SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of February 2019 Support Thread Pt 1 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/435927-class-february-2019-support-thread-pt-1-a.html)

canguy 02-14-2019 02:58 PM

Hang in there FoieGras.
Just keep going for the next hour and you'll be ok.

trudgingagain 02-14-2019 03:04 PM

Welcome GooseMoose and pupper! As for family,.....whaat's that saying, "You can chose your friends, but not your family"/'...BUT THEN THERE IS ALSO:"Being family is not determined by blood, but by behavior"....

WhoDey 02-14-2019 03:49 PM

Hi all. I haven’t been posting much but I’m trying to keep up with the posts. Hopefully things will settle down for me soon and I’ll have more time to post. Day 8 is almost in the books and I’m feeling good. It’s so nice to not worry about having enough alcohol on hand to make it through the evening or weekend. Today was trash day and I didn’t worry about hiding bottles in the recycling bin so that my heavy consumption wouldn’t be so obvious. Freedom!

Liveher 02-14-2019 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by FoieGras (Post 7124482)
Keep moving forward!

For some reason I’m really craving right now. Probably because in the past when I was sick, a half dozen beers would make me feel “better” (read oblivious).

I can relate FG... I used to do that too. You can muscle this craving. I bet if you made some tea with honey it might feel good too. Did you get through it?

Liveher 02-14-2019 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by trudgingagain (Post 7124492)
Welcome GooseMoose and pupper! As for family,.....whaat's that saying, "You can chose your friends, but not your family"/'...BUT THEN THERE IS ALSO:"Being family is not determined by blood, but by behavior"....

love that, trudging! Ain’t that the truth!!

FoieGras 02-14-2019 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Liveher (Post 7124588)

I can relate FG... I used to do that too. You can muscle this craving. I bet if you made some tea with honey it might feel good too. Did you get through it?

Yes I did. Thanks guys for the support. :)

Liveher 02-14-2019 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by WhoDey (Post 7119931)
I’m currently reading “This Naked Mind” by Annie Grace. So far I’m finding it very enlightening. When I previously quit, I harbored a wish that I could be a normal drinker. I thought the problem was me. Wouldn’t it be great to enjoy the occasional drink? Well, we know how that ended. “This Naked Mind” strives to remove any desire to drink by shining a light on the addictive unhealthy nature of alcohol. If you see alcohol as a poison, even drinking in moderation loses its allure. So far it’s been a great read.

Good luck today everyone!

WhoDey-I started following Annie Grace as well. I haven’t read the book but I’m doing an Intensive of hers. She definitely has done a load of research and there’s some very interesting things I’d never known.

Sober81 02-14-2019 07:09 PM

Hi guy, i'm on Day 27 and doing good.

If anyone has experience with benzo withdrawals and doesn't mind answering questions could you please pm me

Addy47 02-14-2019 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by pupper (Post 7124434)
That is exactly me! I could have a "grown up " dinner and enjoy 3 glasses of something over the course of the meal if I was with a normal drinker, but with someone who drinks more heavily, I would go drink-for-drink until I was (sometimes literally) on the floor. I thought that my "grown up" dinners meant I could control it. As a podcast I just started listening to (Recovery Elevator) says, pay attention to the similarities, not the differences. I'm here! I know it will get harder as I get closer to and pass that 2-week mark (I don't think I've done more than 2 weeks without a drink before). Will start looking for a meeting this weekend. Thank you Addy47 & FoieGras for the welcome! Solidarity & strength to everyone on here.

Yep! Me too! I was literally a “power drinker”! Lol. I would drink like 10-12 drinks in 3-4 hours and like you said “fall on the floor”. I will never be a normal drinker again. But was I ever?

Addy47 02-14-2019 07:23 PM

Glad you got through your craving Foie! Any thing trigger it?

AwkwardKitty: tomorrow is a new day. We all only have today anyway.

See you all tomorrow!

Dee74 02-14-2019 07:36 PM

For anyone new to monthly 'class' theads...

we usually close a thread at about 500 posts - stops things getting too unwieldy.

fear not tho - we immediately open a part 2 :)

join us here:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ad-pt-2-a.html

D