SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of April 2016 Part 8 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/398032-class-april-2016-part-8-a.html)

Midwest1981 11-04-2016 10:24 AM

I am just checking in.

I did a class at the gym and now I am drinking green tea and putting off cleaning house and reading on SR.

kopfan 11-04-2016 01:26 PM

Good going Midwest!

I was thinking of getting back to the spinning classes, I used to absolutely love them. Perhaps it's time to go back.

This time I won't be drinking afterwards as my "reward" for "punishing" myself. What a messed up person I was!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Belier 11-04-2016 04:03 PM

Just checking in also to say hi, have a nice weekend all!

suzie89 11-05-2016 05:19 AM

Hi Belier and all. Have a wonderful weekend. I'm about to meet my sponsor for coffee then a meeting.

stargazer016 11-05-2016 09:28 AM

Just wanted to say "Hi" to all of you awesome April 2016ers!

Congrats on hitting six plus months sober! I remember once reading that only 5% of people whom try to quit make it three months without a relapse. Well, you all deserve a huge pat on the back for developing a sobriety plan and sticking to it!

I remember feeling some mixed emotions at this point last year. I was happy to have made it six months sober and beyond the period of cravings and huge urges. I think part of me thought that I would be further along emotionally than I was at the time. Now I realize just how long my body and my mind are taking to heal from decades of drinking. It's not something that just happens, it takes a lot of effort from each of us. This is not a bad thing, it's hugely positive. If you find yourself ever being discouraged, remember how far each of you has come in your journey. It slowly gets better every day.

I realize now at 18 plus months sober, this is a life long adventure we have embarked upon in April! It's one step at a time.

Life only gets better without alcohol. Trust me!

Have a great weekend all!

Midwest1981 11-05-2016 04:53 PM

Kopfan-
I think the spinning class sounds really fun.

thanks for your post Stargazer! I agree with the part you said about not feeling further along emotionally. It really does take time but it is worth it.
I am going through a phase were I am really hard on myself. Just about every little thing. Like I think I have to be perfect and everyone has to like me and be my friend. I am even annoying myself! lol

I need to just be myself....but who is myself? ugh. lol.

kopfan 11-06-2016 09:08 AM

Thanks for your post and words of encouragement Stargazer!

Belier 11-07-2016 02:34 AM

I wanted to share this with you all. the other day I went to lunch with a dear friend of mine and she ordered a glass of wine and looked at me sadly and said are you sure you are ok, I am sorry. I replied, please don't be sorry, you would not be sorry if you knew what a truly special gift I have given myself by not drinking and now not wanting to. I proceeded to say that I don't see it that I am missing anything rather that I have given myself back the gift of truly being me. it came out without me even thinking of the words, they just flowed from the knowing place in side of me.

Dee74 11-07-2016 03:08 AM

Good one Belier :)

D

Midwest1981 11-07-2016 04:25 AM

That is great Belier! I am happy you are in a good place.
:)

kopfan 11-07-2016 10:12 PM

Morning Everyone!

Midwest1981 11-08-2016 03:53 AM

morning Kopfan!

My birthday is this week!! I'll be celebrating sober!

josec77 11-08-2016 06:34 AM

Giving the body what it needs to heal. Part 2 Vitamin B

Vitamin B Depletion

The most common deficiencies from alcoholism include thiamine, pyridoxine and folic acid, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center. Thiamine, a B vitamin found in meat, grains and yeast, helps metabolize carbohydrates. Fish, liver, cereals and yeast contain pyridoxine, or vitamin B-6. Green vegetables, fruit and liver contain folic acid, also a B vitamin. B vitamin foods also include poultry, nuts, brown rice and dairy products. Broccoli, asparagus, potatoes, bananas, apricots and figs contain B vitamins.

Deficiency Problems

Deficiencies in the B vitamins can result in anemia or neurological problems. In the late stages of alcoholism, the deficiencies may lead to Korsakoff's syndrome, also known as "wet brain," which prevents the proper absorption of nutrients and causes serious mental impairment and brain disorders.

Fix is to take a B-complex supplement.

Dee74 11-08-2016 01:43 PM

I think my multivitamin helped me in the early days for sure - but I feel like I should add that any supplement needs to be checked out with your Doc -what works for some may not be suitable for others :)

D

Midwest1981 11-09-2016 06:08 AM

Good morning!! my lymph nodes are swollen. I am trying to beat something. I guess a cold.

Happy to be sober! :grouphug:

kopfan 11-09-2016 06:15 AM

Get well soon Midwest.

200 days here. Pleased with that. :c011:

Midwest1981 11-09-2016 07:12 AM

thank you Kopfan!

Congratulations on 200 days Kopfan! :You_Rock_

josec77 11-09-2016 07:24 AM

Congratz Kopfan on 200 days. :You_Rock_

Feel better Midwest. :grouphug:

josec77 11-09-2016 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 6201866)
I think my multivitamin helped me in the early days for sure - but I feel like I should add that any supplement needs to be checked out with your Doc -what works for some may not be suitable for others :)

D

So true

Dee74 11-09-2016 01:48 PM

get well soon midwest :)
congrats on 200 kopfan - that is seriously good to read :)

D