SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of October 2018 Part 1 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/432816-class-october-2018-part-1-a.html)

Wood4trees2018 10-20-2018 12:09 AM

Nice work Order whenever I come that close to be even switching the light on to go and would would be game over for me the decision would have been made.

Well done for kicking the thoughts into touch will help build more strength for future challenges.

Thanks for the tips Hawk and as Fishy says let’s kick the weekend AV out. Working out what to do today not sure housework is high on my list!!! Thinking about joining a gym, never been a big gym fan hmmmm.

Kaily 10-20-2018 12:26 AM

Morning everyone and thanks so much to all that have mentioned and offered support to me in their posts regarding the medication I have started.

I am definitely finding my cravings are less intense and that the endless battle between myself and my AV seems to be more of a thought of drinking than the absolute urgency I usually feel which I just can't control. Early days.

Wood4trees you mentioned about weekends, have you thought of joining Meetup? There are walking groups, or lots of other groups from cinema visits, fine dining to weekends away climbing mountains! They are very welcoming. I have been on a few walks in the past and met all kinds of people, been to some lovely places and got home comfortably tired. When I am able I will be attending again if for nothing else but the company.

Hope you all have a good weekend.

Wood4trees2018 10-20-2018 01:48 AM

Thanks for that Kaily. Checked out meet-up there’s a whole other world out there that I didn’t know existed. Need to snap myself out of my comfort zone have lived me myself and I for a long time!

Good luck with the weekend we can do it

Spiritman 10-20-2018 09:22 AM

Good Morning,
Want to check in with you all this Saturday morning Oct 20th on Day 20. Had a bit of a craving Friday night but had Hot tea with Honey instead. The traditional cocktail hour of late afternoon early evenings at twilight and on weekends seems to be when my AV is at its best. So grateful I am at least aware of that. I hope everyone here can have the joy of a sober weekend
Thank you!

RUL23 10-20-2018 11:38 AM

Checking in on day 14. So far so good. Trying to stay busy....

whats your fav healthy foods to eat in early recovery?

sydneyman 10-20-2018 02:45 PM

Day 18 . just checking in before heading to the movies. A star is born. Should be good. Have a great sober Sunday.

Hawkeye13 10-20-2018 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by RUL23 (Post 7037650)
Checking in on day 14. So far so good. Trying to stay busy....

whats your fav healthy foods to eat in early recovery?

Lots of healthy, unprocessed meat and vegetables. Good fats like extra virgin cold-pressed olive oil and grass-fed butter.

I'm doing better with cravings since I've gone low-carb but you have to do what's good for you.

I also suggest ice cream if you really get tempted.
It's magic

Dee74 10-20-2018 03:30 PM

Congrats to everyone hitting a milestone today :)

D

Misc72 10-20-2018 05:32 PM

Day 5 feelin alive!

SeaSlug 10-20-2018 06:12 PM

Hi there
just checking in. Doing well. Hope everyone is hanging in there! SeaSlug

Spybee007 10-20-2018 11:34 PM

Sign me up for October - day 3 for me.

Kaily 10-20-2018 11:49 PM

Yesterday was a long day. I very nearly went to buy wine several times and even had it in my hand at one point but somehow I managed put it back on the shelf! It's like I am possessed with a drink monster. The beast of AVRT.

So lots of sweets and crisps eaten, lots of pacing up and down, a walk with my dogs and another day sober.

I guess nobody said it was going to be easy!

MythOfSisyphus 10-21-2018 01:21 AM

I'm class of October 2018. You people got this!:You_Rock_

Dee74 10-21-2018 02:41 AM

welcome spybee :)

D

GreenSweater 10-21-2018 03:43 AM

Just checking in. Have a good Sunday, all. I'm very, very busy but delightfully sober.

Neverthought 10-21-2018 05:37 AM

Aaahh....Woke up about 15 minutes ago. What a great night of sleep. Sleep is actually one of my highly regarded motivations in my sobriety package.

