02-07-2019 12:37 AM

Hi Canuck. You slept! Result...let’s hope that becomes a pattern. I did 11 hours last night (a bit of help from medication but still pretty good).

That video I posted, I’d recommend people look at it. I’ve been trying to get sober for over six months and although still struggling with it the info I have learned - as well as the techniques and life style changes I am making - really help.

I am on day four but I don’t like counting days as I am so determined to never ever drink that it doesn’t matter if it’s day one or day 1000. But it’s useful to let other people know what stage I’m at.

Today I make the decision to not drink, even if my arse falls off (watch the video 😂😂 ).

Sober369 02-07-2019 05:05 AM

I loved the video, too. I will not drink today, even if my arse falls off!
I am beginning today to work on my 'massive effort' plan. I'm going to include AA, even though I've failed there many times, because I need the face to face support, too. But a difference is that I am not expecting them to heal me or even purposefully help me. I think I expected magic from AA before. I have learned that I am responsible for my own recovery. That doesn't mean I have to do it alone, just that I am responsible for it.
And I will be reading here, watching Be123's video and reading on the site I mentioned, posting here, and before I leave for home tonight I will have a period of meditation and prayer, and will log on here on my phone.
The trip home is my biggest trigger.
I hope everyone has a wonderful sober day. I will be thinking of all of you!
BTW, please call me Karen instead of Sober, if you don't mind.

Linners820 02-07-2019 05:32 AM

Glad you got some sleep, Canuck. My sleep has been weird lately, whether I drink or not. Been noticing that I seem to have way less tolerance for caffeine than I used to. I'm not a huge coffee drinker, but I like to have a cup or two in the morning and sometimes grab an iced latte in the afternoon. Even that relatively small amount seems to be causing me problems now. Last night, I started to fall asleep on the couch, so I went to bed, but once there just couldn't drift off. Broken sleep all night. Part of my plan is switching to half-caf and decaf for now.

So it's day 3 today. Danger time for me! I've been feeling ok, but a bit short-fused. I had a situation yesterday where I bit someone's head off and knew immediately I could have handled it better instead of being so reactionary. Ugh.

Anyway, today I am planning to continue working on my basement a bit, doing some healthy meal prep, and go to my counseling appointment. What are you all doing today?

Linners820 02-07-2019 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by AwkwardKitty (Post 7117697)
Hi All, I hope everyone is keeping on keeping on.
day 4 no booze / day 3 no cigs. Expected mpre drink craves today but although ive been thinkinf about drink a lot its not been in a craving way. I feel weird, like ive lost motivation to drink or smoke which has never happened before! And im not naive enough to think thats it ive cracked it but like others have said, i think im a bit sick and tired of it all, i feel calmer than i have for a while. I always remember dee and others stressing the importance of a plan and doing things differently so ive really tried.

things I'm doing:
taking multivitamin and omega 3 each morning
doing a bullet journal to track progress each eve
doing a gratitude journal each eve
getting up early even after broken sleep
packing nutritious snack box for work
Having decaff drinks instead of caffeine
Drinking lots of water

i need to try and fit in meditation and am planning some exercise at the weekend, maybe a long nature walk.

hope everyone else is well xx

Hi Kitty. I'm also starting to do a few of those things--committing to taking my vitamins and medications regularly, lowering caffeine, and journaling. The journaling is the hard one for me, cuz I tend to only want to write when I'm sad or depressed. But it's a good habit to get into I think no matter how you feel. What does your bullet point journal entail?

Be123 02-07-2019 08:35 AM

I've found a great way to surf those cravings...rang my bank a minute ago. Including being on hold, them putting the phone down on me, them promising to ring back, and my third attempt, it has taken me 197 minutes. Thats way longer than a craving lasts...

(There was a time when I would have seen this as an excuse to drink. "All that frustration!" But now I choose to look on the funny/positive side :headbange )

Canuck76 02-07-2019 12:23 PM

I am going back on antidepressants. Anxiety/depression is eating me up. I just have to stay sober so they work. I had 6 month's sobriety a couple years ago and the meds worked well.

canguy 02-07-2019 02:01 PM

Morning class,

Friday morning here.....Friday afternoon and into the weekend always a difficult moment here. But can just try and keep busy, maybe even just distracted, and surf through it.

Good you finally got some sleep Canuck....6 months is good going.
Be....that's one of the most unusual strategies for urge surfing I've ever come across on here, lol.

Ok......have a good day everybody. Will check back later.....

AwkwardKitty 02-07-2019 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Linners820 (Post 7118185)
Hi Kitty. I'm also starting to do a few of those things--committing to taking my vitamins and medications regularly, lowering caffeine, and journaling. The journaling is the hard one for me, cuz I tend to only want to write when I'm sad or depressed. But it's a good habit to get into I think no matter how you feel. What does your bullet point journal entail?

i agree, i write when i'm down!i have a goals journal so i write down goals i want to meet, 5 steps to work towards my goal that week and then a daily ticklist to tick off if i do the steps. So one of my goals is to lose weight and the steps this week are to follow my meal plan, walk to work, write my food down etc and i tick them off each day. I also tick each day i dont drink. There is something really satisfying about tracking each day! Pinterest has awesome bullet journal ideas and free templates you can print!

Its weird the impact small changes like vitamins and water can make. Its making the best effort to be well in every way, to help minimise the cravings impact. I feel a lot better. I feel like i have loooads more time! Drinking and smoking takes up so much time and headspace!!

SIB 02-07-2019 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by AwkwardKitty (Post 7118562)
i agree, i write when i'm down!i have a goals journal so i write down goals i want to meet, 5 steps to work towards my goal that week and then a daily ticklist to tick off if i do the steps. So one of my goals is to lose weight and the steps this week are to follow my meal plan, walk to work, write my food down etc and i tick them off each day. I also tick each day i dont drink. There is something really satisfying about tracking each day! Pinterest has awesome bullet journal ideas and free templates you can print!

Its weird the impact small changes like vitamins and water can make. Its making the best effort to be well in every way, to help minimise the cravings impact. I feel a lot better. I feel like i have loooads more time! Drinking and smoking takes up so much time and headspace!!

Writing and tracking is key for me as well. I have written back all the way to 2002, and then for each year I write where I worked, lived, dated etc all the way until now in yearly blurbs. It really shows you where things went wrong and when times were good, helps to avoid or aim going forward.

I also have a sheet of paper on my wall where I mark the days off, extremely satisfying.

AwkwardKitty 02-07-2019 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by SIB (Post 7118578)
Writing and tracking is key for me as well. I have written back all the way to 2002, and then for each year I write where I worked, lived, dated etc all the way until now in yearly blurbs. It really shows you where things went wrong and when times were good, helps to avoid or aim going forward.

I also have a sheet of paper on my wall where I mark the days off, extremely satisfying.

Love the yearly blurb idea! I saw a lovely diary that has space for one sentence a day for 5 years, i love things you can look back on and see your journey (also Im a teensy bit obsessed with stationery lol)

just got into bed, its midnight here. Havent been able to doze off too well this week and crazy broken dreams but am just lying here not trying too hard to sleep, mindfully appreciating being warm and cosy and enjoying the rest. I feel Im making a really good go of it this time x

SIB 02-07-2019 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by AwkwardKitty (Post 7118588)
Love the yearly blurb idea! I saw a lovely diary that has space for one sentence a day for 5 years, i love things you can look back on and see your journey (also Im a teensy bit obsessed with stationery lol)

just got into bed, its midnight here. Havent been able to doze off too well this week and crazy broken dreams but am just lying here not trying too hard to sleep, mindfully appreciating being warm and cosy and enjoying the rest. I feel Im making a really good go of it this time x

Yes this sober journey has me on a sleep schedule of 8pm to 4am but it has been creeping to 9pm to 5am, so I am just about ready to turn in as well. I LOVE waking up that early refreshed and making coffee. Has to be my favorite part of the day by far.

Sober369 02-07-2019 05:28 PM

I had a very long day 2. I am feeling really tired and depressed. It's nice reading all your hopeful, healthy living posts. It reminds me where I can be.
Have a nice sober night everyone.

Dee74 02-07-2019 06:24 PM

You can do this Karen :)

D

listae 02-07-2019 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sober369 (Post 7118167)
I loved the video, too. I will not drink today, even if my arse falls off!

I think this statement tops my list of favorite SR posts. YES! I too "will not drink today, even if my arse falls off!"

Canuck: I'm SOO HAPPY that you got a good night's rest. It's worth it.

Glad to hear of other sober days too in "Freedom February."

Addy47 02-07-2019 08:22 PM

I’m in. Just joined. My sobriety date is February 5. I really want to stay sober...more than anything!