SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   On My Way # 5 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/402911-my-way-5-a.html)

Gonnachange 01-27-2017 08:03 AM

My original exercise plan was to do a solo workout at the gym, but my elbow, which has been bothering me for months has really flared up and simple non weight bearing tasks have become uncomfortable. I'm pretty sure it's tendonitis and what I've been doing has only been providing temporary relief so I'm doing possibly the worst thing conducting some internet research about how to best diagnose and then cure the issue. Fortunately, I have many years in the medical field so there's no chance I'll misdiagnose myself or attempt the wrong remedy. :no: NOT! Accordingly, exercise today will be some more walking with the intention of going to the gym tomorrow AM to move some iron while making some modifications to my routine.

Because a request for more protein was made for last night's dinner I also included shrimp and the experiment was a hit so I'll be making it again. I have no idea what I'll be cooking tonight in part because I don't know how many people I'm cooking for. Once I figure out who will be here I'll work on a plan.

Since tonight is the last Friday of the month my wife and I are doing our usual thing and are going to watch our acquaintance's band play at a local bar.

Gonnachange 01-27-2017 12:46 PM

We're going to have five around the dinner table tonight. Me, my wife, my kids, and my daughter's boyfriend. Baked breaded chicken leg quarters, suggested by my daughter; roasted Brussels sprouts; and kasha (buckwheat) are on the menu.

Gonnachange 01-28-2017 09:34 AM

I had a fine time last night listening to music with my wife, my kids, my daughter's boyfriend, and our next door neighbor. We only stayed for the first set because my wife and I had to be up early to attend a hardcore strength and stamina class this morning.

We'll be seeing some of the same people that were in this morning's class tonight at a party that one of the "regulars" is hosting at her house. It should be interesting as I've never seen any of these folks outside of the gym. I won't be cooking dinner at home, but will be making a spring mix salad and mustard vinaigrette dressing and my wife is baking brownies.

I don't think tonight is going to be a late one, but regardless I'll be at the gym tomorrow AM.

Gonnachange 01-29-2017 08:45 AM

Well, I was wrong about last night not being a late one, but I was right about me (and my wife) being at the gym this morning. At the party I made wise food and beverage choices and used very good portion control so I have that to point to.

Today's class was a circuit of ten exercises, some for agility, some for strength, some for stamina, or a combination. Aside from dog walks and maybe one with my wife I won't be doing much physically for the rest of the day.

I'm undecided about dinner, but the refrigerator is packed so I may make tonight a leftover night or save that idea for an easy weekday dinner.

Gonnachange 01-30-2017 10:38 AM

I was the gym this morning for my regularly scheduled session with my trainer.

2 warm up rounds of:

30 jumping jacks
20 squats
10 pushups

3 rounds of:

Close grip lat pulldowns
Db squat presses
Db curls
Bosu ball pushups with knee thrusts
Ab wheel rollouts
Seated bench rows
Bench dips
Db bench rows
Planks
Heavy rope fun

For dinner last night I wound up baking boneless pork tenderloin that I dry marinated with a multi spice rub and served a spring mix salad on the side. Tonight's offerings are going to be baked portabella mushrooms stuffed with sautéed spinach and garlic and topped with mozzarella cheese with a side of rice that I'm going to season with a light curry-esque concoction of spices.

Gonnachange 01-31-2017 09:29 AM

It's snowing and 27F, but I still went for a 2.5 mile run. There was no wind so it wasn't too bad.

Dinner tonight is going to be salmon burgers, oven baked French fries, and a salad using Romaine lettuce.

Bobbieka 01-31-2017 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Gonnachange (Post 6314605)
It's snowing and 27F, but I still went for a 2.5 mile run. There was no wind so it wasn't too bad.

Dinner tonight is going to be salmon burgers, oven baked French fries, and a salad using Romaine lettuce.

I'm jealous you have snow. We haven't had any to mention. Just ice.

Salmon burgers are awesome!

Gonnachange 01-31-2017 09:44 AM

I'm no fan of snow, but it's better than ice. Fortunately, we're only going to get a few inches of accumulation so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle. The streets are clear due to sanding and the snow is light so shoveling will be easy.

Yeah, salmon burgers FTW!

Gonnachange 02-01-2017 10:41 AM

No exercise yet, but I'll be at the gym tonight at 6:30.

My son goes back to college tomorrow and he and I went out for his breakfast and a midday snack for me. :lol: Chocolate chip pancakes for him and French onion soup for me. Dinner tonight is going to be a roast cooked in my slow cooker with Guinness, beef broth, garlic, and black pepper. The sides are going to be a salad and a to be determined grain.

Gonnachange 02-02-2017 09:15 AM

Last night's strength and stamina class used a different format than usual. Six exercises using kettle bells, dumbbells and planks, which obviously didn't need any equipment. Three 15 minute rounds with a minute rest in between. We started with one rep of each exercise, then 2, then 3, until it was rest time. After the rest we started off where we ended. Everybody went at their own pace. I misunderstood the procedure, thinking after the rest we would start back at 1 rep so I chose weights that were too heavy. IIRC the exercises were:

Db squat presses
Db split leg lunges
Around the world planks
Single arm Kb swings
Kb rows
Kb figure 8's

After that we broke up into two groups and lined up opposing each other. Team 1 had to do 10 jump squats while Team 2 held a squat position. Then teams switched roles. The sequence repeated itself with a one rep reduction in jump squats until we got to 1.

Exercise for today is going to be walking and helping my son load up his car. Clearly not too strenuous, but a mini rest day is probably called for. I'm not sure when the next time we'll see my son.

I won't be cooking tonight because we're going to a catered art exhibit that is featuring one of my daughter's friends.

Gonnachange 02-02-2017 02:34 PM

For the 2013-2014 academic year my daughter was in Ireland and lived with two women who were citizens. Now that they've all graduated one of the two is working in her homeland and one is working and living in NYC. A couple of days ago the one still living in Ireland flew to the States and both of my daughter's friends came here a short while ago to spend the night. Although I'm not directly part of it, presently it's a festive house.

My son is safely back in his university apartment and while I'm not looking forward to going tonight's art exhibit for a number of reasons all is good.

Depending upon the ladies' plans I'm willing to cook them breakfast tomorrow before heading to the gym. If they chose otherwise, that's okay also; I just want to give them the option.

Gonnachange 02-03-2017 06:18 AM

The art exhibit was about what I expected, including some minor pressure to buy something that I resisted. Although there was food at the event, afterward my wife and I took my daughter, her two Irish friends, and another friend to a Thai restaurant for dinner.

I'll be at the gym in a couple of hours for a light leg day. Squats, deads, presses, extensions, and calf raises will be on the menu.

At around 5 tonight I'm going to meet a friend of mine for a couple of drinks (club soda for me) before coming home for a to be determined dinner. Right now the frontrunner is shrimp and grits with a side salad.

Gonnachange 02-04-2017 09:03 AM

Dinner last night was the shrimp, grits, and salad that I mentioned.

Today got started with a strength and stamina class.

This afternoon we're going to my inlaws' house to celebrate my FIL's 85th b'day and tonight we're going to a dinner party in town.

SoberLeigh 02-05-2017 07:41 AM

Hello, GC.

Do you have any Super Bowl plans for today?

My husband decided he wanted to have a game gathering at our home; 30 some people will be arriving later in the day.

I love to entertain but, egads, this is a little 'much' for me; I am looking for a place to hide.

Gonnachange 02-05-2017 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh (Post 6320803)
Hello, GC.

Do you have any Super Bowl plans for today?

My husband decided he wanted to have a game gathering at our home; 30 some people will be arriving later in the day.

I love to entertain but, egads, this is a little 'much' for me; I am looking for a place to hide.

That's a lot of folks. I don't know if you're a football fan, but if so I hope you get to enjoy the gym. My wife did throw out the notion of hosting a party, but for a number of reasons I had no interest. Some of the reasons were:

1. I didn't want to plan a menu.
2. I didn't want to cook for a lot of people.
3. I want to watch the game and not be surrounded by a number of people who have no inherent interest in the game or any knowledge of football. They're always the ones who read something this morning and feel obligated to tell me how the game is played and/or some tidbit about a player that is common knowledge.
4. Having hosted SB parties before I know from experience that even with my wife's considerable help I spend just enough time playing host that I don't get to really watch the game and just enough time watching the game to not be a great host. Lose-lose. :lol:

All that written, I am having a couple of friends come to the house. Hanging out with a couple of guys who understand football is fine with me; my wife and I won't have to work very hard and I can enjoy the game in the company of some good friends. I'll be serving:

Shrimp and avocado quesadillas
Black bean and corn salsa with tortilla chips
Baked Buffalo chicken wings
Smoked cheddar on crackers

Update

Between yesterday afternoon and last night it was a festive time for me and my wife. Food and beverage choices were okay as was portion control. I put extra emphasis on hydration so I was feeling fine this morning as my wife and I headed to the gym.

After warm ups, today's scenario consisted of 7 rounds of:

TRX rows
Kb squats
Elephant walks
Kb reverse lunges
Pushups
Heavy rope fun

Each exercise was for 40 seconds with 30 seconds of rest between each round. I can't really characterize the time between exercises as rest as everyone was hustling to the next station.

SoberLeigh 02-05-2017 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Gonnachange (Post 6320884)
That's a lot of folks. I don't know if you're a football fan, but if so I hope you get to enjoy the gym. My wife did throw out the notion of hosting a party, but for a number of reasons I had no interest. Some of the reasons were:

1. I didn't want to plan a menu.
2. I didn't want to cook for a lot of people.
3. I want to watch the game and not be surrounded by a number of people who have no inherent interest in the game or any knowledge of football. They're always the ones who read something this morning and feel obligated to tell me how the game is played and/or some tidbit about a player that is common knowledge.
4. Having hosted SB parties before I know from experience that even with my wife's considerable help I spend just enough time playing host that I don't get to really watch the game and just enough time watching the game to not be a great host. Lose-lose. :lol:

All that written, I am having a couple of friends come to the house. Hanging out with a couple of guys who understand football is fine with me; my wife and I won't have to work very hard and I can enjoy the game in the company of some good friends. I'll be serving:

Shrimp and avocado quesadillas
Black bean and corn salsa with tortilla chips
Baked Buffalo chicken wings
Smoked cheddar on crackers

Update

Between yesterday afternoon and last night it was a festive time for me and my wife. Food and beverage choices were okay as was portion control. I put extra emphasis on hydration so I was feeling fine this morning as my wife and I headed to the gym.

After warm ups, today's scenario consisted of 7 rounds of:

TRX rows
Kb squats
Elephant walks
Kb reverse lunges
Pushups
Heavy rope fun

Each exercise was for 40 seconds with 30 seconds of rest between each round. I can't really characterize the time between exercises as rest as everyone was hustling to the next station.

Okay, I've found my place to hide; I'll be right over!

Gonnachange 02-05-2017 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh (Post 6320892)

Okay, I've found my place to hide; I'll be right over!

Thanks for your kind words. What will you be serving?

SoberLeigh 02-05-2017 09:09 AM

Very casual fare:

Turkey chili, beef chili (both with lots of side-toppings), cornbread, quick artesian bread, taco soup.

Brownies, chocolate chip and oatmeal cookies for dessert. Others are bringing appetizers - thank God!!!!!

Gonnachange 02-05-2017 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh (Post 6320904)
Very casual fare:

Turkey chili, beef chili (both with lots of side-toppings), cornbread, quick artesian bread, taco soup.

Brownies, chocolate chip and oatmeal cookies for dessert. Others are bringing appetizers - thank God!!!!!

Casual fits in with the nature of a Super Bowl party. That sounds like a fine menu, especially for a crowd and I'm sure your guests will be happy when they leave with full bellies.

SoberLeigh 02-05-2017 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Gonnachange (Post 6320908)
Casual fits in with the nature of a Super Bowl party. That sounds like a fine menu, especially for a crowd and I'm sure your guests will be happy when they leave with full bellies.

Hope so!!!!!!