I did some chores, fixed a towel rack in the bathroom and cleaned the fish tank yesterday. I’m getting back to who I used to be.

20 days today. I’m traveling to San Antonio for work with my alcy co-worker tomorrow through Thursday. He’s going to be pissed when I tell him I’m not partying with him on this trip.

One of my other motivations are all of you! The story about switching on the light and getting ready to go buy booze really resonated with me. Typically, my plan would be to get a nice buzz, over the weekend or after work. I would limit my purchase for this reason. Then, the “zombie” would take over, I would pop up like a possessed person, make an excuse to go out to my wife, and grab another pint. I’d wake up the next morning and say “what the hell was I thinking. I wasn’t, because it wasn’t me!

Let’s keep the momentum going until it becomes the new way of life!

Hawkeye13 10-21-2018 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Kaily (Post 7037891)
Yesterday was a long day. I very nearly went to buy wine several times and even had it in my hand at one point but somehow I managed put it back on the shelf! It's like I am possessed with a drink monster. The beast of AVRT.

So lots of sweets and crisps eaten, lots of pacing up and down, a walk with my dogs and another day sober.

I guess nobody said it was going to be easy!

It does get easier--really does--just keep sober day by day.

Day 15 today and I'm feeling good today.
I had a little skin rash yesterday which I think was a big detox effort by my body since I've been eating lots of greens and healthy foods. Also I've got a stuffy nose and have been sleeping hard and long every night for at least a week now.

All this seems to be having an over-all good effect on me mentally, and my physical energy is improving day by day.

My mind is also getting clearer--the brain fog is passing.
When I had some real sober time before, my brain got really sharp.

My drinking in this relapse was much less severe than when I quit the first time over five years ago now. It was typically a couple of high alcohol beers on a long weekend, but the effect it had on my older, less tolerant body was really strong.

I actually had to force myself to drink the first one because my body was screaming "no, don't do this to us" but I did it anyway. I used to be a hard-core vodka person, and boy, those days are gone for me. Your body really does break down over time if you keep doing this to yourself. As if we need any other reason to quit. ;)

Anyway, back to the brain fog--which was a big motivator for me to stop again for good--I think for a living, and I found when I had longer-term sobriety, I could understand abstract concepts and mental experiments that I had given up working with while drinking. I really am hoping that happens again.

I've been "testing" myself with podcasts on parallel universes and math string theory (not my area and really hard but interesting for me) and I am getting better at processing, but not there yet. Use it or lose they say, and they may be right. . .

The plan today is get some work caught up on and enjoy the cool weather and being outside for some walks.
I've also started a mindfulness practice which is really helping me and has become a valuable tool in my toolbox.

There is a free meditation app I use and highly suggest called "Insight Timer" (we aren't supposed to link here but easy to find) that has many free guided meditations, plus a timer with bells so you can practice on your own. It tracks everything for you which I find both helpful and motivating.

Their guided sleep meditations really helped me with early sobriety insomnia or when I feel wound up and stressed to sleep.

Does anyone else have tools or other things that are working to suggest?

I learned about the app from another person from SR, and sharing things like that is helpful for all of us.

Happy sober Sunday (or Monday for some)

KinseyMillhone 10-21-2018 06:29 AM

New here, and looking for ways to sustain sobriety. I just had 30 days, but blew it on Friday. Although disappointing, my addiction has showed itself to me a formidable opponent.

Hoping to join the October team!

biminiblue 10-21-2018 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by KinseyMillhone (Post 7038061)
New here, and looking for ways to sustain sobriety. I just had 30 days, but blew it on Friday. Although disappointing, my addiction has showed itself to me a formidable opponent.

Hoping to join the October team!

Welcome! I'm a big Grafton fan. :)

Keep posting, and reading. This place is pretty good for sobriety support!

Purplrks3647 10-21-2018 07:19 AM

Hello Friends :wavey:

I'd like to join this class if that's okay....Day 11 here....after multiple attempts to moderate, and we know how that goes....

Looking forward to getting to know you guys....Glad to be here! :c017: